• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Detective Loki DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh poo! Loki vol. 1 got a poor rating.

I have a spoiler question for the manga readers.

spoiler[Was Mayura meant to be a foil for Hel (Loki's daughter)? They both looked similar. And was his crime the way he mistreated Hel? I was just wondering because he was turned into a child and exiled. ]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It looked so cool in the trailer. I guess the first volume isn't worth it. Anywho does the series get better later on? I'm just thinking if I should wait until the complete boxset gets released.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:13 pm Reply with quote
A friend showed me the first episode or so fansubbed a while back, and it looked at least interesting to me then. And that same friend has long been ranting about ADV dragging their feet on releasing the title after liscencing it, so I think I'd assume it's a decent series...

Also, just what gives with the complaint about "too liberally reinterprets Norse gods"? Sheesh man, have you ever seen Eva? Or any of a number of other anime series that completely reinterpret some myth or another? I dunno, that comment alone makes me skeptical of the review as a whole, because that sort of reinterpretation is hardly unheard of, like it or no, and if you're gonna complain about one then you have to be critical of the rest as well...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote
Quote:
It looked so cool in the trailer. I guess the first volume isn't worth it. Anywho does the series get better later on? I'm just thinking if I should wait until the complete boxset gets released.

Well the first volume is giving some background info on 3 main characters. MD Loki has a huge cast of Norse gods of which 7 recur frequently and 3 human characters of which 1 is extremely important (Mayura). I thought the series got better later on and the relationship setup in volume 1 is very important. It gets very dark later on.

Episode 2 is on the Oct. Newtype USA preview disc, so you can sample it and see for yourself.

I was hoping for some background translation notes to be included with the Region 1 release, but I guess that was not meant to be.

Also, Ah! My Goddess uses Norse mythology characters (Belldandy, Skuld and Urd).
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Love Loki, but will agree that the anime (and US release of the manga) is weak, since viewers don't get the background info from Matantei Loki (minus Ragnarok).

I mean, I felt sad to see it rated low, but I generally agreed with it.

Though there was one thing that I totally found untrue.
Since when are outtakes of an English dub the least bit funny?!
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I saw the preview episode on the Newtype USA dvd a few days ago and thought that episode (2) kind of sucked. I'm still somewhat interested in the series partially because I like anime dealing with fantasy and magic, and also because I really like the intro with the song getting stuck in my head and the really cool imagery making the anime seem like it will get much more interesting later on. If a good portion of the show mirrors how the opening feels like, and less on the mediocre stuff like on episode 2, I'll definitely be purchasing the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1