• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Game Show now with BounceTek

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Bought a 3DS and I love Kid Icarus Uprising, tremendous amounts of fun, and the music alone sells it for stuff like Lightning Battle.

As for consoles, I plan to eventually get a Wii U and PS4 (I own PS1, 2, and 3) since I owned a Wii and PS3 this generation and both had great games with them.

My thoughts on Microsoft all of a sudden morphing into Steam is that they cant even guarantee that they are going to make a good OS let alone a good distribution service like Steam. I mean just look at what Microsoft is saying they come off as completely clueless and arrogant, at one point Mattrick stated that anyone who cant connect to the internet should just buy an Xbox 360 instead. You are expecting MS to drop the price of Halo 20-40 dollars after one year after that statement?

Super Mario Bros 2 is still my favorite Mario game because you could play as 4 unique characters.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The reason Kingdom Hearts 3 took so long was because of Versus 13. Since the director is the same he worked on Versus first then planned on 3. Of course Versus turned to 15 because it's taken 7 years for that to go anywhere. Which is why you have all the spin off games. Very important ones too, the 3DS game is the lead up to the third game. You need to know the story of that game to understand what happens in the next one.

Yeah it's been pretty abysmal how they've handled these games.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
This is a question not having to do with this podcast:

Will another Super Manga Pals podcast be coming up within the next few months? Looking back, I notice that they tend to rotate every 6 months or so. I've gotten a lot more into manga, and so those podcasts are some of the ones I most look forward to. Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Ohh Dead Rising Sad It joins the ranks of Silent Hill and Metroid of franchises where when western developers get their hands on them they turn them into generic action/shooters. I'll miss putting on a Kobun helmet and going around fighting fun and creative psychopaths and using a buncha makeshift weapons. Guns were always mediocre in these games and not that reliable, now they're the core focus.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I bought a Wii U around launch time and though I don't have a giant assortment of physical games for it, and I do agree that it's had an embarrassingly slow release schedule, I think there is more than enough right now to make it worth getting.

ZombiU is great, suspenseful fun, Lego City Undercover is a silly mix of GTA & the Lego games, New Super Mario Bros. U is good-old 2D Mario fun, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is addictive (as mentioned), and I'm one of the (seeming) few who does enjoy Tank! Tank! Tank! (I bought the disc version when it came out). There's also some great potential with the eShop in terms of digital offerings.

But that's just the exclusives, and the multi-platform titles are also great on the Wii U. Tekken Tag 2 for Wii U is easily the best version of the game in terms of content, and the same goes for Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (though Warriors/Musou games are a love-it-or-hate-it thing; I love these games). I'm not always a big racing game fan, but NFS Most Wanted U is awesome & Sonic All Starts Racing Transformed is godly (Mario Kart 8 really has to deliver). I bought Injustice for Wii U as well, and though it sucks that the DLC won't be available until this Summer the main game itself is really good, too (admittedly, I just want to play as Lobo when it comes to DLC, though). Then there's the Virtual Console, too, which is still just starting but already has some great offerings, plus the monthly $0.30 sale on certain NES & SNES games has just been awesome.

To be honest, when it comes to what was shown at E3, I think the Wii U had the best line-up. Mario 3D World looks great, Mario Kart 8 is the first Mario Kart game to really have my full interest, Bayonetta 2 looks insanely fun, Sonic Lost World also looks interesting (Colors & Generation were excellent Sonic games, so I'm hoping Lost World can continue off of those), Wind Waker HD is cool for me because I never played the GC original, and Smash Bros. should be as fun as it always was (Mega Man is a great bonus). Also, Monolith Soft's X does look amazing.

In terms of multi-platform titles, though, I'll likely go with the Wii U version, if only because of the potential extra content/gameplay options that the Gamepad can offer. For example, when D&D: Chronicles of Mystara comes out next week I'll be getting it on the Wii U for two reasons: The Gamepad can act as an inventory screen (seemingly essential for a D&D game) & the ability of off-screen play. Really, off-screen play is just awesome in general and makes it worth buying on the Wii U in general, usually. I do agree that there is potential for the Wii U to become "The Next Dreamcast", but at the same time you know people will be buying up systems once those first-party offerings start coming out, and with the system being the cheapest of the three Nintendo still might come out as a good "impulse buy" come this holiday for some people.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the Lightning Returns is shaping up to be great. 100 different outfits to dress Lightning up in, plus accessory customization like little hats, accessories, bunny ears, and other things to adorn her with. It sounds great for us Lightning fanboys.

And yes, there's a catgirl Lightning since it was mentioned.

Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
I will have to eventually buy 3ds. There are so many good games coming out, I cannot possibly pass up. The only problem I still have with 3ds is that it's region locked. With a game availability like Australian retail, it sucks.

