• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watamote (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote

Watamoe/Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui!
Genres: comedy, slice of life

Plot:
Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl who has had 50 years of dating experience and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15-year-old shut in who has all of the qualities of a "mojo" (a gloomy or unpopular woman).

However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

Episode 1
Oh God that was funny. I mean, the OP song...
spoiler[Moe + Metal = Moetal.]

Finallyyyyyyyyyy. I just love Tomoko from the manga. Thank God this is a full airing series rather than some short.

Her room is so simple~
I also think her VA did a nice job portraying her character. spoiler[She looks cute in pigtails and glasses imo. She's sooo nervous most of the time lol. *wants hamburger*. ]

Anyways, loved the first episode. This was amusing. Tomoko ftw. ED song was brilliant as well with the voice acting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
Ever since I had seen the artwork and a display of her character, I had wanted to see this series, kind of how I thought about Nyaruko-san.

Episode 1

I am trying not to get my enthusiasm cloud my judgement too much, but I found this quite entertaining. She is practically like a female version of Hikigaya Hachiman, maybe if he fused Konata Izumi.

I simply find her hilarious in that she was pretty delusional despite everything, maybe says something as I somewhat sympathise with her. *looks in mirror* Oh god, dark lines under my eyes, messy hair, the delusion that my social life is good having issues holding eye contact talking to people other than family. She is practically a female me, I have even done a thing lately with having my hair over an eye, although I guess I still have height.

Looks like she expected to get the attention of a host club, and I had no idea they had games like that for girls, have to say I appreciate her freezing up in front of people, gives a more interesting voice. Like the ED being sung off key. Oh and her brother's voice is done by Yūichi Nakamura, currently most recognisable to me from his role of Kyōsuke Kōsaka, making his part here somewhat ironic.

I already put it under "watched some", so I plan on finishing this.
sleepie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:27 am Reply with quote
I love how her brother seems like a real brother. Or at least he seems like most brothers I know. He gets annoyed at her a lot and he acts mean to her but at the end of the day she's still his sis. The ending was kinda bittersweet. I hope this doesn't ever go the Oreimo route. That would really just ruin it for me. So far in the manga it hasn't.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 am Reply with quote
ep.1

spoiler[tomoko is female who ready for high school give having lots experience due to playing lots high school dating game but reality kick in nobody notice her in any way.

cause she see those high school students are just blah to her so after go look in the mirror in her style she puke due looking like the Walking Dead so after i-net search for ways to be cute.

tomoko tried show her "cute" side to her brother but it was a brain bleach right now & then go ask her brother for advice & ideas so she get notice in school.

so next day she slowly talk to other peoples yet seem working well even trying to normal high school doing til arrive at wcdonald til still high school students go do makeover look got bit mention.

til her brother appear go like seriously that look cause her brother's classmate called her stink cue crash & burn til brother arrive there always next time. ]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
That was a fun episode. I had mixed emotions about her. Half the times I was laughing at her excuses and attempts to be popular. I can't believe they used duck face in an anime. On that note, why do real life girls think duck face makes them look cute, when it makes them look stupid. Then the other times I pitied her for struggling to say a simple bye to her teacher.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
So funny lol I was not expecting that to be the opening song, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it. They pulled off a full episode pretty nicely, considering that the manga chapters they used weren't very related at all. Can't wait to see Tomoko insult more people! Her cuteness and harsh attitude just mix so well. Liked her voice too.

I wouldn't be surprised if the creator put the duck face there on purpose as a way of telling girls to STOP DOING THAT! It ain't cute
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I was really feeling sorry for that poor girl.
She sure had a lot of resentment...
It was sad watching her detached life.
Seriously, this is just too depressing.
Think I'm gonna skip this one.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[Death Note] parody was DAMN hilarious. Anime hyper

.......that's what they were doing, right?

Yes, duck faces are FUGLY. Honestly, Tomoko would look cute with the pigtails if she could get rid of the circles under her eyes.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
My god talk about dysfunctional. It seems that this Kuroki character is designed to make even the most pathetic viewer imaginable feel better about herself just from the comparison. The poor thing feels like she has accomplished something on par with scaling Mt. Everest just for getting a stuttered word out now and then.

The thing is there are real people like that. I have seen them.

This looks like one of the most interesting characters of the season. I'm going to watch even though we all know where this is going -- she's going to be kawaii by the end of the season somehow.

Random thought: Kuroki from this anime and Nakamura from Flowers of Evil really ought to get together. They would have a field day discussing what they think of everyone else.

Another random thought: Kuroki should also be a feature in the "why are anime girls so beautiful?" thread. Answer: um, not always.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote
Lol true, Tomoko's not beautiful...but I do think she can be cute.
Yes, there's a difference. She is the Lucky Star type of "cute".
Konata's emo twin sister.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Or kind of like this comic I saw that created an alternate version of Lucky Star that is quite sad. Link. Watch if you want to feel depressed.

Personally I think Kuroki Tomoko is cute, we all look a little scary at times, I was awkward all through high school, so I find it cute. I can even sympathise with how she sees herself, and wondering what is wrong with everyone else. As I might have mentioned before I grabbed onto the character design, and I think that I actually enjoy hers more than some stereotypical anime beauty.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
As I said in the anime preview thread, this one scares me a little. I'm a little afraid we are going to be treated to an unending series of disappointments/humiliations for Tomoko and I am very invested in seeing her get some happiness. I'll be half-watching/half-cringing through this one. And yes, Izumi Kitta is doing an absolutely amazing job with the Tomoko role.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
The spoiler[Death Note] parody was DAMN hilarious. Anime hyper

.......that's what they were doing, right?

That's what I instantly thought of too. One of the funniest moments of the episodes. Overall I enjoyed this episode, but I do have similar concerns that Blood- has. I don't really want it to be a never ending humiliation fest for poor Tomoko. Eh, as long as they keep the humor I'll be satisfied. This show seems very promising.

Favorite moment was the spoiler["I'm coming sooooooon!" line from her game]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This one had me cracking up the whole time, I am totally rooting for Tomoko! I used to have crippling social anxiety, but this doesn't "hit too close to home" or whatever that some people have been cautioning about. There are some truth nuggets, but I feel this series largely exaggerates the problem. Some originality is appreciated as well, this is a far cry from the standard cardboard cut-outs that we're used to seeing in anime these days. Looking forward to more!
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode and I'm looking forward to the second.

I find Tomoko's delusions of her self image and social interactions hilarious, I'm guessing that most of us can personally link these to a similar situation, even if not to the extremes as Tomoko's. I like the fact that she seems to be very positive towards the achievability of her goals - even though we know she will fail miserably we still hope for the best. I look forward to seeing how she starts to interact with some of her class mates especially with the 4 she passes a couple of times after school.

I am interested to see where the story goes and to see if the premise of the show can continue to this level throughout the rest of the series, without becoming mundane.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 23