• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo, Nihon Ad Terminate Yu-Gi-Oh! Deal, Sue 4Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragnawind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Based on the info from the article, I would say 4kids should have to pay and/or close down. Also, from the info in the article, it seems that Funimation was only hired to distribute and pay their royalties to 4Kids. Then, it was 4kids' responsibility to pay the royalties from those earnings to the japanese companies. Based on this, Funimation is definitely still in good standing and not at risk of anything.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Funimation isn't stupid. If Funimation was aware** why 4Kids wanted to keep their deal secret (or unusually separate from other deals), then Funimation did something evil to the Japanese companies, and the Japanese companies have the right to kick their ass.

[** Aware does not mean completely know - only just have an idea about.]

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
MarzGurl wrote:
Speaking of the card game, how will the loss of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s anime effect it, you think? I realize, of course, that the card game is under license by Konami. But then, don't most players seem to get into it because of the TV series? Or does it have its own feet firmly planted enough? I mean, if the card game were called Dual Monsters (like it is in Japan) based on the actual card game in the series, maybe people wouldn't have so badly needed the TV series to cause the popularity of the card game.

I dunno, just curious, really.

The kids and neckbeards will still steal the cards from Shonen Jump and continue to sell the cards at inflated prices.
Pharaoh's Slavegirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think it's about time this happened. 4Kids butchered Yu-Gi-Oh! so bad.... I hope NAS and that get all their money - even though 4Kids is reporting major losses already.

I really can't see FUNimation conspiring with 4Kids though....
gapgapgap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
All the parties involved in this fraud (Funi included) are probably gonna have to go to court either way.

On the other hand, I wonder why Funi even made the top-secret deal with 4Kids in the first place because most, uh, smart lawyers would highly advise against such practices.

Last edited by gapgapgap on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
ragnawind wrote:
Based on the info from the article, I would say 4kids should have to pay and/or close down. Also, from the info in the article, it seems that Funimation was only hired to distribute and pay their royalties to 4Kids. Then, it was 4kids' responsibility to pay the royalties from those earnings to the japanese companies. Based on this, Funimation is definitely still in good standing and not at risk of anything.

That's exactly how I was looking at it.
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Lapis Lazuli Lolita wrote:
SaiyanHero16 wrote:
6Hokage wrote:
ahahaha, oh the irony.

I hope f***nimation and that other crap gonna get closed, oh how i wish.

What's your problem with FUNi? Confused

They dub anime and then have the gall to charge money for it!

I'm shocked! Damn those companies for spending $ on products then having the gall to charge us! Luxury should be for free!
jsyxx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
gapgapgap wrote:
All the parties involved in this fraud (Funi included) are probably gonna have to go to court either way.

On the other hand, I wonder why Funi even made the top-secret deal with 4Kids in the first place because most, uh, smart lawyers would highly advise against such practices.

Because it's BS and the Japanese licenser felt like lashing out at everyone I guess. If it was 4Kids job to funnel the money off to Japan, it's not Funi's fault if that didn't occurr. If there was any substance to this charge, they would be a party to the lawsuit. They're not, becuase they don't have any evidence.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
LilyChan wrote:
... Still though, sometimes I wonder how could FUNi not see what's going or, as someone said, did enough research to know that 4KIDS wasn't granted permission to do what they did behind the creators and their respective companies backs.
If the details are alleged by the Japanese plaintiffs are correct, it was 4kids prerogative to sublicense for a wide range of license income so long as it was under normal terms and the Japanese licensors got 50% of the gross.

There is no reason to expect Funimation to know 4Kids actual gross nor how much rights income they paid to the primary licensors.

Splitting up payments in different ways are sometime ways of fine tuning how risks and prospective returns are spread around, sometimes for different tax treatments. So there's no reason to assume that the specific instruments used to allegedly hide income were anything other than conventional terms for some of these kinds of deals. If they are conventional terms, there's no special reason for the deal to ring alarm bells with Funimation.

gapgapgap wrote:

Go way up earlier in the comment thread where someone who's actually seen content contracts passes on the information that its standard practice for them to include commercial-in-confidence clauses. Since the deals are normally "top secret", that also would be nothing to set off alarm bells.

Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
…the companies conducted an audit…
From my experience with auditing, it is rare for these words to precede anything other than woeful news. It could be said that the best way to pass an audit is to avoid participation.
"Company A was audited, but nothing turned up" is only news if everyone expected something to turn up.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Does this news mean that the episodes of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's that have not aired english dubbed (Episodes 99-155?), will never air english dubbed now?

(I actually prefer the 4Kids English Dub, despite the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes)
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
4kids is just doing what they do best and now they got caught. Bout time Japan did something.

I had no interest, as an anime fan back when they localized Yu-gi-oh here in the states. But man, I've had a hell of a fun time watching them take all these children's, parent's money.

I mean, shit, at least transformers was near the same brainwashing. To make people buy merchandise. But hell, at least we got a few crappy Hollywood movies out of it a bunch of years down the road. I don't see that happening with titles like Yu-gi-oh. 4kids pretty much used you and tossed you aside like a soiled rag.

Then again this seems a bit early for an April's fool joke too.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
(I actually prefer the 4Kids English Dub, despite the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes)

Please do not support methods that degrade the quality of media in any way, shape, or form. This includes censorship and cultural white-washing above all else.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

Please do not support methods that degrade the quality of media in any way, shape, or form. This includes censorship and cultural white-washing above all else.

Hey, many of us may be against the severe alterations placed on anime as it becomes localized in the US, but I don't think you can ask somebody to stop liking the version they've decided they like better. It's just a matter of preference, really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:01 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

I never said I actually liked the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes.

I would be watching the show subbed instead, if the 4Kids English Dub Voices were not awesome.
Pharaoh's Slavegirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:

I never said I actually liked the heavy edits, cuts, censoring, and script changes.

I would be watching the show subbed instead, if the 4Kids English Dub Voices were not awesome.

Totally true. The only issue I have with Subbed episodes is that it requires me to not only multi-task, but think a whole lot more - and when I'm watching anime, I really do prefer to not have to think. I enjoy being able to just watch and not worry about the words until later. BUT, having said that, I do not support 4Kids and their brutal editing methods of perfectly good Japanese programming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10