• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Story of the Class

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Shadowwlf569 wrote:
I am a bit dissapointed that the VN will be censored but I can see what they're going for. Unfortunately it will most likely end up hurting them in the end because the censorship doesn't always stop at just the H scenes.

The censorship didn't stop at H scenes this time.
  • Kissing scenes edited to remove lips/tongues touching
  • Bathing scenes edited by adding towels
  • Dialogue edited to remove sexual humor and references

I'm also puzzled why they chose a VN that includes a "friends with benefits" relationship and twincest. Neither of those can be edited around without creating a giant mess.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
This is why I have always loved Suikoden. I can have all female, all male, or a combination of the two sexes because there are 108 characters to chose from.

Although how is FF8 pandering to women? It probably has the best female line up of any game in the series, having something for everyone's taste, well if you are male. You have Riona the beauty/Yamato Nadeshiko, Quists the older glasses girl, Selphie the cute button, and Edena a smoking fox villain. And you even got the wind girl, token tomboy. Im not even counting alternative world characters.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Although how is FF8 pandering to women?

A lot of the male lead characters in FF8 are attractive to women, and there's a strong focus on romance in the story. I remember when FF8 came out in the late 90's, I was in high school and I was initially surprised that a number of girls actually seemed to be getting interested in the Final Fantasy series. I'd say FF8 was the first entry that really brought female gamers into the franchise, largely because of the handsome male cast and the emphasis on the love story.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Although how is FF8 pandering to women?

A lot of the male lead characters in FF8 are attractive to women, and there's a strong focus on romance in the story. I remember when FF8 came out in the late 90's, I was in high school and I was initially surprised that a number of girls actually seemed to be getting interested in the Final Fantasy series. I'd say FF8 was the first entry that really brought female gamers into the franchise, largely because of the handsome male cast and the emphasis on the love story.

But thats a load of bullocks. Cloud, Sepiroth and Vicent are what would considered typical bishonen aka pretty boys. The same could be said about ff 6/3 where, its hard to tell with Amano's art, but at least locke, edgar, phillipe? and a few others could be construed as such. I mean FF has always had your sterotypical good looking hero, its just that with 7 and more so with 8 it was more obvious.

Though I will admit 8 had more of a focus on romance, then again Locke spends the entire game trying to mack on that magic esper girl, and ends up with the blonde chick. Its been a while since I played the game I know.

7 arguably had Cloud with Aeris, then angst when she dies, and then maybe he goes with Tifa? I mean the whole Aeris thing strikes me as being more up the ally of trying to appeal to women. Because you had this badass mercenary all of a sudden being taught about love and life, and then gets all weepy and emotional.

Dont remember v and iv much but Im sure they had some shipping as well.
Kerberous

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, the trash called Neo Geo X will disappear. This release is supposed to contain a firmware update that fixes "stuff". Not like Tommo actually showed if it fixes anything or not, they just uploaded instructions on how to install it.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of having trouble taking the character designs in Final Fantasy XV seriously- they look like a boy band. Nothing wrong with that, I just keep wondering why a group of random people who aren't in a boy band would dress like that.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

But thats a load of bullocks. Cloud, Sepiroth and Vicent are what would considered typical bishonen aka pretty boys. The same could be said about ff 6/3 where, its hard to tell with Amano's art, but at least locke, edgar, phillipe? and a few others could be construed as such. I mean FF has always had your sterotypical good looking hero, its just that with 7 and more so with 8 it was more obvious.

Though I will admit 8 had more of a focus on romance, then again Locke spends the entire game trying to mack on that magic esper girl, and ends up with the blonde chick. Its been a while since I played the game I know.

7 arguably had Cloud with Aeris, then angst when she dies, and then maybe he goes with Tifa? I mean the whole Aeris thing strikes me as being more up the ally of trying to appeal to women. Because you had this badass mercenary all of a sudden being taught about love and life, and then gets all weepy and emotional.

don't remember v and iv much but Im sure they had some shipping as well.

I think it was harder back in the day for people to immediately see the original character designs for the male leads of FF7 as being bishonen, outside of Sephiroth. If you look at the original art for Cloud and Vincent, they reflected more of a mainstream anime style for the late 90's, a bit ways cartoonier and less overtly handsome than the more shojo-leaning designs of FF8 (the blocky in-game character modeling probably affected the perception too). It wasn't until later incarnations (like in Kingdom Hearts, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus) that they really seemed to be strongly imagined in a more mainstream, J-Rock standard of handsomeness.

As for Amano's art, even though his character designs really are effeminate looking, they were so highly stylized that they never really looked quite like standard shojo character-designs, and wound up looking much more like very artsy modern fantasy work (which might be why I've never heard of his art garnering a specifically female, hunk-loving fanbase). I also think when people reminisce on the characters and settings of those older games, the memories are more linked to the in-game graphics than Amano's artwork. The translated SD character designs (like the work of Kazuko Shibuya in IV-VI) is usually what I think of when I look back at the older FFs, since the original console systems were limited to rendering the characters in sprites. I always saw Amano's art as more of an accompanying illustration than a literal visual representation of the characters and game-world (which admittedly became less of the case in the more recent remakes of III and IV).

