• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon XY TV Anime to Debut on October 17 with Satoshi/Ash

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
another pokemon series yet same lead & pokemon til now wonder when finally season when ash & pikachu finally "pass the torch" to next era lead?

give still 10yrs til now really either pokemon timeline move very slow or that really they need main faces of pokemon anime.
NoirSon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
What the hell happened to them announcing a year or so ago about ending the Pokemon anime series for good? Is Pikachu REALLY that popular that they still can't retire this program with whatever little dignity it may have had left?

Bah, whatever if the kids still love this stuff, just like the Simpsons ain't much you can do but it ignore it as best you can.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
NoirSon wrote:
What the hell happened to them announcing a year or so ago about ending the Pokemon anime series for good? Is Pikachu REALLY that popular that they still can't retire this program with whatever little dignity it may have had left?

Bah, whatever if the kids still love this stuff, just like the Simpsons ain't much you can do but it ignore it as best you can.

Was that announcement even close to legit? Or was that announcement about how the Black and White series is ending soon?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Satoshi doesn't get dumber any season, just the dub writing.

I'm just amazed people are hung up over age. It's like no one has ever seen a show that lasted hundreds of episodes before.

In the original, he's still starting over again in his Pokemon knowledge, for the most part. Checking the PokeDex over and over on Pokemon he's seen several times before. It's all for the new generations and fans watching the show, so they place him and Pikachu back to "Level 1" bascially, since having an overpowered Pikachu beating everything would just be predictable and boring.

I'm glad SO many people ended up being rational about the age on this topic. I don't understand why people should even care? What does it matter? People have brought up Simpsons, and to me it's similar. They've had HOW many Christmas and Halloween specials, so how many years would have passed for them? It's just a show, it doesn't have to follow the rules of reality, and Simpsons does it for a reason just like Pokemon and other shows do :/
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
They're never going to get rid of Ash. He's been around for too long, it's too late to do it now. Besides, I'd rather they not do a Yu-Gi-Oh! and constantly reboot the series.

razisgosu wrote:
Ash the eternal 10 year old returns as the protagonist! This is why the Pokemon anime is terrible. I saw the trailer released for Pokemon Black and White 2, if the anime was like that, I would DEFINITELY watch it, it looked fantastic.

Fun fact: The animated trailer was less than 5 minutes long. If you only focused on 5 minutes of the current anime, you'll be able to get practically the same thing.

Also, how come everyone jumps on Ash for being eternally 10 years old, yet no one bats an eyelid at The Simpsons, Shin Chan and about every other TV show featuring a child.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
I really hope this is the final series with Ash. I think they should let him win the pokemon league and move on. The next series can feature a new protagonist. Maybe they can get Brock or Dawn to accompany the new protagonist to make the transition easier for the audience.

And if not, please let Ash mature!! Stop making him dumber each season by forgetting how to use a pokeball or using a pokedex on a charmander!!!!!!!!
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
Yay Ash is back. Will he forget everything again? Will he still have the useless Pikachu that he refuses to evolve? Oh what fun!

*drip drip drip*
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
kayori1928 wrote:
Bring Back Misty and Brock and then I might actually watch it.

The former writer of the anime, Takeshi Shudo, said shortly before his death that Misty will not return. Also, Brock was in the Diamond/Pearl series and did nothing, which is most likely why he was replaced. Their stories have pretty much been resolved anyway - Misty is a full-time Gym Leader and Brock left to train to be a Pokémon Doctor.

Ambimunch wrote:

And if not, please let Ash mature!! Stop making him dumber each season by forgetting how to use a pokeball or using a pokedex on a charmander!!!!!!!!

There's a reason for that. The show's target audience is grade-school children in Japan, who would have only got into the franchise with Black & White, or Diamond & Pearl at a stretch. They most likely won't know what a Charmander is.

IanC wrote:
Yay Ash is back. Will he forget everything again? Will he still have the useless Pikachu that he refuses to evolve? Oh what fun!

