• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shiki on DVD, Blu-ray in Spring 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Feeling pretty happy about this (understatement). Looking forward to the blue-ray.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Hope this means there are more Noitamina releases on the way! Smile
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Now, if they'll announce something about House of Five Leaves...

They recently had a survey that included the majority of their streaming licenses [including 5 Leaves]- asking if we'd want dubs, dvd's, blurays, etc. I think it's a good enough sign that we'll be a getting a number of them.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be buying this one.
When can I pre-order? Very Happy
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Most underrated series of 2010. It was overshadowed because Summer 2010 was packed with horror series, but Shiki ended up a lot better than Occult Academy and Highschool of the Tits.

I think a dub could potentially help the series. The medical terminology and Biblical references were a bit jarring in Japanese.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Nice to get some confirmation but such a shame about the long wait.
FUNi need to take a leaf out of Sentai's book in terms of speedy releases.
The quicker you get them out there, the more hyped people are after the streams, meaning more sales.
Personally I will have lost interest in this series by next year so only way I'd pick it up would be with a budget release further down the line.
The series will be fully released in Japan by the end of June or July, so they can't blame the wait on that...
Reibooi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Hope this means there are more Noitamina releases on the way! Smile

I would bet there will be. There has been a lot of clamoring for them over on the Funi blog. Seems the ones people want most right now are Princess Jellyfish, Tatami Galaxy and Fractale.

I'm betting this year as a whole we will probably see Funi getting the full rights to alot of shows they just Simulcast last year. Perhaps that just my optimism but it seems likely.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I did a small double-take at the Spring 2012 date too. That probably means they are a little busy (with other new releases) until then. Definitely looking forward to more quality horror anime though.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Good to see they're planning on releasing this on DVD. Hopefully it includes the DVD/Blu-Ray exclusive episodes.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
2012... seriously? I've been eagerly waiting for this news for a while, but announcing something that won't be released in the next 12 months (at least) is ridiculous. Especially since they announced months ago that they acquired the rights. I suppose it just means that they are licensing much more than they can actually handle. I really can't wait to watch this show, it looks great, but man... a whole year. :\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Especially since they announced months ago that they acquired the rights.

That was only for streaming the episodes on their site. They just now got the rights to distribute the DVD/Blu-ray release for the USA/Canada. Streaming episodes and buying the rights to sell DVD/Blu-rays are two completely different licensing agreements.

If it were that easy then we'd be seeing more DVD/Blu-ray releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hopefully it includes the DVD/Blu-Ray exclusive episodes.

I thought the same thing when I saw this wonderful news. Way to go Funi!!!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Something to understand is that Shiki isn't finished releasing in Japan until June from what I can tell. So waiting 6-12 months after the run is finished in Japan is pretty much standard protocol for BD releases, unless you want to pay a lot of money a la Gundam Unicorn.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
fireaxe wrote:
Especially since they announced months ago that they acquired the rights.

That was only for streaming the episodes on their site. They just now got the rights to distribute the DVD/Blu-ray release for the USA/Canada. Streaming episodes and buying the rights to sell DVD/Blu-rays are two completely different licensing agreements.

If it were that easy then we'd be seeing more DVD/Blu-ray releases.

Yeah okay sure, but the fact that it was just licensed for a BD/DVD release isn't the issue here. At least not for me. Announcing a new release a year in advance sounds like the best way NOT to make use of the fact that this show currently has a very good vibe in the fandom.

But yeah, at least it's licensed now...

EDIT: Megiddo just brought the explanation I was waiting for (though in this case, we're talking at least 15 months...). But does that mean that they won't be released in half-a-season boxsets? I'm assuming that at least the first half was released in Japan by now, but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited by fireaxe on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I'll be able to subject my boyfriend to the anime (I already told him all about it since I watched it on Funimation's site, but I still want him to -see- it and he hates streaming).

I hope it won't be too expensive... Anime dazed have to agree that's an awful long time to wait though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5