I'd personally never noticed any sort of significant female following for Final Fantasy until 8 came out, though I'd be curious if you or anyone else was aware of one during the NES and SNES eras of the franchise.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
And I can't even believe its a real postive issue people have with this game. Not when I see "OH noes dudes and not cute girls, I can't have my sad little made up harem". Like really, you can't play a game because it dosen't have female characters in it? It's funny because the cry for female characters for some here is anything ,but a positive. It's "I want something cute to look at" and how dare women have a pretty guy to look at.

People complained on and on about how FFX-2 was junk because it was nothing but "Cute girls". Either side is going to be upset when none of the playable characters appeal to them.

Basically, think about it like this: If FFXV main characters all looked straight out of a female idol group, would you not be complaining? Knowing your history, you'd be the first one to be complaining about how SquareEnix is doing nothing but otaku pandering now.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote
I don't really have any issues with the main cast being male. It's never been an issue with the Final Fantasy series that women were underrepresented. So while I do think it's an issue with gaming as a whole (as well as the way female characters are treated in gaming). I don't really don't see much wrong with this. They just did 2 games with a female lead, with a third coming soon. I can cut them some slack with this one.

On Fujoshi baiting: Nothing wrong with it here. What matters isn't the character designs, it's the writing bother story and character. FF isn't just designed with a Japanese audience in mind, and it's never a bad thing to sneak in some fanservice bits for girls (in the traditional way, not in the anime way) after all it's worked for Bioware.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RyanSaotome"]
Rahxephon91 wrote:

Basically, think about it like this: If FFXV main characters all looked straight out of a female idol group, would you not be complaining? Knowing your history, you'd be the first one to be complaining about how SquareEnix is doing nothing but otaku pandering now.
I wouldn't be complaining, because I bought and enjoyed X-2 and will be doing it again this year. If they want to make an all girl game again, then go right ahead. Because honestly, in the end Square probably does the least Otaku pandering. Even with Lightning Returns and before that X-2, it's not like they present their female characters badly. It's not like they make the female characters solely to pander.

And so I don't care if it's an all male cast of pretty boys. I doubt their sole function will be to make female fans happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Because honestly, in the end Square probably does the least Otaku pandering. Even with Lightning Returns and before that X-2, it's not like they present their female characters badly.

"Badly" is all up to what someone wants to argue and believe. The sheer fact that dress spheres exist is enough to make some people cry objectification and pandering since you can dress all of them up to your own fetish tastes.

RyanSaotome wrote:
People complained on and on about how FFX-2 was junk because it was nothing but "Cute girls". Either side is going to be upset when none of the playable characters appeal to them.

Pretty much applies to media in general, which is why listening to some minority of complainers is always stupid because it just opens up other complainers.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Yeah, it sure is looking like Fujoshi Fantasy XV at this point. I'm losing lots of interest in what used to be my favorite series in gaming...

This is my initial reaction as well after seeing the photo. My opinion could change of course, but the cast of characters represented thus far looks like a B List 90s boy band. The Blitz Ball Boys. Won't you let them be your Final Fantasy?

And good god, these names are terrible!!

Prompto Argentum??

Gladiolus Amicitia??

Ignis Scientia??

They do seem like they were made up by some little kid writing his first fiction story after reading about Roman/Greek mythology.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

"Badly" is all up to what someone wants to argue and believe. The sheer fact that dress spheres exist is enough to make some people cry objectification and pandering since you can dress all of them up to your own fetish tastes.

Because it does. Hence I said, "even with", because those games hurt my statement, but not enough to make their behavior the rule of the series. Or in X-2's case, it's pandering wasn't enough to hurt the cast and game itself, still would have been better without it. But then again that game's point is to be less serious and fun, so we should let that slide.

It's quite a shame that Lightning is now some dress up doll for fan service scenes in Lightning Returns. The game looks terrible enough, but they didn't have to further drag her down.

But if they made a FFXVI with an all female cast, I wouldn't mind, I doubt they would go down that path anyway with that kind of cast. Not until the sequels anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Yeah, it sure is looking like Fujoshi Fantasy XV at this point. I'm losing lots of interest in what used to be my favorite series in gaming...

I lost interest in Final Fantasy the moment FFXI was announced as an MMO. Haven't played a single one since (I did buy FFXII, but it's still sitting in the shrink-wrap cause I never really got the urge to play it...). Can't say I miss it too much though, there are plenty of other good games out there that have occupied my time.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Yes. If only there were some way to not have all girls or all guys and satisfy everyone. But obviously that's just impossible. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5