• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2005 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zapharan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
Zac's right, there's no reason to attack him because he gives his opinion based on what little information is presented in a first episode. And if you don't like the format of the guide (or just don't like Zac) you don't have to read it. There are plenty of other ways to get the lowdown on new series. That being said, I watched the first episode of every series in the guide, except for Mai-Otome (since I really didn't like Mai-HiME), before I read it. I found that I was left with all of the same impressions that Zac described, and basically agreed with his assessments across the board. This leads me to conclude that Zac is doing a good job with the preview guide (at least for me). Keep up the good work.

Also, I agree that there were some good series left out. Noein was very interesting, and I'm looking forward to more. Animal Yokocho was surprisingly entertaining (though make no mistake, it is a little kids show). The antics of the AniYoko Trio kind of reminds of the Animaniacs, only much more mild. But, hey, I don't expect every series to get covered.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:26 am Reply with quote
wao wrote:
Excuse me while as a drooling Satelight fangirl I sadly sigh that one of the season's best jewels, Noein, wasn't included. Really quite unfortunate - and it would have probaly passed the first ep review too, IMO.

I don't know if it'll be this season's best, but Noein definitely looks to be a good series (though this is only after seeing the first ep). Though for the most part, it looks like that this season will be one of the ones where I don't get into too many series, unlike last season (spring/summer season) where I was rivetted to GSD, FMP! TSR, Tsubasa, Speed Grapher and Eureka 7 (still continuing).
ladholyman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo gets shounen anime done right with Black Cat. Trippy animation though.
TheBigN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Taruto wrote:
I'll admit that ARIA the Animation is quite an aquired taste, but to call it boring is a little harsh.. it's just a general, slow paced series, like a lot of "slice of life" series (like Haibane Renmei). Shame they only seem to appeal to a tiny audience though. Rolling Eyes

It just a shame that people judge the series by what it seems to be rather than what it is - hey, even the scenario kinda hints it's not going to be massively exciting - a traditional world set in the future, where everything is manual, including travel, which is massively focused on compared to anything else in the anime and manga versions of the series (but that wasn't really that much a surprise, surely).

Personally I really like the gentle, slow pace of it all compared to some of the "better" series out there (Naruto and FMA, anyone?).

I actually agree with you. Though I like most types of anime out there, I personally have a soft spot for slice of life shows, even though I would think that Haibane Renmei transcends that (especially in those last couple of episodes. Razz). I know a lot of people that disliked Yokohama Shopping Log on the basis of it being too boring (nobody doing anything... exciting... Razz), and if you've read the manga, you should expect ARIA to do the same thing. But I think there is something nice in letting yourself relax and enjoy the slow pace that things go through. It may be a slice of life, but you let it do what it's supposed to do, it could be a pretty enjoyable anime, regardless of what you want it to do.

And to switch angles, I also didn't really think that Mai-HiME was overhyped. I did know that people considered it the "best worst show out there", and people do get other people to watch with things like that. People who are watching Mai-HiME aren't necessarily expecting Mai-Otome to be anything special. I liked Mai-HiME when I watched it, and I'm checking this out because of that (and because of Yuki Kajiura, Razz), but I'm not expecting it to be something special in terms of anime, just mildly enjoyable.
astra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:01 am Reply with quote
Nice preview. The only show I've seen so far was Paradise Kiss and it was great. I'd argue that the animation itself wasn't so good but the art itself was amazing. I love the detail in each person's face. Its a nice contrast to other anime. And I'm in love with the SD/cartoonish versions of the characters! Some fans of the manga might not like them, but I think they work really well. I love how in the closing, George gets knocked over but quickly gets up, dusts himself off, and grins rakishly at Yukari. It reminded me of that wolf in old Loony Tunes cartoons that howled at women, heh. Its a perfectly "cartoonish" characterization for him.
No love for Densha Otoko? Sure, its not technically anime but it stars an otaku and has animation by Gonzo, I think? And it has music by Electric Light Orchestra! Franz Ferdinand wha? Give me my ELO Very Happy
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:

No love for Densha Otoko? Sure, its not technically anime but it stars an otaku and has animation by Gonzo, I think? And it has music by Electric Light Orchestra! Franz Ferdinand wha? Give me my ELO Very Happy

Densha Otoko is over. It aired from July 7 to Sept 22 with a bonus episode in October so it wouldn't have fallen under a "Fall Preview Guide."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Anthony P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
purple_monkey wrote:
Blood+:

Of course this is the most hyped up show. Hans Zimmer's doing the music! Wait, that's not the reason why people are watching this? . . . Sad Well, as you can see, dark animes galore in my favorites this season. Though I'm a bit disappointed as Blood+ is looking to be a simple Bleach-like show without the humor (can't think of a better example right now). I was hoping for a show to follow the movie (like the manga did) or one that better explained Saya's past (while still following the movie). But who knows, one episode doesn't say much. Still watching this.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed too. I've seen the first three episodes, and although the animation quality and directing are solid, I can't help but feel that it would stand out from the crowd more if the series retained the animation style and character designs of the movie. It's looking to be a good series, though.
FlaGator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
I'd actually like to see Weed, even if it was only to compare it to The Plague Dogs, another (relatively obscure) serious animation about talking dogs.

Though they did get around the problem of talking dogs looking goofy in a fairly obvious way, when you get down to it, Wolf's Rain was essentially a totally serious series about talking dogs, as well. And a quite good series, too.
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm an insomniac and I tried Aria for treatment. It was not very effective. I was however very captivated by it. At this point, I don't believe Junichi Sato can direct, conceptualize, or produce any animated work that I would not enjoy or not completely fall in love with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4