• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reading Between the Lines

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voodoomage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
If they have dual language uncensored DVDs for One-Piece , I will buy them no doubt. I will still d/l the fansubs just because It will take years for them to catch up. Thats what's great about fansubs, it literally only take weeks to get compared to years.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
voodoomage wrote:
If they have dual language uncensored DVDs for One-Piece , I will buy them no doubt. I will still d/l the fansubs just because It will take years for them to catch up. Thats what's great about fansubs, it literally only take weeks to get compared to years.

That's what I did with Inuyasha (kept downloading higher episodes) when they were just barely into the second season... I wasn't able to wait four years for them to reach the point where I had watched...

I'm buying the boxsets of Inuyasha now, but Viz is somewhat slow at releasing the boxsets (they're aren't as slow as Geneon) and I know that it is possible to release series faster than they do (ADV does it fairly quickly).

Heck, if a series isn't fansubed and I like it, I'll watch the raws from the point I saw, I download raws (this is what I did with Full Metal Alchemist).
Akyho
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
sigh i who knew me asking that damned question would bring so much hell to these boards and to a frequint board of mine that i have now been exiled of sorts for not even my veiws.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Was a legitimate question, you generally can't be held accountable for the reactions of others unless you went into it with the sole intent of stirring the hornets nest. It's a vicious topic, always has been and looks to be for quite some time to come, but a legitimate one none the less.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akyho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
thing is my question was not aswered at all realy i just sparked a fire in the wrong direction and i have no arguments for or against anything here.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Akyho wrote:
sigh i who knew me asking that damned question would bring so much hell to these boards and to a frequint board of mine that i have now been exiled of sorts for not even my veiws.

I guess you should have rephrased the question? Don't worry about it too much - sometimes the boat needs to be rocked a little anyway. Intelligent discussion is helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Akyho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote
pfft wish you could have told that to the forum that blamed me for acting with intent to cause all this with wanting to cause diversity and just being a evil person with the thinking boats on calm waters shouldnt be rocked for any reason.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Akyho wrote:
pfft wish you could have told that to the forum that blamed me for acting with intent to cause.

I can't speak for the other forum, but we don't ban people for their opinions. No matter how wrong or stupid an opinion is, you have a right to express it, as long as it isn't malicious.

We do however ban people for not using capitals, commas, paragraph breaks and the like (See Teh Rules).

-t
Akyho

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:27 pm Reply with quote
well ban me now because i am dyslexic its taken me 14 years to get to this level of grammer and sentence structer and even then my spelling is poor and my grammer is poor.

they didn't ban me i left but it was because they were giveing me a hard time over this when i didn't meant anything and none of it were my veiws and completely didn't understand anything of what i was saying they were just takeing the bad of whatever i said saying i was attacking people when i wasnt.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Akyho wrote:
they didn't ban me i left but it was because they were giveing me a hard time over this when i didn't meant anything and none of it were my veiws and completely didn't understand anything of what i was saying they were just takeing the bad of whatever i said saying i was attacking people when i wasnt.

That's teh intArweb for you Sad

People tend to be quick to assume and hard to reason with.

-t
Akyho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
the more i tried to plead my innocence the more i offended and the more i dug a whole fo my self. you know how many people say just walk away and they even said that how can you walk away if your fighting for you innocence and then later the same person started suggesting i should toughen up stand my ground and this is the head admin and owner of the forum telling me this whith such contradicting thinking i figured i was not going to get anywear and so i left. i was up for moderator reveiw on the forum befor i was alienated and i didn't aplly or know i was up for mod reveiw untill half way through the argument the admin said not to damage my chances.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
GTC wrote:

and does that Angelic Layer example really matter in the whole context of the story? Does the slight loss of meaning of a Japanese synomym really detract from anything? Sure you can argue that it completely change the tone of the character, but that is just a very elitist point of view. Plus just because ADV and fansubs do the note does that mean every company is obligated to do it. I think you are just spoiled. Plus much of anime is very ethnocentric, so unless you are immersed in the culture you won't get a good amount of stuff anyway. Thats why dubs are so good because alot now are taking those ethnocentric references and jokes and changing them so we can understand them but they also try to stay as close as possible. This ethnocentrism is also why South Park never made it big there.

You're asking if it kills the story or damages the character? No, but in both versions, it creates a "wtf?" moment that doesn't need to be there, which may affect people's opinions of the show overall, to the effect of: "Okay, why did they put this dumb-ass character who doesn't want to be called "Aunt" in the show? What's with her?"

Am I spoiled just because I put a little work into understanding what goes on in anime at the language/cultural level? Maybe a little, but I don't believe so. Am I elitist? I disagree with that as well: I don't want to sit on any throne and say "Ha ha ha, I understand anime better than anyone, and you suckers don't get it." Rather, I want everyone to get as much from their viewing experience (and their valuble $$$ / computer downloading resources Rolling Eyes ) as possible.

Sure, there's going to be obscure cultural things that even segments of the Japanese population won't understand, and I don't expect companies/fansubs to explain absolutely everything. For that, I am thankful for dub/sub localizations... heck, the Please Teacher dub even improved on some of the more annoying parts of the Japanese track, and the first volume of Ghost Stories is a laugh riot. But, when things are approaching incomprehensibility (in the eyes of someone who knows only average fanboy/girl Japanese), as with the SaiKano part I cited earlier, that's when there's a problem.

Also, I think there's some confusion on the word "ethnocentric," which means, "characterized or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior." One could make a good argument that ethnocentric attitudes exist in Japanese culture as a whole (and in many others as well), but it's also the type of racist belief associated with Hitler and the Nazis. However, when anime shows things that are culturally particular to Japan (temple visits, taking off shoes indoors, Valentine's chocolates, festivals etc.) is not being ethnocentric, as it doesn't proclaim, "Japan pwns everyone else! Bow down before us, Western dogs!" Eclectic, obscure, or idiosyncratic perhaps, but not ethnocentric.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:44 am Reply with quote
voodoomage wrote:
The same thing can be said about theft of anything. Rolling Eyes
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
voodoomage wrote:
The same thing can be said about theft of anything. Rolling Eyes

And you persist to call downloading fansubs theft? Read laws and you find its just copyright infringment, in all truth.

...Copyright infringment is copying, altering, or using someone else's work (images, audio, text, and/or video) without permission.

...Theft is stealing with no intent to purchase. This normally intends to be a secret. (Fansubs are right out in the open).

...It's not really piracy (fansubs) either. Piracy is taking with intent to sell for profit. (This can be said about all those people on Ebay and Amazon who sell these "false" $30 "import boxsets". These things generally suc because they are typically made by people who don't give a rats arse about the series...only about they money they make making multiple copys of unofficial dvds.)

^ That's the thing that gets me...that THAT continues and that people do promote it. Sure, I download fansubs, but I buy the series afterwards (when/if it becomes locally and legally availible)...

Please take some type of business law before jumping to conclusion about what is "theft." Law has a bunch of complicated definitions and though I do not claim to know them all, I DO know what is classified as Copyright Infringment.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

And you persist to call downloading fansubs theft? Read laws and you find its just copyright infringment, in all truth.

It's copyright infringment AND theft, by law and by definition. Go back and read what I wrote about it.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12