• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory Licenses Last Unicorn for Home Video, Digital

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 am Reply with quote
Based Shout Factory.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
Shout! Factory: Ha! No subtitles for you, Deaf Community!

Still hate Shout! Factory to this day...
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

Just pick up the Lionsgate release. It's still available in a lot of places and might have subs, or watch on a tv with closed captions.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

Some of their releases have subtitles or closed captions (like their Power Rangers DVDs). I know some of their Scream Factory horror DVDs and Blu-rays do.

We get it. You hate Shout Factory for often not having subtitles. While that's certainly a valid complaint, you really don't have to complain on EVERY thread to an article that mentions them.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote
The hell? Last Unicorn isn't an anime. -_- It's an American animation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

May have been produced by the horrifying claymation Christmas movie makers, but the animation was by Topcraft. All dem Japanese names in the opening credit sequence, it's much closer to be related than the Sunrise work on the WB cartoons in the 90s.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo If TLU is anime, so are set episodes of Ducktales, Batman TAS, Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, since TMS, aka the studio that produced Akira and Conan, did animation for certain episodes of said shows. If animation services=country of origin, then I guess Gundam 00 is from China, huh? It would also mean that other episodes of Ducktales are Taiwanese in origin, as well.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:32 am; edited 2 times in total
TrueSkin1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:

I've been lurking these forum boards for quite awhile and everytime theres an article of a Shout Factory acquisition you remind us about the Deaf community.

Now i'm not saying Shout Factory should ignore this type of crowd but you seem to rant on about them a lot for it. How about you Email them personally and tell them how you feel about the issues you have with them. Reach out in a more direct way.

Or you know you can come here and keep mentioning the same thing that would otherwise fall on deaf ears, no pun intended.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

Just pick up the Lionsgate release. It's still available in a lot of places and might have subs, or watch on a tv with closed captions.

I just got the Lionsgate BD/DVD combo the other day. It has English and Spanish subtitles, English SDH on the BD and closed captioning for the DVD.
I sort of find it odd Shout picked up The Last Unicorn since the last release isn't very old. But, I guess it could be streamed now since I haven't seen it available digitally anywhere.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:

cartoon = animation = anime. It's all the same thing. anime is just a word short for animation. Get your facts straight. Heck, even the Japanese themselves call all animation anime.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

cartoon = animation = anime. It's all the same thing. anime is just a word short for animation. Get your facts straight. Heck, even the Japanese themselves call all animation anime.

I know that, duh, however this a site dedicated towards Japanese anime. And considering the fact that it is not Japanese, why the hell is it here? Because it was animated by a Japanese studio? So, that means Spiderman 1994, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, The New Batman Adventures, Superman: The Animated Series and the Tigger Movie are Japanese, right? Yeah right. Those are all American. Outside of direct to videos and feature lengths, Americans almost never animate their shows in America, due to the fact that animators are paid quite a lot here and you can get quality animation from South Korea or Taiwan for a fraction of the cost you can in America. So my point still stands. You'd have a point, if this was focusing on "American anime" but this is a site focusing on Japanese anime.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

May have been produced by the horrifying claymation Christmas movie makers, but the animation was by Topcraft. All dem Japanese names in the opening credit sequence, it's much closer to be related than the Sunrise work on the WB cartoons in the 90s.

Plus it's not a whole lot different from ANN running articles on Monsuno, which technically isn't anime (but animated in Japan), or Power Rangers, which IS based on a Japanese show, but a Japanese LIVE-ACTION show.

(Though what's wrong with Rudolph? O.o)
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Redlinks wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

I know that, duh, however this a site dedicated towards Japanese anime. And considering the fact that it is not Japanese, why the hell is it here? Because it was animated by a Japanese studio? So, that means Spiderman 1994, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, The New Batman Adventures, Superman: The Animated Series and the Tigger Movie are Japanese, right? Yeah right. Those are all American. Outside of direct to videos and feature lengths, Americans almost never animate their shows in America, due to the fact that animators are paid quite a lot here and you can get quality animation from South Korea or Taiwan for a fraction of the cost you can in America. So my point still stands. You'd have a point, if this was focusing on "American anime" but this is a site focusing on Japanese anime.

Its not the same. All those shows (along with pretty much every animated show in existance) had parts outsourced to foreign companies for production. But they weren't animated in full by these foreign companies. At the very least, key animation was likely done in-house on American soil with in-between animation being outsourced.

However, The Last Unicorn as far as I can tell, was animated in its entirety in Japan. No animation work whatsoever was done in America. Thats why, in the most basic sense of the term, TLU leans more towards being Japanese animation than American animation.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
@PurpleWarrior Monsuno at least seems to have some of its production done in Japan, as well as developing and direction. Last Unicorn's Japanese involvement is solely animation. The producers/directors were American, the screenplay writer and story developer was none other than Peter S. Beagle, the creator of the original book, who was American.

What ANN considers anime, when American involvement is around is so dubious at best. On the one hand, Thundercats 2011 is considered "anime" without the "US" bracket even though the only thing the Japanese did was some of the animation and direction. Americans did everything else, as well as some of the opening animation and writing. Street Fighter 1995, even though it was produced, executive produced and directed by Madhouse, has the "US" bracket, even though the SF cartoon is "more anime" than the Thundercats 2011 series. Mega Man 1994 also has heavy Japanese involvement, yet has the "US" bracket.

@double07 Not quite. Batman TAS was animated almost entirely by non-Americans. Americans involved only checked/supervised the animation, as well as some ink and paint. Americans handle art and visuals, while Japanese/others handle the animation services. Yes, you're right in the sense shows like Simpsons and Spongebob have animation done in both Seoul and California, but for WB/Disney shows of the 80-90s, animation was outsourced overseas. Also, loads of JP films have their animation done in Taiwan. Shoud we call those films, "動畫電影" or "Dònghuà diànyǐng" instead of anime? No, we shouldn't, because they're not "Dònghuà diànyǐng" rather they're anime. Also, ANN has made mistakes before. It said Princess Mononoke was the most expensive anime, breaking Akira's budget, when that title belongs to Little Nemo from 9 years earlier.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
What ANN considers anime, when American involvement is around is so dubious at best. On the one hand, Thundercats 2011 is considered "anime" without the "US" bracket even though the only thing the Japanese did was some of the animation and direction. Americans did everything else, as well as some of the opening animation and writing. Street Fighter 1995, even though it was produced, executive produced and directed by Madhouse, has the "US" bracket, even though the SF cartoon is "more anime" than the Thundercats 2011 series. Mega Man 1994 also has heavy Japanese involvement, yet has the "US" bracket.

You do realise that The Last Unicorn isn't even in the Encyclopedia? The news team presumably considered it relevant/of interest to their readers based on the people involved, hence detailing that IN THE ARTICLE.
From the evidence you provide we as an encyclopedia we appear to err on the side of caution with the exception of the new Thundercats. Are you complaining that Thundercats 2011 should be quarantined or that the other named titles shouldn't? Either way, it is something to take up in the encyclopedia forum.
PS: the credits are ambiguous as to whether the "main title" Matthew Girardi animated refers to the whole opening credits or just the title logo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2