• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambehr79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Definitely into yuri myself -- lesbian here. Embarassed ANYHOW. Anime hyper This is a great anime for fluff, subtle yaoi pairings. I mean, one could even mistake everyone as just being super supportive friends, considering they're guys and starting up a club.

What's best about it though is I don't feel the skin flashing is that blatant. I mean, they're SWIMMERS. There aren't exactly any unexplainable crotch shots, and all characters are easy on the eyes.

Not to mention the background story of the seiyuu being a BAND who's voicing the main characters of an anime. I mean. . . pretty awesome. As for the 'drive' that most sports anime get when they get going -- there's not much here, but there's a 'sensitivity' to it that I personally like when it comes to character growth [later on].
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Yeah kids put off deciding what they want to do all the time but in Haru's case it's different. He's very skilled at swimming which many people aren't. If someone is skilled at sports I'd say it is rare for them to just blindly go off with their lives not knowing what to do when they could just keep playing that sport. Depending on your skill you can get a FULL RIDE to college which is something nobody would turn down especially these days when being 50,000 dollars in debt is considered getting off easy.

Most people who, for example, play in NCAA basketball don't become professionals. Yeah, the top of the top pretty much have the way paved for them, but there are many more athletes than the cream of the crop.

Also many Olympians are not professional athletes.

I think you misunderstood me here. While Haru going pro is a route he probably should take I don't think him swimming in college would be a bad idea even if he didn't. People don't always play sports because they enjoy them. As I've said before college is expensive as shit so getting your bills payed for you by playing the sport is actually a VERY good idea. I admit after I got done with high school i was pretty burnt out on football but I kept playing it so I could get a far less expensive higher education afterwards. I had no intentions of going pro. In fact even star players don't always go pro and actually settle on finishing their senior year in school so they can pursue the career they actually want to do for a living. See what I mean? I always think Haru had plenty of options even if he didn't want to swim for a career. He could still go to college and do some soul searching while playing the sport he loves the most.

Sounds like a good deal to me Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, leatherhead333, you.... you're a jock!

Undoubtedly him taking a scholarship was a good idea, but there are some things standing in the way. If he just wanted to swim and nothing else, he probably would have just went to some pool regardless everyday, why didn't he go to the school with a swimming program? The whole relay thing made it clear that with his mindset he mostly enjoyed competitive swimming because it was with friends, other than that he may have been happy just soaking in a tub.

He was always convinced to do more races by being told he would see something new, at the end Rin opened his eyes that Haru actually enjoyed the competition.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Free Eternal Summer (OVA):

That was actual quite fun. I mean, just some old fashioned spoiler[water gun fight and also a wet Gou :>. Someone was happy to see that btw.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:07 am Reply with quote
Third Season (Free! Dive to the Future) airs today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 1

I am a big fan of KyoAni, and I consider Free something I enjoy, but I was not too on board with there being a third season. The second season finished on such a note with Haru and Makoto's graduation, that things could not stay the same, that things had to have a big movement forward, that the Highschool club that the show was about quite a bit, could not have them anymore, but the two of them are even more part of this show. This show could not work if it decided to re-tread water of the first two seasons, but without it could also be a problem.

And the first episode seems to have alleviated some of that problem, with Haru and Makoto doing their things, while we also see some of Nagisa, Rei and Gou, and little bits of Rin in Australia. With the addition of a bunch of new characters, from classmates of Makoto, college swim mates for Haru, underclassmen in the swim club, and new rivals. Usually I might have a problem with a first episode of a new season of an anime introducing way too many characters, I even complain about the second season of Overlord feeling like its episode took away too much from established group with too many new characters. But I think that I am fine with this, like the two new male members of Iwatobi, and a female swimmer too, I hope we get a reasonable amount of them, the girl adding some interesting bits with Gou. Things have changed, and I am okay with that. Hope it pulls it off.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 3

Rin episode set in Sydney, great in how Rin seems to be mentally in a great place now, that he was quite able to hold the scenes. Got a laugh out of connecting his coach to Gou, with a sharing for love of muscles, that they could put the together. That she happened to be reading the muscle book at that time. Rin stuff has generally felt so dark that it was not incredibly fun to watch, but this was, along with the brother of the guy who does seem to be the centre of drama.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I found it funny that even though, they were in Sydney, Australia, the English that they were using was American English!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:13 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I found it funny that even though, they were in Sydney, Australia, the English that they were using was American English!

Believe me, I noted it, especially after they did well in the season 2 parts where the voices sounded really well Australian. That has had me think that something had to give that they did not get people who could do the Aussie accents.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I don't know if it is just me, and or I am just noticing something that may have been a factor for some time, but it felt like there was really something wrong with the animation and art this episode, like it looked really bad. Sure there were some moments that were okay, but other parts felt especially bad for this studio.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 12 (finale)

So this season ended. And I have to say I was kind of wrong, that they really did not really use all its different parts to really well. I grew bored of the central conflict because it feels like it was just a repeat with just a new character. I can't even pick how the main character, Haru, may have really grown, or really any of the main characters. I think that they supposedly had some revelations, but I don't know if any of them really had any impact on who they are and what they do.

Going for a rating, I give it a rating of So-so (5/10), it didn't really catch my attention.
NarutoFanBoy2306

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
My opinion for season 1

Genre & Story:
Free! is an anime that I have been longing for, because I was afraid that it would be worse than I had hoped. But I was taught wrong. Comedy, Shoujo and Slice_of_Life stand out in the genres. Drama is more illustrated by flashbacks and defeats, so rather superficial drama, to put it bluntly. Also sports is more in the background this season, you can not compare it with other giants like Kuroko no Basket. The story itself is rather average. The main thing is to found a new Iwatobi swimming club and explain the past of the group with rival Rin. The course went great in twelve episodes and had very pleasant climaxes, no matter if they were funny, exciting or sad. It does not happen much, but I especially liked the competitions. I have little to complain about, but I can not hide the fact that the story looks pretty monotonous and average (for a sports anime, at least). Otherwise, Free! Well entertained and the consequences were hardly lame. At first I was disturbed by the many flashbacks, but in time it also became clear why so many were used. I just loved the last episode incredibly. She was really beautiful.

Animations & Colors:
The point that nearly 90% of female viewers love is the drawing style. This offers us sharp, striking male faces with well-defined, well-trained bodies and a selection of incredibly beautiful Farbvariationen-, and combinations. For 2013, the animations look very high quality and flawless, especially scenes in the water, or the water itself, just look great. As already mentioned, the colors are just beautiful. Rather bright and varied. I also really liked the scenery. An example would be the beautifully designed islands and the sea in earlier episodes. So you should definitely pay attention to the background. And yes, the male characters themselves look very, very good. Do you have to mention it again?

Characters:
To be honest, the characters are pretty ambiguous. On the one hand they were able to entertain me wonderfully, on the other hand they were not very mature and sufficiently overworked. But now we are gradually working off all the points. The main character Haruka is a rather monotonous character, which shows less of his feelings, for me a bit too little. Although the rest of the group has stereotypical traits, each one of them was able to entertain me and through their characteristics, I quickly put them in the heart. Especially Makoto did it to me. Rin acts like the typical cliché, but toward the end, his actions have completely surprised me. On the secondary characters is received, not much, but always gone. By and large, I can say that it's best to judge for yourself whether the characters are average or not. For me personally, they were able to keep the whole anime above average, which is exactly why I liked them that way.

I give a rating 7/10 for Free! season 1
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 34 of 34