• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Reading Between the Lines

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
A lot of the "piracy is okay" folk do have something in common have something in common. They are poor. When I see people pound on those who download anime, I tend to see it as class warfare. I don't think anime should be free but if you honstly don't have any expendable income that shouldn't mean you can't watch your favorite TV shows.

And yet they can afford a computer, internet access and it's accompanying cable or phone line. (They probably also have a CD or DVD burner and media.) Yeah, "class warfare."

If they can afford the above, they have to means to either budget or save up for the legal DVDs. (Or they could go without the internet or cable for a few months to save up for them.)

[Edit: Whoops, just noticed Space Goats and ACDragonMaster said this eariler.]

Last edited by pythos on Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Space Goats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
Space Goats wrote:
This is such an awful example to use though. Are you comparing poor kids in Brazil who can't afford Pele merchandise to people who download fansubs because both are unable to support their hobby? Last I checked, downloading anime required a computer and broadband. If you own both of those you are automatically in a tier that is VERY capable of buying DVDs. Rather than try to justify that you a good person despite the fact that you download fansubs, just embrace your leecher ways and quit complaining.

If someone is so "poor", how are they able to afford the means to download the fansubs in the first place? A decent computer costs at minimum a couple hundred dollars, not to mention a connectiong good enough to download that anime, you could probably buy a couple of DVDs for the monthly cost...

Hmm, that's exactly what I just said. Razz
Chun-Li

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

Perhaps they're jealous.

Or perhaps they just really like good anime and want to see companies make more of it. With some anime companies clearly struggling financially, can you blame honest fans for wanting other people to start supporting the companies ?

I can't speak for everyone, but I fall into the second group.

-t

i understand what you are saying. I wouldn't blame anyone if an anime company suddenly went bankrupt...but i don't think that would happen...i think nowadays, the anime companies are finding different and more ways to attract consumers...it's no one's fault that not everyone purchases dvds. i'm sorrie to hear that some companies are financially struggling...but they will get thru it somehow...why?..because they are not just any company ..they are an anime company..one that supports anime... we buy dvds because we want to...it's not really our place to force it on others...if they suddenly want to go out and do a dvd shopping spree then good for them..it's more meaningful that way...in other words..they don't need us to tell them to do nething..so why go out of our way?...i dunno ..i think it's too much of an effort...

i think there are more serious crimes out there than "downloading anime"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Space Goats wrote:
Hmm, that's exactly what I just said. Razz

That's why I quoted it. And rephrased it a bit, just in case the point wasn't clear enough. ;p
masaki86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, imo, if people aren't willing to pay for anime, then they just shouldn't watch it(apart from on networked TV)-simple as. If you want food, you pay for it, if you want clothing, you pay for it...stealing food is illegal, stealing clothing is illegal....why should anime be any different?

If you don't wanna pay, then you don't deserve to watch it.
darknightmare

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I see no stop to fansubs or these theives in the near future, or if at all. The internet is vast and uncontrolable. If you want to to stop this stealing then take a hint from iTunes and other online music stores and sell these shows an ep. at a time for a flat rate. There is a vast group of people like me who would spend like $2 or hell even $4 and ep. for anime. Think of the instant cash gained from such a deal. They could reduce the production cost of DVDs this way, thus making more money. Even Japanese companies could sell these direct to the internet vids with quick subs or something and trust me anime fans would buy buy buy. If fansubbers can get a quality sub out a day or two after the eps. airs then the anime company could sure as hell get it done quicker.
The sad truth is you can't stop people from downloading stuff. However, you can give them better options. The internet is a tool. The anime companies should learn to use it.
Chun-Li

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
RyoShin wrote:

Was there plenty of interest? Sure. Was there plenty of interest as represented by DVD sales? No. Because those people didn't bother to support something they had interest in, it flopped, so no one gets new episodes. It's like communal punishment (where everyone is punished for the misdeeds of a few individuals), but in the wrong order.

mebbe i missed a huge article on anime companies losing success...but i still don't see how we are getting punished...for example..let's say an entire series finished airing in Japan...over here...Anime companies produce the dvds right?...wouldn't it make sense that they finish what they start making..i don't think they would stop so abruptly when they already created two out of four dvds of a particular series...

hmm..lemme know if any of this makes sense..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hunterbiko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
A lot of the "piracy is okay" folk do have something in common have something in common. They are poor.

I love when people make this claim. Most of them have no idea what "poor" really is. Poor is not eating for three days because you cannot afford it, using yesterdays coffee grounds just so you can have a drink with flavor, timing your showers, picking what bills to pay each month and only paying the minimum so you can have heat and water. These are things that poor people do, always one step away from homless and one payment bill short. There are worse conditions of living, but I have been this poor. One more thing most poor people do not have the luxery of the internet. Most of these people can pay their bills, have food on their plates every night, and have money to spare but just won't. They are jsut making sob story excuses for wanting to get something for nothing.
kollivier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Bahamut God wrote:
Aaron White wrote:
without exception they've always been total milk babies, which is why I ironically somewhat agree with you; you should have a sugar tap giving you unlimited free entertainment; it keeps you where you belong, out of my way. Stay in mommy's basement and download your anime, sweethearts. Don't come outside in that scary painful sunlight and engage life. In the wise words of Brother Zappa, "You ain't really made for being out in the street; ain't much hope for a fool like you, 'cause if you play the game you will get beat."

