• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dog and Scissors (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I think a reason I don't like this series is that it comes across as mean to me.

But that's what makes it fun.

::cough::pussy::cough::

This show is not even close to being my fave from the summer but I've basically enjoy it for what it is. It is a bit of a mess with a "kitchen sink" approach taken to the comedy (i.e. they've thrown in everything but the...) I guess I just have a thing for red-eyed sadists.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I guess I just have a thing for red-eyed sadists.

I do too, but for some reason she does not excite the same amount as I should expect.

She does fall short of another red eyed sadist this season who pretty much makes her look like a child, which I am talking about from Neptune.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
you know, if Kiri Haimura and Kirihime ever met and joined forces, they could do some serious damage
dan7el

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else expecting the dog to somehow magically either turn into a human or the young man's soul being bound to the dog will somehow become bound to another human male by the end of the season?

The singing maid with the razor-knife broom is the best.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Drunk Natsuno] and spoiler[the whole fantasy] amde this episode far less disappointing than I thought it would be. Still, looks like we'll have to look out for Season 2 if we want a conclusion...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Well this anime had its funny moments, but it could have been better. We never really got to see the 3rd author except for aspoiler[ couple scenes in fantasies. ] I will give this a decent.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

I found that finale lame. It felt like a throw-away where they rammed all the half-baked bits that didn't pass muster earlier. With that last bad taste in my mouth, I had to rate this show So-So.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm also rating this show so-so. It became a chore for me to watch and I had to skim through various parts later on in the show. The finale is lame and I barely paid attention to it.

At one point, I thought the dog might turn back to human...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

Not entirely sure what I can talk about this episode by itself, so I will start by rating the entire series. I will rate this as So-so. You know, this should have grabbed my attention, it looked like it had the production value that it should have, but being invested just did not happen. The plot was so throw away that it was not exactly something I looked forward to, and although it was wack, I don't think that it was funny enough. I think I said it before that I found the humour either mean, or just really shallow, I am not sure if I can recall one moment where I praised it for being witty.

Trying to look for a positive, I think that I can come up with something, and that might have been charm. Dogs and Scissors had some charm with artwork, the dog thing, shining girl, scissors, etc. But unfortunately I think that they may have overused their charm pieces. And comparing it to another show, say Fantasista Dolls, I can compare a show that should have worked but did not, and a show that should not work but actually kept me entertained.

The stories/mysteries felt (tee hee), and these last two episodes were one: something that felt like a rehash of past jokes in a frustrating fashion. And two: Well it did not fill me with a sense of closure, it did not make me want to watch more, did not make me want to rewatch, and was predictable and unfunny.

I don't usually write this negative, but I want to be honest, I tend to be over positive and defensive. Also, although the OP song is catchy, there was something about the visuals that I did not like and thus often skipped it. Perhaps I did not like how the girls were portrayed in it for some reason, and this is coming from a guy who liked the new High School DxD opening. Wait, was there an ED *looks it up*, oh yes, well I found it pretty forgetful, and I was not to happy with her shown in underwear, again look up an ED I did praise, but I would probably say that it least that fit the series, while I don't really expect her to be in this series.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I swear to God, was I the only one who actually liked not just this episode, but the series in general? Now granted, it wasn't a must-see by any means, and we didn't get much closure, but I found it to be pretty funny and entertaining despite its troublesome premise. Of course, this is probably my bias towards animated comedies talking; even as a kid, I've always preferred watching the likes of Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, and Rocko's Modern Life (and those three still resonate as some of my all time favorite series) over action shows like Dragon Ball Z (I didn't get into the franchise until last year) and (please don't kill me) Batman: The Animated Series. That said, every while there is a genuine action show that I enjoy (i.e. Trigun and The Spectacular Spider-Man).

So overall, yeah, I rate this as good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
well, I certainly wont be missing this show. it was funny at times, but really, it was just stupid. who the hell is the girl in the wheelchair? So-So
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
well, I certainly wont be missing this show. it was funny at times, but really, it was just stupid. who the hell is the girl in the wheelchair? So-So

She is the maid's master and the 3rd famous female writer.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
oh, I thought Hami was the third author
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8