• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kin-iro Mosaic (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote

Kin-iro Mosaic (TV)
Hello! Kin-iro Mosaic (TV)
Genres: Comedy, School, Slice of Life

Plot:
myanimelist wrote:
The story begins with Oomiya Shinobu, a 15-year-old, seemingly pure Japanese girl who actually did a homestay in Great Britain. Even after coming back to Japan, she still misses her time overseas. One day, an airmail letter arrives from Alice, the girl in Shinobu's host family in Great Britain. The letter reads: Shinobu, I'm coming to Japan! The Japanese/British girls' mixed comedy follows the lives of Shinobu, Alice, and other girls from both Japan and Great Britain.

Episode 1

This was an incredibly sweet first episode, it was just one those ones that could have been small OVA, and still be entertaining. Basically Shinbobu did a homestay in England, despite "hello" being the only English word she knows, it would seem that she was fascinated by how foreign it was, like the fact spoiler[people had blonde hair. She chased after Alice over that fact]. While Alice herself only seemed to pick up very small Japanese words, which made conversation a little hard. Alice herself seemed to have an interest in Japan, and was shocked that Shinobu spoiler[did not know about something from her own culture]. Her parents do seem to be able to speak Japanese very well.

I think that I am going to like this series as I get the feeling that it is a great bridge between our Western culture, and the Japanese culture that I am interested in through anime. I especially liked the moment that Shinobu spoiler[entered the house without taking her shoes off, something that was very foreign to her own culture, and was then fascinated by the English styled house].

I also thought it funny that Shinobu was very open and quite unreserved, while Alice was very shy and reserved in way that felt like they were somewhat reversals of the expectations of their cultures. Alice is also surprisingly short which also makes the fact she is Caucasian of the same age as the taller Japanese girls kind of funny. I expect to hear Alice telling them what they should be like since they are Japanese.

"Hello!"
"Konnichiwa!"

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
The all girl cast, slice of life is so dominant in this season. Despite that I liked the first episode and I will continue watching this. The english was pretty good in anime standards.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
Yes, that was pretty adorable. This will probably be cute enough for me to keep watching.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
The English spoken in this anime is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Cute and the english was surprisingly good.

But seriously, the whole "western people wear their shoes inside the house" thing bugs me. I mean, we always take our shoes off here. It's just common sense. You don't want to track mud and stuff all over the house.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't always take mine off immediately. wonderfully adorable episode. this is a keeper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
First episode reminded me of Ikoku Meiro no Croisée, so I enjoyed it greatly. Will have to see how it keeps up.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cute and the english was surprisingly good.

But seriously, the whole "western people wear their shoes inside the house" thing bugs me. I mean, we always take our shoes off here. It's just common sense. You don't want to track mud and stuff all over the house.

Yeah blondie was wearing her boots while sitting on her bed. Talk about unhygienic. On that note, I always wondered how people let their pet dogs and cats on to their bed. Who knows what the animals have stepped on outside or touched. Now those germs are on their beds....
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
You've got an immune system, put it to good use! It's not like thunderstorms hospitalize us like they do they anime characters.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I care less about germs and more about "Arg, now I need to shampoo this carpet..."
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You've got an immune system, put it to good use! It's not like thunderstorms hospitalize us like they do they anime characters.

Nah you are not giving them enough credit. All they need is a light drizzle.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
Man, this show is ADORABLE and highly entertaining! I liked the humor in the culture differences (particularly the hair pins) and all of the characters are so cute! This is actually my favorite new show of everything I've seen so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
As a Brit, this show intrigues me. It's very cute so far, although they seem to think Britain is still stuck in the 1950's in some regards... Gonna keep watching this.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
So it seems the Cartelets(a real name, contrary to my initial impression) have already been identified as living in Bibury:

I found the English voice acting to be decent(especially for those characters clearly not voiced by native Anglophones), with the only unforgivable flaw being the implication that anybody would want to eat miles and miles of sand.

My biggest question regarding the series thus far is how long her English homestay lasted - it initially seemed to imply it lasted a while, but towards its end gave the impression of lasting only for a few days.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Shinobu in spoiler[England.]
Well, it certainly is a change of setting.
That kid is just totally spoiler[obsessed with the blonde kid.]
It's a nice, relaxed friendship story.
Just not my thing, will be skipping this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6