A lot of the "piracy is okay" folk do have something in common have something in common. They are poor. When I see people pound on those who download anime, I tend to see it as class warfare. I don't think anime should be free but if you honstly don't have any expendable income that shouldn't mean you can't watch your favorite TV shows.

In an ideal world, no. In an ideal world, it shouldn't cost anything to produce your favorite TV shows either. Unfortunately, it does. Furthermore, it costs a LOT to bring them to this country so you and others can enjoy them.

And if you don't have expendable income, where'd you get that TV/DVD/computer/broadband needed to watch your favorite TV shows? Those are hardly in the 'necessities' category.

Quote:
Personally, I buy as much as I can, but in a lot of cases it's either download or go without. Going without doesn't help the community either. Does this mean our worth as a fan is directly connected to our economic worth?

To the anime companies, yes. Face reality. Anime companies spend money to produce anime. They do this with the hope of getting money back from fans, so that they can produce more anime. They need money. They cannot afford to give away their works for free. If you enjoy their materials by downloading them for free, you are taking something of value from them but not giving anything in return.

It's not 'class warfare', because you (or your parents) are paying good money to have a computer, and broadband access, which you use to download anime for free. You pay the computer vendor and parts suppliers for their hard work, you pay your Internet company a (likely sizable) monthly service fee to keep your Internet going, but you do not see the need to offer the same courtesy to (all) the anime producers whose entertainment you enjoy. If you were truly poor you couldn't afford any of the things you DO have, or buy any anime at all.

The simple matter is that you have been given a third route between buying entertainment and doing without, and whether or not it's legal or ethical, I think you just want to take that route because it's the easiest one to take.

It's not fair to the anime companies, nor is it legal if the series has been released in the states; that is not even an issue for debate. What is up to debate is whether or not that bothers you. Only you can answer that. But you might want to just try putting yourself in the shoes of the people who did all that hard work for at least a moment.
masaki86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
face it, the reason most people who download exclusively don't buy DVD's is because they are kids. 11-15, no proper form of income(apart from pocket money).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Chun-Li wrote:
i think there are more serious crimes out there than "downloading anime"

Unquestionably.

But they're outside the scope of this website.

And while it is technically a crime, I haven't called downloading fansubs a crime. I have alluded that downloading them as an alternative to spending money is a crime.

For me it's a matter of ethics, not technical legalities.

BTW, I like your avatar. Chun Li rocks.

-t
Chun-Li

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
masaki86 wrote:

By watching only fansubs, you are not giving anything to covering the costs of the hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars put into making the anime, and it is not fare on the people who put blood sweat and tears into making the show.

How would you like it if you made a game. It reached a target audience of 100,000. However, instead of selling to that 100,000, it was exclusively downloaded illegally by 55% and only 45% bought it? Think about that.

well..if i was part of that game company...i would hope that those other 55% encouraged other people to buy it by sharing it...because obviously they liked it enough to use their time and effort to download it...and then those other people that got a glimpse of it from those 55% would get soo interested that they would have to buy it...or they want so badly to finish it..on their own time..and not have to borrow it..that's how i am..i don't like to borrow from people or depend on anyone..but i don't mind sharing my stuff..

hope that sorta helps...
masaki86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:29 pm Reply with quote
^^ok, that was useless. all 100,000 loved your game, played for countless hours and loved every minute. however only half paid and the other half stole it...is that fair?
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
While I agree with answerman on people who refuse to support anime and spout trash about liceansing companies, his constant harping about fansubbers in his columns is, to be quit frank, annoying. Yes, fansubs are illegal. They are also a very minor part of the overall problem of anime piracy and do serve a purpose for the fans.

What really bugs me is that people focus on the fansubbers and don't go after the bootleggers and dvd rippers who blatantly steal directly from the distro companies and yet get little to no attention. Methinks that going after highschool/college kids to too much time on their hands is easier then going after the HK bootleggers or stepping up to amazon/ebay and asking them to stop allowing people to sell these ridiculous 3 disc 24 episode "import" boxsets for $21.99 Rolling Eyes

Last edited by shenlongmizuno on Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Chun-Li wrote:
..well..if people download as a method of obtaining anime..then so be it..why is that other people get upset knowing that there are people out there who download and do not purchase the actual dvds?.. i think people who get upset or bothered by it are perhaps jealous...they may even feel ripped off?...or it's just not fair, etc...just leave those people, who can't afford it themselves, alone.......all you can do is show off all your wall-to-wall anime dvds..that's enough advertisement...no need to bash on other fans who don't show the same passion the way you do...
What is the definition of the word "ethics"? Wink
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12