• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Also, does anyone know if the original Japanese broadcast had Japanese subtitles for the English dialogue?
I noticed there was no hiragana script hardcoded into the episode, unlike other English-dialogue shows such as Terror in Resonance.

Yes, there were Japanese subtitles.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
At exactly this time next week, there won't be any Free! to look forward to...

*sigh* 8 minutes 'til the last episode!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
What is... this sweat in my eyes...???

AHHHHHHHH~~~~~~~~!!!!!

Totally got did in by the flashbacks. New STYLE FIVE song at the end. Mako chan in spoiler[college] was cute. spoiler[Glasses!]

spoiler[For the future]
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 13:

Dang, that was spoiler[refreshing seeing the memories flow back again from the previous and this season. It was a fast yet exciting swim near the end of the series/finale. I liked how Haruka was able to gain his confidence back and swim freely with the others. His apology was kinda too.]

Rating this as good.

I think there's still an OVA coming though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
Is it too much to ask for Miho and Kou to be less than one dimensional characters? Seriously, this season all Kou's role has been a set of tits for Momotarou to ogle. It's insulting.

Even Miho who had some development in S1 was ignored through this season completely.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Everyone was back for the nationals.
Looks like Haru finally found himself & his goal in life!
Makoto realized what he wants to do in life too.
Guess they will stay connected to swimming.
The mood before the nationals was pretty relaxed.
Flashbacks to their beginnings were nice.
Their swimming performance at the nationals was the best they could give.
Pool fun with Rin was really nice ^^
Good final episode. Don't think there's gonna be a 3rd season though..
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Pretty decent finale. Apparently chlorine is a psychedelic for these guys. Very Happy I just hope the first series gets licensed, because I think a lot of people will be waiting to buy the second season until it is. The old prisoner's dilemma again. :/ I hope it at least gets a worthy dub.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I would have preferred less spoiler[ flashbacks and more actual swimming and/or more than just glimpses at the future instead ( though we briefly get to see Haru and Rin competing professionally at the end).]

But well, it was a fine and overall satisfying episode with lots of nice and touching scenes, ...i think a 3rd season is highly unlikely, but maybe we'll get a couple of OVAs or a movie?
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd be cautious of Kyoani doing a Season 3.
There's a risk of future seasons falling into the trap of diminishing returns on storyline and themes, especially if the writers resort to over-exaggerating the drama so they can top the first 2 seasons.
Look at some Hollywood film franchises for an example what not to do.

What they CAN do is an OVA/movie featuring the gang getting back together for an official Olympics swimming event, either at Rio 2016 or Tokyo 2020.*
(*Free! will still be rather fresh in people's minds for Rio 2016, but Tokyo 2020 would be more thematically relevant for Japan. What does everyone think?)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
For some reason this episode seemed really blurry to me, like the water had come out of the screen and blurred my eyes. Talk about 4D technology!

Jokes aside, it was a beautiful finale. spoiler[I've always been weak for men crying, and Rei's sobs killed me. When they all hugged in tears after the race, realizing it was over I choked and started sobbing too.] The portrayal of all their emotions was perfect and amazing. So much I'm feeling awfully inclined to import Funi's release for this whenever it comes out (no Japan, as much as I loved it, I'm not paying 6000 yen + shipping x 7 discs to get the collection)

I can definitely imagine them doing an OVA or feature film with spoiler[Rin and Haru's meeting in the Olympic stage. It would really work if they did it in Tokyo 2020, because it would also provide perfect timing for an Iwatobi reunion and unearthing the box the boys left at the swimming club and hopefully seeing Makoto teaching kids to swim again].

Also loved how they serviced both spoiler[MakoHaru and RinHaru fujoshi with the former living together and the latter meeting up again in the international stage.] Although my RinHaru feels hoped spoiler[Haru would go to Australia with Rin],but I'm okay with how it played out.

Also glad that the episode of Makoto helping Sasabe Coach out did turn out relevant. I thought he'd decide to ditch college and stay to work in ITSC, so when he announcedspoiler[ he was going to Tokyo] I felt a little dismay, but once again, it was handled perfectly.

My only grievance was that I hoped there would be anotherspoiler[ Iwatobi vs Samezuka scene], but I guess it wasn't necessary since we already got a proper one in the regional tournament.

