• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Wolf Children Dub to Premiere at Otakon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cche7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Saw this at the Premiere in NY Children Film Festival. It was an amazing film.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
I am fairly happy with the kind of anime/movies mr. hosada directs, that and the advent of Mr. sadamoto's designs, this is definitely worth checking out.

HOWEVER I don't dig the fact they turn into wolves.... and their mom dates a wolf..... ugh my furrie senses are tingling....

Having seen the movie, it did get quite damn weird when some of that stuff occurs. I'd definitely see the movie again on the big screen given the chance, but I wouldn't jump on the "masterpiece" bandwagon like what always happens for Hosada films, and I know this one is going to get the same ridiculous overpraising that Summer Wars did just because "zomg it's about being a parent, 5/5!"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:51 am Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:

HOWEVER I don't dig the fact they turn into wolves.... and their mom dates a wolf..... ugh my furrie senses are tingling....

Oh she did more than that. Laughing

(That was interesting for kids to see.)
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I saw it back in March with Hosoda at MIT. Those who have yet to see it are in for a real treat. It's so far my pick for best film of 2013 (even though it technically came out last year, but it's getting its official release in the states sometime this Autumn, I think).
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
AX gets Psycho Pass but Otakon only gets this? Any way we could swap those? Smile

Given the choice between a couple episodes of a TV series that's been available subbed online for a while or a complete movie that isn't available legally anywhere but at cons I'm going to go with the movie every time.

I was starting to worry that there wouldn't be anything like this at Otakon this year, really glad I'm going this year.

Emerje
AX is said to have Psycho Pass dubbed, however, which is as "rarified" as this movie.

This movie looks to be a fluffy & overly-emotional piece that requires the viewer to stifle his evaluation of the movie based on logic and reason and instead just go "along for the ride", letting the movie play his heartstrings in order to get any enjoyment out of it. Because this is something that I am not willing to do, I can't countenance giving a movie's logical failings a pass just because of its emotional appeals, it was agonizing for me to sit through Summer Wars. Since this movie looks to be more of the same, and from what I can find online it is more of the same, I'd prefer almost anything over this.

But hey, Funimation, if you could put the "premiered" eps of Psycho Pass dubbed up on your Elite streaming service and get the powers that be to schedule this screening up against another "big draw" event then I would consider that to be the Best of Both Worlds. Thanks Cool

Maybe you should WATCH it first before judging? And I fail to understand what was illogical about Summer Wars. Anything that was illogical was to be expected with a plot similar to Digimon. Hosoda isn't one to shove cliched emotion into your face, the emotional sides of his films feel natural. You don't seem like the kind of person that would be fun at parties. Especially when you dislike such pure and uplifting films. Inform me more of the lack of logic in Summer Wars and we can have a more in-depth discussion. Wink
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:

Okay, stop right there.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing this dubbed. In fact along with Yoko Kanno this is probably what I am most looking forward to at the convention.

Normally I wouldn't be excited over a dub but as I already saw this subbed (with Hosoda in attendance) seeing it dubbed means I get to experience something new.

And having seen both this and Psycho Pass. I would say Otakon got the much better deal in terms of dub premieres.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2