• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Full Metal Panic! (TV) (discussion here)
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (TV) (discussion here)
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory (TV) (discussion here)

Genres: action, drama, romance, science fiction
Themes: mecha, military, real robot

Plot Summary: This series is set about two months after the events ocurred in the Tuatha de Danaan at the end of the original series. Mithril becomes aware of a secret organization that has technology able to counter the ECS (Electronic Cloaking System) mode. This organization, known as Amalgam, also has "Black Technology", obtained from "Whispered" like Kaname Chidori, and like the other intelligency agencies, they intend to obtain more. However, when Sousuke's mission to protect Chidori is terminated by Mithril, all seems to be in place for Amalgam's plans... Like many of its fans know, it is based of the FMP novel "The End of Day by Day."
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Okay I just saw the last episode of Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid and I'd just like to express my thoughts on it. Amazing though I'll only name what was bad about this episode. Even though this episode was extended to 27 minutes without the opening and ending songs it still felt really compressed for no real feeling into it. First of all is the fights that took place in this episode. After seeing spoiler[Yu Fang take on the Mithril group and seeing that she lasted long it was a complete shock that she was killed by Gates so easily. I know he is much a better pilot but to kill her in less than a minute was really a disappointment to me. Now after that Seeing as Gates and the rest of the Assisination Squad are even more powerful than Yu Fang it was even a bigger shock for me to see Sousuke and his Arbalest to easily kill them all off. Seeing as how Sousuke sorta struggled against Gates earlier in the series this complete turn around just felt to unrealistic of a change.]

Thats what I felt was wrong with the ending for me but overall it left me with one of the better endings that i've seen recently.

"Believe it!" or "Dattebayo!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Samurai Jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:26 pm Reply with quote
It was a real good season. I still like the original season the best so far. The last episode had to tie up some things in a quicker manner, this is true. spoiler[ About him beating everyone so quickly...I take it that a big part of this story (Day by Day) was about Souseke having personal issues and real doubts, and on top of it, feeling seperated from Chidori. He really resolved personal issues in eps. 13, and seeing Chidori again and then (well, of course, being thankful she was alive) and then being motivated by her, he felt his personal problems became resolved, and he became confident in himself and with the Arbelest. It was like a personal revelation, and then he was just in a phase where he had so much control and skill. With that, after finding stable grounding for himself, he went to town with those venoms! I think a very big part about TSR was Souseke finding himself, finding within himself the ability to pilot Arbelest confidently and well, and resolving serious personal issues. I believe this 'new' Souseke is developed to further develop the later stories of the FMP saga itself. ].

I look forward to the next FMP season. Smile
Iemander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad spoiler[Gates died. He was the most funny and best villian ever in an anime series, it's too bad he's gone, perhaps there're a few remarkable revivals for him too? Smile].
kazumatheshellbullet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
FMP being my all time favorite anime was followed up well with this season however the last episode did feel dry and wrapped up so quickly [spoiler] and gauron just died like that, he was the baddest villain to ever come up against Mithril before and to get shot in a bed without putting up a fight? spoiler[
the development between Souske and kaname hardly progressed and when you wait all season for them to be together again. they are only together for like the first five minutes ]
I thought it would at least be like how they ended episode 7 when spoiler[ Kaname helped Souske use the lambda driver] or something like that.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Iemander wrote:
I'm sad spoiler[Gates died. He was the most funny and best villian ever in an anime series, it's too bad he's gone, perhaps there're a few remarkable revivals for him too? Smile].

I wholeheartedly agree with you except he does kind of creep me out but in a funny way. Pretty lame how he died really but funny last words: spoiler["Is this too long?"]

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Luminescence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the last episode and can't wait until the next season (I hope there is one)! If there's one thing that disappointed me, it was that spoiler[Chidori didn't completely confess her love for Sousuke. When they were on the train, and Sousuke asks her what she meant to say back on the battlefield, she looks at him for a while and then says, "Nothing." And Sousuke simply replies, "I see." I still think each one knows how the other feels, however Wink].

And yeah, Gates' last line was pretty hilarious. Although I think my fansub translated it as spoiler["Isn't this too short?" instead of "Is this too long?" Minor difference, lol.] One question, though: spoiler[Why didn't Gates kill the lieutenant as Sousuke approached him? He totally could have killed his hostage, but instead he just stood there and got blown away. Weird.] Now I want to read the novels FMP is based on.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Overall I really enjoyed it; I thought it was a little better than the first series mainly because spoiler[it digs deeper into Sousuke and Chidori's relationship, which I liked]. And Gates is seriously one of the funniest villans ever; his randomness is not something you see everyday.

Though, yes, the ending did feel a little abrupt, spoiler[the final fight with Gates and the other Venoms wasn't as epic as I would've hoped], and there are still questions to be answered; spoiler[what about Tessa's brother? Who was the woman with the rifle at the end?] But this just means that there should be another series some time, which I'm looking forward to.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Though, yes, the ending did feel a little abrupt, spoiler[the final fight with Gates and the other Venoms wasn't as epic as I would've hoped], and there are still questions to be answered; spoiler[what about Tessa's brother? Who was the woman with the rifle at the end?] But this just means that there should be another series some time, which I'm looking forward to.

Okay to answer your questions in order:

1.I've read a spoiler that he gets more involved in the coming books.

2. spoiler[The woman with the rifle is also the same woman with the president?? of the Hunters. She is actually the true form of Wraith. Remember when Wraith got shot in the head by Yu Lan or was it Yu Fang (I get confused between the two) and then you see that the it was just a mask or something like that and that you see a woman eye or part of her face? Well thats the true form of Wraith.]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I liked the series but it wasn't nearly as good as FMP because it just felt way too rushed and incomplete. Also there wasn't enough of the two things that made FMP a success to begin with mech battles and comedy. They also introduced a ton of new characters but they barely got any screen time or development. I'm very disappointed it didn't get the 26 episode treatment.
Magebane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there is going to be another season of FMP????
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote
No. No one knows. If there is going to be another one, though, expect an announcement within the next year or so. But there are no current plans. There usually won't be any plans for a sequel so soon after a series has finished.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that FMP is based on a novel series. They won't make more anime until more novels have been published and they have enough source material to work with.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
There's already plenty of material for another series. The question is whether they'll animate more and how soon.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Don't forget that FMP is based on a novel series. They won't make more anime until more novels have been published and they have enough source material to work with.

The next two novels are already out in print. Dancing Merry Christmas could itself be an OVA or movie (hopefully OVA so they can get more time to fit in all the material), and COntinuing on my own is long enough to be a 13 to 24 episode series.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:30 am Reply with quote
Around DVMC would probably be a good place to put in more side stories too since there's some more space there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3