Microsoft trying to become Steam I find it really cute and Laughing They don't even have a word sales or bargain in their dictionary.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
The thing about Steam is that it's entirely digital. I don't really expect to be able to sell something I own digitally. And I don't really see that as a DRM issue per se. It just seems like the infrastructure isn't really there to be able to do so. Of course, it's true that in the most literal sense, were there no DRM at all, you could sell something you own digitally...but then there's gonna be literally nothing to stop you from just keeping your own copy and basically just sharing your digital copy ad nauseam. I don't like DRM. But I can't pretend it isn't a necessity on PC to some degree. So yeah. No real issue with steam. XBone on the other hand...no. When I buy a physical copy of something I expect to have full control of it. The idea that I shouldn't be free to sell it or lend it or do whatever I want with it even though none of the above applies at all is unacceptable. It's just Microsoft blatantly trying to control their customers.
------------------------------------
Sony's rep could have literally just gone out there and been like "$399 motherfuckers! No used blocking!" and dropped the mike. They'd have still won E3.
I don't think Zac should be allowed to complain about Bioshock Infinite if he likes Heavy Rain. Wink
Haven't pre-ordered PS4. At $400 I'll probably get one more or less as soon as there is a game I want. But I just don't see the point when there's usually nothing on launch day. I'll probably just get one in the new year.
"Hanging out with your bros and fighting in magical mobster crystal land." What part of that doesn't sound fun to you? Laughing
It's pretty easy to hate an individual Final Fantasy but still love the series as a whole and be super hyped for a new one. They're practically different games.
The system exclusive guide: Is the IP actually owned by Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo?
Yes -> It's exclusive.
No -> It probably isn't or at least not for long.
That's just how it is these days. It's stupid for any 3rd party company to ever not maximize their audience by being on every platform possible.
I think bros will still buy the Xbox. I agree that the price may have more of a negative impact though. PS3 got murdered for the first three years of its generation precisely because of the price. You've essentially got two largely identical products at least from the perspective of the more casual consumer who doesn't know/care about DRM. They're gonna go with the cheaper one.
I'm gonna wait until near the end of the generation before I think about buying a Wii U. For one, I'm still holding out a perverse hope that the Wii U will go the way of the Dreamcast and a bunch of its stuff will get ported to a real system. But if it doesn't then at least the price will be super low and I'd feel better dropping a bunch of money on a console only for a handful of games if I can play said games all at once and not over a period of years.

Honestly though, there are less and less Nintendo games that really excite me. They're bloody lucky they own Monolith. Right now X is the only thing I'm really super excited for. Pikmin 3 is a potentially huge incentive...but only if they go back to the open environment and timed exploration/development of the first one (which is one of my all time favourites) and ditch that dungeon BS from Pikmin 2. The next Zelda is something I'd really like to play. But Skyward was super disappointing so a new Zelda isn't quite the must play it once was.

Other than that...eh. I'm over Mario. I love 64 and Sunshine but Galaxy did nothing for me. I don't even know why. I'd probably still play Mario if I already had a Wii U but it ain't an incentive to get one. And I am [expletive] done with Mariokart and SSB. There is just NO significant benefit to playing a new instalment of those games. The last good Metroid console game was Prime 2 and Other M was just a travesty. I'd play the heck out of a 3D Donkey Kong like 64 but the 2D ones have never especially interested me.

So yeah. Unless Nintendo really comes out of left field with something I doubt there will be more than a few games that really make me want a Wii U.
David Cage is the most pretentious douche in the whole industry. Which I might forgive to some degree if he wasn't also a completely shitty developer. It's insufferable to listen to him champion graphics and talk about emotion when his games have none.
Wait is that what was going on in Heavy Rain!? He was psychic? Huh. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than it just being one massive red herring.
Drivetar sound really drivetarded.
Sony will probably never actually cancel Last Guardian. They'll just never announce it for PS4, the PS3 will become obsolete and Guardian will fade into oblivion along with it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote
I hope Nintendo pushes Monolithsoft's new RPG this time around and not make the game hard to get once all the first pressings are sold out unlike Xenoblade.

As for Final Fantasy XV, well this blog post I discovered pretty much covered most of my feelings:

http://dreamsofawalrus.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/final-fantasy-xv-a-game-of-sausages/
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope Nintendo pushes Monolithsoft's new RPG this time around and not make the game hard to get once all the first pressings are sold out unlike Xenoblade.

As for Final Fantasy XV, well this blog post I discovered pretty much covered most of my feelings:

http://dreamsofawalrus.wordpress.com/2013/06/12/final-fantasy-xv-a-game-of-sausages/
My god that was painful to read.