Alsospoiler[ Momo yelling "Koala! Kangaroo!"] was [expletive] adorable. I'm surprised with how quickly the character grew on me.

And spoiler[the final scene with the Samezuka pool filled with sakura petals]. I was wailing by that point. And... I could keep going, but I should be getting off to work now. I'm just giving this a Masterpiece because it did everything so right.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much emotion in one episode. Even just within the first few seconds, so much is said just with the different expressions that flicker across Haru's face when spoiler[he's trying to figure out what to say to Makoto, and then realizes that Makoto is not upset with him over their fight.]

Oh, that career choice is just perfect for Makoto. I was really hoping he'd choose something like that.

spoiler[Rei and Nagisa crying...] Yeah, okay, show, just go ahead and tear my heart out, why don't you. And then again when spoiler[they're all crying and laughing at the same time as they hug after the race.] Anime cry And then after that...

Although speaking of at the tournament, I'm pretty sure that when they were showing images of the crowds of spectators, we can see the Iwatobi boys' families, or at least Haru's (around 14:21 in Crunchyroll's stream). Obviously we already know Makoto's family, but sitting right next to them and talking to them are what I can only assume are Haru's parents. And my guess is that the man, woman, and girl in the upper left are Nagisa's parents and one of his sisters, and the blue-haired man and woman in the lower right are Rei's parents, but as I said that's just a guess. They just don't quite seem the same as the rest of the random background characters in the image.

Hmm...spoiler[would Nitori really be the best choice for captain? I know he'll do his best, but nothing about him seems particularly captain-y to me.] But they all spoiler[finally get to swim in a pool filled with cherry blossoms! Yay! And the Iwatobi swim club finally gets more members! Yay again!] And it seems the ending song this time is sung by all eight of the boys (I see Sousuke, Nitori, and Momotarou's names listed in the song credits along with the main five).

CrowLia wrote:
I can definitely imagine them doing an OVA or feature film with spoiler[Rin and Haru's meeting in the Olympic stage. It would really work if they did it in Tokyo 2020, because it would also provide perfect timing for an Iwatobi reunion and unearthing the box the boys left at the swimming club and hopefully seeing Makoto teaching kids to swim again.]

Oh my god, you're right, that would totally be just perfect for an OVA! I hope KyoAni realizes this, too. Very Happy

Well, all in all, I am left feeling sad that there will probably not be anymore of this show after this, but that feeling of sadness is overshadowed by how happy I feel for all of the characters after this finale.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Posts above have already summed up my feelings. Animation was excellent. I could watch those swimming scenes again and again... Ending was bittersweet, of course. It tied up its ends, but it's sad to see it ending. Its sales are nice, but another season seems unlikely now that the core groups spoiler[have split.] An OVA or film would be excellent. Or maybe they'll go back in time to those middle school days. We'd get to see Kisumi and those book-only characters.

Oh, and I agree that Nitori spoiler[was a strange choice as captain. He doesn't seem like much of a leader, and gets flustered by others easily. He could barely handle Momotarou! I guess it'll be a case of "I'll do my best!" captaining.]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the 2nd season I think my only issue was that Haru did get over his issues in the last episode too easily. But still I really liked how this episode ended with everyone moving towards the future. Also really glad Iwatobi finally got new members.

I also like how Haru is together with Makoto but also Rin in different ways. And of course Rei is with Nagisa. My multi shipper heart is happy.

I did find it interesting that they didn't actually win the Nationals. They only came in 6th place but I suppose for Nationals that is still a pretty good spot.

I certainly wouldn't mind an Olympic OVA. More college Makoto would also be a plus.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I did find it interesting that they didn't actually win the Nationals. They only came in 6th place but I suppose for Nationals that is still a pretty good spot.

That's not uncommon in sports titles. Hammers home the whole "winning isn't what's important" message.

Anyways, truely a lovely ending. I'm glad it had a strong finish, but where am I supposed to get my hunky half naked guy fix now? Sad
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

That's not uncommon in sports titles. Hammers home the whole "winning isn't what's important" message.
(

It's not that I think it's uncommon. It's just until that message at the end it seemed like they had won. Although I guess the point is from their perspective they did win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 34