• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Build Fighters TV Anime to Premiere in October

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

How does someone "look heterosexual", precisely?

Please, do explain. I'm sure it will be fascinating

Okay, now you're really taking the piss. They look like girls, what more explanation do you need? If you can't grasp that and want to hear something 'extreme' then you're not worth talking to.

So you are saying that a male who looks somewhat effeminate is automatically not heterosexual?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:32 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

So you are saying that a male who looks somewhat effeminate is automatically not heterosexual?

Nope.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Nope.

Actually I do believe that that is what you said.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
You read wrong, I simply said they 'look' very effeminate which is unhetero-like but I didn't say they were automatically not heterosexual. Kind of like metrosexual, Simple as that.

Anyway, until you stop mixing up what was really said and what was meant (and it's pretty stupid of you to not understand why effeminate-looking men is a bit of an eyesore, especially when 90% of the main cast is such and trying to diverge into another topic entirely) Good day.

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
Should be fun. Never underestimate the entertainment value of kid's anime.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:07 am Reply with quote
I was hoping they would make another war drama AU. but this might be entertaining.

Howeverm, for once in Gundam's history, I'd like the main character and Gundam pilot to be a girl. That'd be different and cool.

Having watched every Gundam series, with the exception of G Gundam (and SD of course in case people wanna get snooty), there's loads of types of characters they have yet to experiment with.

We've had strong silent types: Heero, Trowa, Setsuna
We've had happy go lucky types: Garrod, Duo,
We've had angry types: Kamille, Shinn, Flit
We've had 'pacifist' types: Kira, Kio
We've had 'normal' people: Amuro, Seabook
We've had impulsive types: Uso, Asemu (to a degree)

How about a girl who's patient and calculating and really really smart.

Not gonna happen, I suppose.

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
^
For many years now numerous fans - myself included - have been asking for a Gundam series with a female main character. I see no reason why a female wouldn't work, since for decades Anime has had countless female warriors and mages and superheroes in the lead role of various series. And there have been plenty of female pilots in Anime, good ones like Kallen from Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Saki from Valvrave the Liberator and Yui from Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. So there's no reason not to have a girl/young woman in the lead role of a Gundam show. It's an idea whose time should have come years ago.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote
^

I'm pretty much BEGGING for one to the point where I will accept any lead girl as long as it's not Cagalli. Man, she waffles a lot she actually makes Relena look like Churchill.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Must be common to find the most homoerotic-looking picture and then say that all of Gundam is like that when the actual show itself the character (Char in the 2nd) didn't have him looking that pretty.
It was a pretty simple joke dude. And no, Char is a pretty handsome dude, my point being, this is a series were one of the most popular and iconic character is pretty, pretty. I mean it's kind of even a plot point. I'm quite sure Char has some female fans. So it's kind of funny to me, that we are complaining about this aspect of Gundam.

But it's also funny you're complaining about this stuff.

"eww there was a disgusting naked body in 00".

"you mean like a newtype scene in every show"

Oh and thanks for pointing out that it was Char in the 2nd pic, I had no idea.

Quote:
Especially looking at other main characters like Amuro, Kai, Bright Noa all look normal look anything but feminine.
I don't know man, Juda's got some girly pretty eyes in ZZ's first opening!
Quote:

It's hard wanting to read your post when all you do is act flippant,
Oh how am I flippant? It's hard to read your posts when they are full of BS and try to avoid people's actual arguments.

Quote:

1) Yes, Wing and SEED had pretty boy designs, but at least you can tell they were boys. So that's acceptable
You're honestly going to tell me, you can't tell that Lockon, Setsuna, and Alli aren't dudes? Are you blind? What is so hard to tell that this is a guy?

Really, you have a problem with this? But not Seed where everyone looks the same, so hell they might as well look like girls?

Really, you're only sticking point is Tieria, but thats it. All the other main characters gender is in no way ambiguous. You're blind if you think so. Tieria is a special case, even in the show itself.

Code:
2) Gundam 00 has GENDERLY AMBIGUOUS designs,

Yes it does, for Tieria and some of the other innovators. Those strange non-human maybe creators. The rest of the cast is not at all gender ambiguous unless being pretty and having long hair confuses your eyes.