We just had 3 installments where the lead was not only female, but was basically made the central image of the games.

And so now, it's terrible that in it's first showing as XV, the game has shown a male cast?

Lets ignore that in previous showings it was shown that a female character is basicly an exact equal to Noctis and most likly is extrmley plot relevant.

Lets ignore the context that was been shown is only the beginning of the game and from the outset it's shown that the cast is made of Noctis' close friends, who of course would be around at his home when he is attacked. And his close friends would probably be male as well.

Lets ignore that we probably have not seen more then 5% of the game and hell it's clear there are at least two female characters and probably more.

Lets ignore that FF games have always had more men in the vast then women.

Lets ignore all of this to make up an argument about a game that we don't know that much about.

There's no trend here and no anti-female conspiracy. The last FF games have had females in main roles, though how you relate to them beyond them happening to be women I don't know. This one just happens to have a big male cast. Probably, because it's about a dude and his friends. Maybe the next one won't.

Between this and the people complaining about having too many dudes and not enough cute girls for their virtual harems(which is creepy) I never knew the gender make-up of these games was a big deal. And I wish I did'nt. Seems kind of dumb to me.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
lostrune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

"Fujoshi" and "feminists" don't seem to see eye to eye, I guess. Laughing One side loves having shows and games with pretty boys with minimal females so they can get their BL and the other hates that there's only men in these things and thinks its some male power fantasy conspiracy. Perspective.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The whole Xbox One DRM and always online thing makes zero sense to me. I understand wanting DRM hell I use Steam for most of my gaming needs and that service is basically DRM. That is fine.

But this needing to connect to the internet at least once every 24 hours is downright stupid. Doesn't MS realize the infrastructure in this country is terrible in large chunks of it? I mean there are plenty of people in out of the way little towns that are still chugging along with Dial Up or in some cases nothing at all. Those people who might have bought a 360 can't even use a Xbox One because of the 24 hour check in. Beyond that there are still issues to attend to. I myself for example have pretty nice internet speeds. My ISP however are inept morons who cause out signal to weaken or drop quite often. So I could be in a position in which my ISP being stupid would prevent me from play a game that I bought and own. Makes no sense to me. There has to be something a little better that they can do to kinda combat that.

As for E3 itself my favorite thing I saw by far was Infamous Second Son. Infamous 2 is one of my favorite games ever and Second Son looks to be just as good but with added next gen benefits thrown in.

The Division also looked good to me(I care pretty much only about game play so I don't even care about what the guys were talking about in regards it's possible plot or message or whatever) Destiny also looked nice although I would like to see how deep both Destiny and The Division are before buying.

I thought FFXV looked great but I still don't expect it to be out for another year or 2 so hard to get super excited for it.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm gonna wait until near the end of the generation before I think about buying a Wii U. For one, I'm still holding out a perverse hope that the Wii U will go the way of the Dreamcast and a bunch of its stuff will get ported to a real system.

If anything, the Wii U is the only "real" console left. The Xbox One and PS4 are multimedia devices completely packed and bloated with features and apps I don't give a damn about. I haven't played my PS3 since finishing Tales of Graces f, and that was after dusting it off for the first time in months because I hate working the OS of modern consoles.

I've turned mainly to handheld gaming with my 3DS and have pretty much never looked back. I am looking forward to picking up a Wii U at some point, though.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I'm gonna wait until near the end of the generation before I think about buying a Wii U. For one, I'm still holding out a perverse hope that the Wii U will go the way of the Dreamcast and a bunch of its stuff will get ported to a real system.

If anything, the Wii U is the only "real" console left. The Xbox One and PS4 are multimedia devices completely packed and bloated with features and apps I don't give a damn about. I haven't played my PS3 since finishing Tales of Graces f, and that was after dusting it off for the first time in months because I hate working the OS of modern consoles.

I've turned mainly to handheld gaming with my 3DS and have pretty much never looked back. I am looking forward to picking up a Wii U at some point, though.

?? The 3DS's interface is dramatically more clumsy and unintuitive than the PS3. That was my main complaint about that thing - plenty of great games but that interface suuuuucks.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

?? The 3DS's interface is dramatically more clumsy and unintuitive than the PS3. That was my main complaint about that thing - plenty of great games but that interface suuuuucks.

Yes, but I have to put up with infinitely less crap to just play games. I got sick of all the constant updating and game installing. Also, I'm not sure if they fixed it, but the overhaul they gave the PSN about a year ago completely turned me off. It took me forever to find anything I was looking for. If they fixed the search function, fine, but I never quite adapted to all the bells and whistles that accompany video games now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2