• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam The Origin Anime & Tomino's Latest to Be Unveiled in 2014-2015

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Whoa, that's going to be awhile. As a mecha fan though, I can wait~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Do it Gundam fandom, find a reason to complain. Twisted Evil
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
So will there be a bad guy with a mask on in Gundam BF? To be continued.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Guessing they're wanting to get every other project finished before moving onto adapting the Origin into a anime. Eh, at least Unicorn will be wrapping up next year.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:51 am Reply with quote
Well I can at least read Vertical's beautiful release of the origin manga while I wait for the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
Hopefully Origin's anime makes it here like Unicorn did.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:10 am Reply with quote
Awesome. Excited to see what the format of Origin will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
rarirurero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Do it Gundam fandom, find a reason to complain. Twisted Evil

The Zaku-brand jeans I bought at Fuji-Q Highland in 2008 still won't fit...

On-topic:
How much of a departure is Origin from First Gundam?
From what I've been told it's grittier, but other than that?

Anyway, something to look forward to next year +.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
rarirurero wrote:
How much of a departure is Origin from First Gundam?

I'm spoiler tagging just for those people who don't want to know.

Oh, and I confess that this is taken straight from Wikipedia, since I'm lazy and don't want to type out a summary myself. Any inaccuracies in this are not my fault.

spoiler[Although for the most part faithful to the original series' plot (all of the major events unfold in mostly the same manner as the TV series, though often in different locales), Yasuhiko has taken the liberty of changing certain elements in the series universe, giving a different character to the series and the struggle that unfolds. Primary among these is the presence of mobile suits in both militaries well before the conflict begins—in fact, in the flashback sequences, both the Federation and Zeon militaries use Guntanks in 0068, and they and the Guncannon mobile suit are described as "obsolete" and fit for target practice in the first volume (in the TV series proper, both units were as new as the Gundam itself, designed to serve as long and mid-range fire support units).]

spoiler[Other differences concern the breadth of the Gundam's journey to Jaburo. Where it's implied that the White Base's journey to Jaburo in the series was pretty much a circumnavigation of the globe unconnected to many real-world locations, Yasuhiko's journey places the White Base's landfall near Los Angeles, the headquarters of Garma Zabi (in the series, Garma was based out of a generic "New Yark"—Origin in fact states the Zeon occupation HQ as Los Angeles City Hall, with Garma residing in Hollywood/Beverly Hills) and moves the craft steadily to the southeast, and down the South American coast—past Caracas, Venezuela and through Macchu Picchu and into Brazil, where Jaburo is located. This retelling cuts out some of the more trivial encounters seen in the original series, while keeping and expanding on important characters like Garma, Ramba Ral, and the Black Tri-Stars. As a direct result the events of Operation Odessa which takes place around the Ukrainian city of the same name, occur after the events of Jaburo, as opposed to the anime where they occur before.]

spoiler[Yasuhiko further finally tells the entire back story of the Gundam universe in the manga. After the successful defense of Jaburo, the story diverts into a very in-depth flashback, told primarily from the viewpoints of Sayla and Char (with a secondary thread being told from Amuro's POV) recounting the downfall of Zeon Zum Deikun, the rise of the Zabi family, the construction of Side 7 and the research into Mobile Suits, and leading up through a decade until the launching of the One Year War. It also goes into detail answering many previously unanswered questions such the appearance of heretofore unseen Zeon mobile suits prior to the MS-05 Zaku I, how Dozle Zabi received his trademark scars and even the origin of Casval Deikun/Edward Mass' "Char Aznable" identity. The canon status of these revelations is still a matter of debate. Volume fourteen, deals with the Battle of Loum at the beginning of the One Year War, and is the last piece of the in-depth flashback.]

spoiler[The story has since shifted back on track to the original anime's storyline, featuring the White Base's involvement in the Federation's Operation Odessa. As well as including Kai Shiden's encounter with Miharu. The most recent tankoubon serialization deals with the end of the Odessa campaign and (in another departure from the series) takes Ma Quve and his Gyan out of the picture before he has a chance to confront the Gundam.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
Totally stoked for Gundam: The Origin anime! The manga Vertical is publishing is fantastic. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with an anime adaptation.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
I'm more interested in what Crazy Uncle Tomino is up to now than a 0079 retread (though I'd still watch The Origin).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:11 am Reply with quote
I guess some people will now give UC a try since its being reanimated entirely. I'm more interested in Tominos new work though because in a way I've already seen Origin.

AGE was actually quite good by the way.

Last edited by the-antihero on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Other than having a date for UC 7, the announcement that there will an announcement in The Origin within the next 30 months is bullshit. If Bandai/Sunrise does not have a clear idea of when and how they plan to adapt The Origin iinto anime, why open their mouths now?

These announcements for future announcements piss me off.
NoirSon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Other than having a date for UC 7, the announcement that there will an announcement in The Origin within the next 30 months is bullshit. If Bandai/Sunrise does not have a clear idea of when and how they plan to adapt The Origin iinto anime, why open their mouths now?

These announcements for future announcements piss me off.

Yeah, it is a bit of a let down knowing that yeah, we are working on it but it is down the line and other the sketches and half promises we don't have anything other then building hype.
FigNewton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
I feel like I just read about a press conference appearance by Square.

"Please be excited."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2