Quote:
Even you can't deny that.
I'm not denying that the dudes are pretty and could be models. I deny that makes them ambiguous, because it dosent. Being pretty doesent make you automatically a girl.

Quote:
But, knowing you, you're gonna take offense that your favorite Gundam show is being criticized
If you actually knew me, then you'd know that I dislike 00.

My favorite Gundam show? Ha.

Quote:
in one aspect as if everything about it was spat on and take it
Um, WTF are you talking about. Do you even understand arguments? I hate to tell you, I haven't actually shown that I take any offense here. I've merely defending this one aspect of the show because I found your argument wrong. Other then talking about the characters, I haven't said much anything else about Gundam 00. But hey, you want to trail off, be my guest.

Quote:
further than that and say 'But this Gundam did this'. Not to mention how you don't seem to differentiate between the terms 'pretty boy' and 'gender ambiguity'.
You're right I don't seem to differentiate between them. Because I actually know what they are unlike you. There's nothing ambiguous about the cast outside of Tieria, which is a part of his character. He's special and not representative of the entire show. The other 3 characters are just pretty boys. Maybe you need to learn what the difference is, because you clearly don't. There's nothing ambiguous about Ali, Setsuna, and Lockon. But sure, because 1 of them is (and it has a point), yep all of 00's designs are ambiguous. Wait? Aren't you blaming me for my Char joke where you claim I looked at one design and tried to generalize all of the series? what are you doing to 00 then?

Quote:
Don't tell me (assuming you've seen Naruto) that when you saw Haku's face (and normal attire in one episode) and when he was revealed to be a boy you thought 'makes perfect sense!!'
I don't watch crappy shows, oh wait I watched Age.

Quote:
All I did was comment on 00's character designs and how it doesn't make sense for Gundam AGE to get attacked purely for that reason by fans that as Animeking1108 put it, want them to look the least heterosexual.

Wait? So you are saying that a male who looks somewhat effeminate is automatically not heterosexual? Didn't you say they were.

And where did Age get solely hated on here for it's character designs?
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:49 am Reply with quote
I liked AGE's designs.

The show was ungodly terrible, but the character designs were perfectly fine.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
So much for trying to get back on topic but here's everything nice and simple. If you can't grasp that, I'm pretty sure you can't, you're just wasting time. Because I know how bloody nerds and geeks have to have a science behind the quality of fiction.

YES!! That looks like a girl. His face is 110% feminine. The slender chin, the feminine eyes. The hairdo. The (VERY) thin eyebrows. the way they put all that together came a girl that they decided to make a guy in other body parts.

Sorry mate, I'm not gonna respond to more of your bull. I don't know how to be any clearer but you seriously must be stupid as to not get why a guy watching a supposed shonen/seinen show where 90% of the men look like girls plus seeing them all (together) in manservice scenes would feel awkward to say the least.

The crazy thing is, I liked every other aspect of 00, minus the movie. But I can't deny that it could have done without those scenes and designs.

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:50 am; edited 9 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Haven't watched G Gundam?

Opinion is invalid. Come back when you've watched it.

<---I know this comes as a shock to you, but this character is a guy.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
For many years now numerous fans - myself included - have been asking for a Gundam series with a female main character. I see no reason why a female wouldn't work, since for decades Anime has had countless female warriors and mages and superheroes in the lead role of various series. And there have been plenty of female pilots in Anime, good ones like Kallen from Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Saki from Valvrave the Liberator and Yui from Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse. So there's no reason not to have a girl/young woman in the lead role of a Gundam show. It's an idea whose time should have come years ago.

Not to mention those female lead pilots tend to come from series aimed towards otaku and aired late at night. Seriously, why can't they go forth with a female lead Gundam pilot (and also not have that BS circumstance in Turn A)?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:42 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
...and also not have that BS circumstance in Turn A)?

What circumstance?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sunrise has stopped trying altogether.

Or at least they probably should.

I think I'm about done with the Gundam franchise after Unicorn wraps up.

Even then Unicorn is just a poor imitation of Tomino at his finest. It's nice too look at and it's dub is best that Gundam's ever got, but it's still trying to emulate Early era stuff. It's not doing anything original or interesting with the ideas.

That's probably the problem with Gundam in general. Too much reverance for Tomino, not enough people willing to take risks with the IP, to take it in some new crazy direction. Less Gundam Seed and more G Gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7