• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Entertainment Comments on Sub-Only Blue Exorcist DVDs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicrevenge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:01 am Reply with quote
I understand but it is still upsetting because I really wanted the DVDs to have both. Even if the Definitive Edition DVDs had an English dub I'd have still been upset though. I'd want a separate release since blu-ray discs are useless to me. I guess now I know to buy the subtitled DVDs when I get the chance.
Comsr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
£50 nets you a decent Blu-ray player today. Is that too expensive? Think it as an investment for the future.
It's not out of the question that certain releases will be Blu-ray exclusive and when a DVD exists, it costs more than the BD version.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Blu Rays are no use to me until companies start to put BR drives in laptops as standard. I don't have a TV/PS3 and don't really want one.
Comsr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Blu Rays are no use to me until companies start to put BR drives in laptops as standard. I don't have a TV/PS3 and don't really want one.
An external Blu-ray drive costs about £60 if you don't want to have your laptop opened for a drive swap. Sometimes, it won't hurt to be pro-active instead of waiting for companies to do all the work for you.
There's somewhat a recent trend where certain laptops don't come with an optical drive at all.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
I have a laptop by that certain company... Fortunately, I bought it before they made the monumentally stupid decision to not include optical drives.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I think they did the best they could, and I'd much rather have a Blu-ray release with both audio tracks than just be left with the sub-only DVDs.
Like a user has stated, you can get a Blu-ray player for £50.
That's nothing really when you consider pretty much all recent anime is produced in HD, and it's an investment for the future.
If you watch on a computer, you can buy an optical drive for even cheaper.

Yes, some people may want to stick to cheaper DVDs, but if you want something enough, then at least the option is there to buy the Blu-ray release.
aeris2001x2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
If you're a Dubbie then tough. Subbies put up with on on VHS for decades.

And games still stubbornly have dub only most of the time. Sort it out Square Enix Sad
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, they chose their horse and it kicked them into a ditch on Blue Exorcist dvd.

Hope the BR does better for them.

aeris2001x2 wrote:
If you're a Dubbie then tough. Subbies put up with on on VHS for decades.
Get with the times, Grandad.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
For me, I'd actually prefer if they just released the blu-ray separately as opposed to a combi-pack. I have 3 blu-ray players in my house and as such, have no use for the DVDs.
Comsr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
I have 3 blu-ray players in my house and as such, have no use for the DVDs.
As posted elsewhere...
Re: Why must I pay for a BD to get a DVD for certain anime? wrote:
1. Buy DVD/BD combo
2. Sell the DVDs (???)
3. Profit!
Sell or give away the discs to somebody. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 am Reply with quote
Yep, Timing is everything, which is why I rent first. Believe it, or not I'm an old git what still watches his anime on his 625 PAL CRT off a DVD player so there it is. Blue Exorcist isn't that big a deal to me so no real loss. My old Sony Trinitron lasted me 22 years before I had to finally replace it with a Panasonic wide screen which was eight years ago. My experience with flat screens at work has shown me plasmas and LCD only seem to last 7 or 8 years before being totally useless. I'm not use to replacing my teles so quickly. Maybe when O-LEDs come down enough in price to warrant the investment, then maybe I'll get a Blue ray, or I might die. Which ever comes first. Laughing
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I have a laptop by that [b]certain company[b]... Fortunately, I bought it before they made the monumentally stupid decision to not include optical drives.

Based on that im going to say you could have gotten a better more productive PC and HD for less...
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
st_owly wrote:
I have a laptop by that [b]certain company[b]... Fortunately, I bought it before they made the monumentally stupid decision to not include optical drives.

Based on that im going to say you could have gotten a better more productive PC and HD for less...

Not for sound engineering. PC's are terrible at that compared to Macs, and that's what I principally need it for. And it's fully capable of playing HD video, it just doesn't have a BR drive.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
st_owly wrote:

Not for sound engineering. PC's are terrible at that compared to Macs, and that's what I principally need it for. And it's fully capable of playing HD video, it just doesn't have a BR drive.

still you could have built a hackintosh for much cheaper than you'd pay for a MAC.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, you can use an external BD drive with a MAC and there is playback software available. I use an external drive with my PC (the old model of the Asus monolith).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2