• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Watamote (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacal II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rule out therapy on cultural grounds. In Japan you don't send your kid for therapy unless they do something that risks being widely talking about among people that matter in society. It's just a different way to look at it. I know where I live people are the opposite. If their kid shows even the slightest problem, pump them full of drugs and send them to a shrink. IMO both options are very socially destructive but meh, this ain't the topic for that.
It's kind of sad, but I guess it doesn't suprise me. Obviously, I didn't mean druging the child, but sometimes it might just be helpfull to talk with a qualified psychotherapist. But you're right, this is not the topic.

Quote:
On that note I wouldn't say Tomoko's actions at home are really enough to make her folks suspicious that there's a problem. She just seems like a brat. She doesn't clam up one bit when talking to her family. I'm sure there's plenty of users on this site who are barely passing school and their parents shake their heads when they see them eyeing a Kanokon poster at a store with full intent to buy it.
I'm sure they would've realised something is wrong. For example, the sole fact that she never seems to leave home except for school, that easily implies that she doesn't have any friends.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On that note I wouldn't say Tomoko's actions at home are really enough to make her folks suspicious that there's a problem. She just seems like a brat. She doesn't clam up one bit when talking to her family.

Anyone that was already "close" to Tomoko thinks she is a relatively normal person, if kind of a bitchy personality at times when she speaks her mind.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
Rule out therapy on cultural grounds. In Japan you don't send your kid for therapy unless ...

It isn't just Japan that's like that but I agree with the overall point. Many parents in the U.S. would consider it low class and shameful if their kids were sent to therapy even though the social stigma for it has been almost completely eroded.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Anyone that was already "close" to Tomoko thinks she is a relatively normal person, if kind of a bitchy personality at times when she speaks her mind.

And it doesn't help that Tomoko can actually act like a normal girl around her parents and brother. It is only when she is out of their view that she goes whack. It is hard to blame them for not knowing.

Note her little brother mostly has the impression that she is just "stupid." That is actually a pretty realistic response from his point of view.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I never expected that I would feel so sad for the protagonist. I didn't even feel so bad for Satou from Welcome to the NHK. But even that guy had some friends, or at least people trying to help him. I also think that either NHK balanced drama and comedy better, or it's just that I find the humor in Watamote less funny. So while I started watching it because I wanted something funny and relaxing instead I'm constantly thinking about how horrible it is that so many children are neglected by their parents and teachers while they suffer from problems like that. Good this show is so short or I'd fall into depression Razz.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the parents realized how bad she has it. The mom must think she is just a shy girl who likes staying at home. The brother might realize she might have problems, but he thinks she is just stupid.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote
Dang it, did anyone else here feel a tear come up to his eye at the end of episode 11?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
And it's even more comforting to note that things like therapy and mental health are ill regarded in Japan! So yeah, she's doomed.
Pacal II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
Does she finally get a bit better in the manga?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
Pacal II wrote:
spoiler[She doesn't really change, but at the same time she doesn't get worst (so far)]
Treeborn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Pacal II wrote:
spoiler[She doesn't really change, but at the same time she doesn't get worst (so far)]

Well, it's hard to say

spoiler[She makes 1 more friend(?). So, that is an improvement

but

She makes an enemy. She went from unnoticed, to actually hated. On top of that, her bratty attitude begins to surface more. So....

I would say she gets worse]
Pacal II

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
That's just so great to hear. I guess I'll just go watch Clannad or Elfen Lied to boost up my humor a bit.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
Pacal II wrote:

Well, it's hard to say

spoiler[She makes 1 more friend(?). So, that is an improvement

but

She makes an enemy. She went from unnoticed, to actually hated. On top of that, her bratty attitude begins to surface more. So....

I would say she gets worse]

spoiler[But the thing of it is though the "making an enemy" bit is effectively Tomoko's fault, said girl pretty much gave Tomoko several chances to smooth it over, and pretty much WANTED to be friends with Tomoko, but Tomoko instinctively antagonized the girl until she wanted to despise Tomoko in return.]
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
^^ Yea, I know. That's why I said Tomoko spoiler[gets worse. Her attitude becomes more annoying.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Well, if you can't make friends, enemies are better than nothing. At least they care enough to find out more about you, if only to bring about your demise.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
^^ Yea, I know. That's why I said Tomoko spoiler[gets worse. Her attitude becomes more annoying.]

spoiler[Her attitude is the same, the only difference is that she becomes open about it to a select few, Tomoko's mindset has ALWAYS been toxic.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 23