• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dog and Scissors (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote

Dog & Scissors (Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyō)
Genres: comedy, mystery

Plot Summary: The absurd mystery comedy centers around Kazuhito Harumi, a high school boy who is obsessed with reading books. One day, he is killed in the middle of a robbery — and resurrected as a dachshund dog. Unable to read in his new form, the hapless Kazuhito now belongs to Kirihime Natsuno, a sadistic novelist who uses scissors on Kazuhito to abuse him.

Episode 1
I just finished watching this and wow, that was funny lol. spoiler[The OP song was very catchy in terms of visuals. Then, there's the dog of course aka Kazuhito who is getting abused]. Poor him :/

I really liked Kirihime in the episode quite a bit though. spoiler[She not only got style but also seems to have a way of speech mannerisms. Oh and of course she's skilled with scissors. Anyways, I'll look forward to more of this. It seems like she's going to settle against something..at the end there. Speaking of which, that ED song is COOL.]

Nice episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Sadly not a sequel to Pumpkin Scissors. Anime cry
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It's got Marina Inoue in a sadistic role as "Yomi" character, that's good enough to try it out for me. I guess this is the first thing for my Mondays, it's kind of annoying that so much anime gets overloaded on Thursday–Sunday while Monday–Wednesday end up kind of dry.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Just caught the first episode and really liked it. Humour is working for me. This one has keeper written all over it for me even though it's early days. I wonder why scissors are so popular in anime these days? They played a role in Mysterious Girlfriend and of course The Severing Crime Edge just finished. Hmmm.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why scissors are so popular in anime these days?

Possibly because you can't carry a knife that long in Japan???
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I think you might be onto something there, Alan45 ... or maybe Japan is just a nation of frustrated hair stylists...
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
A small chested, red eyed sadist with the same VA as Yozora from Haganai? Count me in.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
..........this show is weird.

....but that's why it's interesting. Anime hyper

I wasn't sure I wanted to watch this, but Takahiro Sakurai being the lead sold me into at least trying the first episode. Rolling Eyes

To my relief, spoiler[the "animal abuse" is actually kept to a minimum with verbal threats...and although we don't see everything she does with the scissors, she obviously doesn't seriously hurt him with them. Looks like she feeds him really well too-tasty human food instead of icky dog food. That's nice. Anime hyper]

I'll stick with it.
But first I'll share a screenie I got the biggest LOL out of.

Dem bloodshot eyes. Looks like me when I have to go without my computer for a week or something...Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
^ I really liked that scene with the bloodshot eyes too.

Episode 1

I am not a huge fan of the comedy yet, so far sounds a bit too depressing for me to actually laugh at what he is going through. I mean, she should spoiler[feel bad that he died just because she could not pay attention to what was around her]. But on the other end it does look she does indeed spoiler[feel really guilty about it, and she is trying to make things easier on him]. I will theorise that she is spoiler[actually not as sadistic as she appears, and she has actually been getting into character for her book, Lust. The episode already implied that she tries things to get facts that would help her writing].

I will hope that I will come around, It did take me a while to laugh at Hayate from how cruel it can be after all. Will most likely watch just because it looks fun.

EDIT: almost forgot to mention that Kirihime's character design totally aligns with my favourite type, as evidenced by my current avatar, I look forward to more.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote
This show is hitting a "WTF did I just watch?" button. First the negatives:
- I don't think sadistic, vaguely sexual animal torture is funny.
- I am getting so sick of jokes about a women's bust line. We had more than enough of that in The Devil is a Part-Timer.
-some of the jokes were predictable, boke/tsukkomi stuff. I predicted a few punchlines and pratfalls.
spoiler[-the author didn't seem all that grateful that he saved her life.
-mystery set-up at the end reminded me of Is This a Zombie?]

Positive stuff:
+the OP/ED were both hilarious. The songs aren't memorable, but the animation is great. Especially spoiler[the tough guys in the OP and the secret agent/bodyguard types in the ED
+"Write Lust already!" I like the idea of a guy addicted to books.
+Who's that intriguing pop-idol girl, and how will she fit into the show?
+They actually gave the author a reason for being annoyed at dog-boy. Anyone would be peeved at someone else's thoughts coming into their head unbidden, especially if those thoughts were a whiny call of their name.
+maybe the author has a reason for being sadistic? Is she just getting into character for her next novel?]

I'd rate this ep a 2.5/5 and might watch the next few eps to see how the humor gels. But I still didn't finish some shows from last season, and there is always something new or classic to check out.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

- I don't think sadistic, vaguely sexual animal torture is funny.

I missed the sexual part. o_O

DuskyPredator wrote:
EDIT: almost forgot to mention that Kirihime's character design totally aligns with my favourite type, as evidenced by my current avatar, I look forward to more.

I like the artwork in your avatar more. :3
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
^ The way the author kept changing to lingerie seemed vaguely sexual to me.
Papochulo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^ The way the author kept changing to lingerie seemed vaguely sexual to me.

spoiler[And here I was thinking it was her possible attempts at castration.
]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I missed the sexual part. o_O

Well rope and verbal abuse are pretty integral parts to S&M play.

I wonder how they'll handle a harem where the central male is a dog.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that the OP animation looked so bad. Maybe it was just CR's stream, but I'm used to the OP sequences for series to be better than the usual for the series itself... Hmm... Maybe it was, since I was relatively underwhelmed by the rest of the art and animation for episode 1.

I liked a couple of the dog's lines, but most everything intended to be humourous fell flat for me. I was hoping that the writer was going to use her scissors to clip that bit of fur that sticks up on the dog's head, but it looks like I'll have to wait _at_least_ one more episode for that to happen (not that I actually expect them to remove that really annoying bit that moves without proper explanation so far).

I'll probably put up with one more episode in hopes that it improves drastically, but I'm not too optimistic. Maybe some more interesting characters will arrive on the scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8