• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto ratings soar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zaccheus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I honestly couldnt stand watching it. I was hoping it would be good, but I thought it totally sucked. Terrible voice acting, hundreds of mispronounciations, and many edits [both in dialogue and blood | but more with the dialogue, they really slimmed it down and added stuff]. I, and along with the many Naruto fans I know, were pissed at what we saw. They so dropped the ball.

I think that the only people who are upset, like me, are the already existing Naruto fans. Those not already exposed to this manga/anime, or those too young to realize the poor quality, will probably enjoy this. Its not surprising that children were the main audience for the US debut.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:18 pm Reply with quote
What's interesting is that it got far more viewers at its ten o' clock showing, even though that was a repeat. I wonder if CN will move Naruto to ten soon to take advantage of this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Zaccheus wrote:
Terrible voice acting, hundreds of mispronounciations, and many edits [both in dialogue and blood | but more with the dialogue, they really slimmed it down and added stuff]. I, and along with the many Naruto fans I know, were pissed at what we saw. They so dropped the ball.

I think that the only people who are upset, like me, are the already existing Naruto fans. Those not already exposed to this manga/anime, or those too young to realize the poor quality, will probably enjoy this. Its not surprising that children were the main audience for the US debut.

Please list at least one hundred mispronunciations you saw in the episode.

Also please show me what classes you've taken or books you've read on performance or perfomance theory that qualify you to be a good judge of acting quality.

Also please show me where it's proven that Naruto is not a children's show.
emory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Zaccheus wrote:
Its not surprising that children were the main audience for the US debut.

It's not? I mean, the show IS made for children.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Every Naruto fan I know liked it. Actually I think this is the first time I've seen someone say they didn't like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know what the final overall number was?

Nielsen's website doesn't give specifics but the 8th-10th top cable programs from 9/5-9/11 had an overall rating of 2.9 with an average viewership of about 4 mil. If anyone can dig up Naruto's other stats, we can compare.
RyoShin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
That really is too bad that you let something like international translations persuade you to hate what was otherwise a great dub. Were there some mispronounciations? You betcha. Can't remember any off the top of my head, but that's to be expected when you are saying Japanese names with English as a first language (and little to no Japanese skills.)

Some of the edits were a little strange (like the removal of the nose-bleed rockets,) and some missing edits were unexpected (Sexy Technique in pure form?!), but even those are minor compared to the rest of the show. Those of us not already used to the difference in the voices will be used to them in about four episodes, and a lot of them are pretty good.

The dub for Naruto has gone above and beyond my expectations for the TV airing, and I am pleasently pleased. I'll most likely watch it every Saturday, even though I've already seen the episodes before.

Part of the reason for the large surge is probably due to the huge American following to Naruto due to Fansubs. I am not surprised (but am not dissapointed) with the ratings, and I hope that Naruto continues to remain in this mostly-unedited form with high ratings, to show CN that Toonami can have something more 'edgy'.

(Though I know that my mother would blow a gasket if she saw my little brother watching it, and Naruto used the Sexy Technique at that moment, heh. But she's kind of a religious fanatic.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Does anyone know what the final overall number was?

Nielsen's website doesn't give specifics but the 8th-10th top cable programs from 9/5-9/11 had an overall rating of 2.9 with an average viewership of about 4 mil. If anyone can dig up Naruto's other stats, we can compare.

Nielsen only allows a certain number of top rated programming to be published. Everything else is left behind the scenes, so we won't know the final number. At least for this showing. If it attains DBZ sized ratings in the future, THEN we shall know.

Last edited by emory on Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaguarSavage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty good aside from Naruto's voice. It just doesn't seem to match, but maybe it's just me :-/ They could have at least use a male for his voice >_<
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
JaguarSavage wrote:
I thought it was pretty good aside from Naruto's voice. It just doesn't seem to match, but maybe it's just me :-/ They could have at least use a male for his voice Anime hyper

Isn't his Japanese voice female?
poweranime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
After watching the first 2 eps. over and over again via fansub at my shop, I thought the Dub Edition was pretty good... i mean, the voice are pretty dead on... which was a blessing and a slight problem at the same time (high squeaking voice in Japanese... cute... high squeaky voice in english... annoying as hell!)

I didn't feel there were too many slip ups in the translations, then again I don't speak japanese so I coudn't really say... but the story made sense to me otherwise...

The ultimate test was seeing my wife's reaction to Shikamaru's voice... she didn't whince, so that is a good sign!

now all we need to do is wait until July for the Uncut DVD's.... eh....
Serge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
What really surprised me is that they didn't Edit the Show that much, they used the word "Kill" and Little Japanese Kanji was removed..

And Yep, the Dub was pretty cool, the opening was Catchy.
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Interesting . . I honestly thought the Naruto dub wouldn't have many viewers w/ the fansub getting 200,000+ downloads an episode, but maybe those demographics haven't seen the fansub yet (which seems more of an high school/college hobby) and learned about it from word of mouth.

It's hard to judge if the series is a success from the first episode, so we'll see if it can sustain those ratings over the next month. If they sustain the quality of the dub, it might be possible, though all those half-episode flashbacking in the Zabuza fight might turn off some viewers. Then again, DBZ had 100x more filler/flashbacking and dubbed pretty badly, and they still ended up king of the anime mountain so who knows.
emory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
Interesting . . I honestly thought the Naruto dub wouldn't have many viewers w/ the fansub getting 200,000+ downloads an episode

Most of those people are between the ages of 12 and 24. These ratings are for the age groups between 6 and 14.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
Interesting . . I honestly thought the Naruto dub wouldn't have many viewers w/ the fansub getting 200,000+ downloads an episode, but maybe those demographics haven't seen the fansub yet (which seems more of an high school/college hobby) and learned about it from word of mouth.

What, like CHILDREN, maybe?

I can't see how anyone can complain about the treatment of Naruto. They left "jutsu", "Hokage", "sensei" and "ramen" untranslated (ramen may not seem a big deal, but remember "donuts" in 4kids shows?). They pronounced Sasuke's name right when I was sure we'd have to deal with SaSUke. Naruto said "I'll kill you!"! "I'll kill you"! Don't you remember all those awkward time someone threatened to "destroy" someone in older dubs? THEY KEEP THE SEXY NO JUTSU.

Contrast this with what happened to One Piece.

You always hear how children's anime has to be edited to make it on American TV, but Naruto's gotten off REALLY easy so far. It's a truly competant and respectful treatment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8