*drip drip drip*

Like the writers are just going to get rid of the franchise's mascot...
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
its all about red, when i was into pokemon i wanted ash to be..... well what the pokemon theme was, the very best, but he didint even make it that far in the kanto competition, but he did his best.

adding new series with new characters just never had him progress at all, he constantly regresses, its a kids show in the end but thats why I stopped caring after the orange league. this was when i was in 6th grade.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
vangelionite88 wrote:
its all about red, when i was into pokemon i wanted ash to be..... well what the pokemon theme was, the very best, but he didint even make it that far in the kanto competition, but he did his best.

adding new series with new characters just never had him progress at all, he constantly regresses, its a kids show in the end but thats why I stopped caring after the orange league. this was when i was in 6th grade.

Kanto League: Top 16
Johto League: Top 8
Hoenn League: Top 8
Sinnoh League: Top 4
Unova League: Top 8

The only time he's "regressed" was the Unova league, which frankly, was very poorly written (what with trying to make Trip the next Paul, than giving up miserably). What's good about Pokémon though, with Ash not winning a league yet (Aside from Orange Islands), it teaches kids that's okay to lose, that all you really need to do is try your best and never give up.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Let me just take One Piece, Bleach, Reborn, and Naruto as examples. All their characters have aged. If it's a story based show, like Pokemon, the characters should age, it makes sense. .

Having a timeskip is a pretty weak example of a show aging someone. One Piece goes 500 episodes and then they do a time skip and then it's another 500 episode of the exact same thing before the time-skip and that is somehow meaningful and important? Is having that 1 episode time-skip that important to you when it accomplishes nothing outside of giving Oda an excuse to re-do the character designs and power up some characters off-screen?

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Hopefully Team Rocket will be competent.

That got such a negative feedback in Japan they went back to being comic relief. Personally, I'm glad.

Sheleigha wrote:
In the original, he's still starting over again in his Pokemon knowledge, for the most part. Checking the PokeDex over and over on Pokemon he's seen several times before.

Just because he scans a new Pokemon with a new updated zukan doesn't mean he doesn't know what it is. In Isshu, most of the time he says he knows what it is when he scans it and does so the show Dent and Iris. Obviously the scanning is for the kids, but they surrogate that by having him do it to show Iris and Dent who have never seen non-Isshu native Pokemon. In Diamond and Pearl they surrogate it by usually having Hikari scan older Pokemon.

Quote:
It's all for the new generations and fans watching the show, so they place him and Pikachu back to "Level 1" bascially, since having an overpowered Pikachu beating everything would just be predictable and boring.

Levels don't exist in the anime.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Satoshi doesn't get dumber any season, just the dub writing.

Ash being 'dumb' has very little to do with the dub. In BW episode two, he threw a Pokeball at a wild Deerling without battling it and Iris had to remind him how things worked... He hasn't done that since what, episode one of the whole series? Im sure he grows out of it, but he seemed particularly naive in the beginning of BW.

Personally I think the Pokedex thing is fair because presumably he could get different info from different Pokedexes. Plus we don't have May or Dawn around to scan all the older Pokemon anyway so someone's gotta do it.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
vangelionite88 wrote:

Kanto League: Top 16
Johto League: Top 8
Hoenn League: Top 8
Sinnoh League: Top 4
Unova League: Top 8

The only time he's "regressed" was the Unova league, which frankly, was very poorly written (what with trying to make Trip the next Paul, than giving up miserably). What's good about Pokémon though, with Ash not winning a league yet (Aside from Orange Islands), it teaches kids that's okay to lose, that all you really need to do is try your best and never give up.

I guess if you're perpetually 10 years old you can keep going again and again.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Ash being 'dumb' has very little to do with the dub. In BW episode two, he threw a Pokeball at a wild Deerling without battling it and Iris had to remind him how things worked... He hasn't done that since what, episode one of the whole series? Im sure he grows out of it, but he seemed particularly naive in the beginning of BW.

Oh, that? He was just excited about being in a new land with new Pokemon. He knows how to capture Pokemon and after he stopped being excited he did just as well as he normally does.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
That would make sense if he had ever done that before. He's been to Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh and never done such a thing even though he was very excited to go to those regions. I can understand being excited and screwing up, but that was a basic derp for a character with his experience. Again, he seemed to grow out of it by now though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6