• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Humanity Hating A.I.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I saw Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 but I'm pretty sure that the individual Boomers didn't go berserk because they were abused by their human overlords so much as they went berserk because the original boomer caused them to as part of her plan for conquest.

Question: Does it count as artificial intelligence if it is a cloned human brain linked up with some tech? Galatia, the "original" boomer, had a full-fledged clone-brain as I recall while the other boomers were given essentially lobotomized versions of her mind.

It always reminded me of that episode of Jonny Quest where the "genetic supercomputer" went berserk lol.

I'm glad to see some Tokyo 2040 on this list as that series was sorely neglected in its heyday. BTW, speaking of human-hating AIs, what about the one AI from Solty Rei? She was almost Glados-esque in a way.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Count me among those that are wondering why the heck Sibyl is on this list.
unready

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
You could probably add Ryoko Naruse from Gonzo's Shangri-La to the list.

At first she seems like just a megalomaniacal bitch, but it turns out she's the human incarnation of Zeus, the AI that runs the futuristic city of Atlas. She (it?) makes it to being prime minister of Japan, but she also wants all the fearsome, mystical power of the centuries-dead miko buried at an intersection of ley lines, not coincidentally where Atlas was built.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Count me among those that are wondering why the heck Sibyl is on this list.

1) Hi spoilers, was trying to avoid that.

2) Would you all be happy if I'd put a spoiler[human-computer hybrid] in the description instead? Yes, I am aware that Sibyl is actually spoiler[ a bunch of sociopathic human brains fed into a computer system] and a primary plot point is its "otherness" to humans. So, regardless of the fact that spoiler[Sybil System is People!] I'm satisfied enough with its calculated machine-computerness to include it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed in not seeing Largo from the original Bubblegum Crisis not mentioned from eps. 5-6, now he was a definition of one who hated humanity to the extreme considering he is able to link up to the USSD's particle beam satellites orbiting from space and wipe out 3 of Genom's branch facilities from different parts of the world in an instant and took out innocent bystanders in the process and wanted to make a world where his fellow Boomer-kind can finally take their "rightful place" above humanity. spoiler[He beat Priss to a pulp in their fight in the climax and nearly killed her and had nearly killed Leon earlier in the 6th episode. What made Largo so dangerous is that he is the pet project of the late Brian J. Mason who was killed off in the 3rd episode of the OVA, and that Mason was creating the ultimate God-like Boomer by transferring his personality within Largo, plus using the black box from Cynthia who herself was able to link up to the same particle beam satellites. When Cynthia was killed, Mason had his female Boomer assistants retrieve her black box and he implanted it in Largo. Largo in essence is a revived Mason.]

However, I'm glad to see Sharon Apple of Macross Plus and Casper of NGE on the list.

Last edited by Mai Yukino on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:12 am; edited 2 times in total
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Not to be picky, but I have to object a little bit to HAL9000 used as an example of a "humanity hating A.I.". The only reason HAL attempts to kill Dave Bowman and the others is that he has been programmed with an impossible set of imperatives (do not distort any data or information and also keep secret from the crew the true purpose of the Jupiter mission). Since his orders contradict each other, his logical solution is to eliminate the humans. In 2010, it is revealed that once the non-disclosure orders are wiped from his memory, there's no trace of his previous behavior; in fact, he is more than willing to sacrifice himself to help the crew of the Leonov escape.

Now, Skynet on the other hand...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow didn't expect to see GaoGaiGar make the list. Yep the Zondars were a problem all the way up the end of the series.

Definitely 'Metropolis' in a creepy saddening way.

I may have to watch Macross Plus as I've always heard about Sharon Apple. Never knew what the story was about mainly because I'm not a Macross fan. But it doesn't hurt to give a shot.

At least Eve from Megazone 23 loved humanity.

I wonder if the hive mind in Gunbuster 2 counts. In Gunbuster we knew them as aliens from deep space, but by GB2 it was something else.

Black Magic M-66 could fall into this camp. You have an android that was modeled after the victim but due to an accident it pretty much could destroy anything in it's way to get to that one initiative.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that Morgana Mode Gone (from .hack//SIGN & .hack PS1) wasn't here. An A.I. that wantonly traps players in an MMO and puts them into comas certainly doesn't care much for humans spoiler[, especially since it was human player data that was slowly bringing Aura closer to birth and Morgana closer to obsolescence.]
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know any of the characters on the list. Disappointing.

Anyway, I'm not attending any conventions because I live in Japan. Sure, I'll go to Comiket and other events, but there really no "conventions".
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:30 am Reply with quote
Nan Desu Kan for me! And man I love Metropolis.
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
Since I put down "other" for conventions, the one I'm going to is ConnectiCon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
No Youmacon or Anime Weekend Atlanta? Your poll is invalid.

Clearly they're not cons declared worthy of being on a poll. Crying or Very sad

Going to Youmacon
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:53 am Reply with quote
Lol, the number one (at the moment) on that new poll is Free! That's interesting.
stararnold

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the survey, Otakuthon, which is not in the list of names, is happening in August at the Palais des Congres (Montreal, QC, Canada), so I voted "other". But at the moment, I am not sure if I will be going or not.

On the topic of human-hating AI's, the one in Macross Plus is one unforgettable A.I.. Funny that the Puppet Master from 1995's Ghost in the Shell did not make the list.

Last edited by stararnold on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SixGunAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Already attended MomoCon, which was mostly a supreme disappointment.

Had to cancel on Animazement, but will return next year.

Still left, my "Other" con is Anime Weekend Atlanta. This will be #3 for me.

Wanted to hit Otakon and Dragon*Con, but lack of funds + work = life is unfair.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3