• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looney Toons banner ad: Is the sound clip really necessary?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wao

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:54 am Reply with quote
If it counts for anything I also would like it if it went away. I don't use the mouse to move between tabs (I use keyboard shortcuts), but I have to use the mouse to switch between Direct Input and Hiragana modes in the Japanese IME. and the stupid thing keeps interrupting whatever song I'm listening to. There isn't a shortcut for going from Hiragana to Direct Input and back, is there.. (besides shift-key)
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Starwind Amada wrote:
God, how this banner annoys me. Why is ANN even advertising this? This is the only non-anime ad I've ever seen on this site. My professor screamed at me because the computer was at full volume and when I moved my cursor over the ad to click on the logo at the top, Bugs yells out his annoying catchphrase. You guys really need to remove this banner.

You should be studying at school Wink

What? Study? At school? In the middle of lecture? Laughing

You've gotta be kidding me Laughing. Studying is for doing homework and only the night before it's due....DUH Laughing Laughing

j.k.
SpikesGrrl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
my browser is crashing also here is the info on my computer
Windows XP Home Edition w/Service Pack 2
IE 6.0
Flash version 8.0.22.0

hope that helps
Mary
ulkesh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Not crashing my machine, but the Street Figher Alpha Generations advert for Best Buy is a bit processor hungry. My processor usage goes up to 30% or so when it appears; I see this with ads elsewhere, so it is a trend, but an annoying one.

Specs:
Athlon 64 3000+
Firefox 1.0.7
Flash 8 (just installed latest version)
Windows XP Pro Sp2
tooki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I love Looney Toons, but audio in ads, particularly this one, is very annoying. I was working on a project for my Japanese class the other day and I was looking up some information on who directed what on this site.....it seemed like almost every page would have it too......very, very annoying.
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Luckily it doesn't crash my browser, but I'll also vote for no sound. I rolled over it without knowing and it scared the crap out of me, since ANN never has sound. But yeah.. kind of annoying. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
redline

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
On my computer that particular ad doesn't crash the browser but the banner "space" looks like a 404 error inset.

All have latest version of Flash, IE 6.0 and Winxp SP2. I wanna say when I first installed SP2 I didn't have this problem (it occurs on alot of sites i visit) but when I tweaked some of the security features these errors started getting displayed.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:25 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Luckily it doesn't crash my browser, but I'll also vote for no sound. I rolled over it without knowing and it scared the crap out of me, since ANN never has sound. But yeah.. kind of annoying. ^^
I guess I the luckiest of them all. No crashs and no sound. Then again, I use AdBlock (FireFox, don't know IE.) on all roll over ads. I'm sorry, but I friggn' hate them. I don't know if it helps people with this issue, but it couldn't hurt to give a try.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:24 am Reply with quote
While my browser is not crashing, the page stops loading whenever that ad comes up; so basically I'm left with the ad and the ANN logo at the top and a blank page for the rest. I can reload the page and that'll take care of it, but it gets annoying. Oh yeah, I don't get the sound either, but that might be thanks to my ad blockers. Anyway here's the info you asked for:

Flash version: WIN 7,0,19,0
Browser: Internet Explorer ver. 6.0
Operating System: Windows XP Pro, Service pack 2
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
I was hoping there would be a thread about that annoying Bugs Bunny banner advertisement. I really hope you guys take that down, banner ads are bad enough. But when you incorporate sound with it, you really don't need that extra attention cause I just close the window when that happens. That's pretty much the only way to shut it up, besides turning off your speakers.
But why should I have to turn off my speakers just because there's this stuuuupid ad. Anyways, I'm done ranting.
Just pleeeease take away that ad Confused Rolling Eyes
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:16 am Reply with quote
Okay, based on what has been said here, we will not permit any more ads with sound on mouse-over. You will have to actually click on the ads to get them to make sound.

As for those people who have reporte crashing, what happens?

Does IE crash, does windows crash, do you get an error message ?

-t
barbapapa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:36 am Reply with quote
doesnt crash here
but it still annoys the hell outta me Neutral
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:37 am Reply with quote
My god, it happened again. I'm sitting here and the goddamn rabbit says his catchphrase again. Seriously, you guys need to get rid of this annoying ad that has nothing to do with anime.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
My god, it happened again. I'm sitting here and the goddamn rabbit says his catchphrase again. Seriously, you guys need to get rid of this annoying ad that has nothing to do with anime.

"Mute"

(though really, I only dislike the sound, the Ad itself is perfectly fine)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:

For the last time

1) I can't get rid of the banner, it meets the TOS included in their contract. Future contracts have a new TOS, you won't see ads with sound on mouseover again, but this one is staying till the contract runs out.

2) We permit non-anime advertising and have no reason to not permit it.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3