• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

(1) The person said "shounen," which is not "seinen," since the latter is aimed at people over 18 and the former is not.
(2) You then include two shoujo titles on your list...
(3) ...because His and Her Circumstances is shoujo, too.
(4) I don't get this list at all. What is your point? That anime from various demographics have featured sex scenes?

I think you just answered your own question. Wink
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:41 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
A lot of shounen/seinen series contain sex scenes though. (Or at least the ones that I have seen).

For example, off the top of my head:

Berserk
Evangelion
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Tenchi Muyo
His and Her Circumstances
Fushigi Yuugi (Shoujo)
Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal
Fair enough, but I was thinking more like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc. Actually, I'm not sure I consider of the above titles to be shounen. I thought pretty much anything based on an erogame (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien) would be seinen. And though it may have started out as "shounen," Berserk wouldn't really fit in that category by today's standards. Rurouni Kenshin TV is shounen for sure, but I always considered the OVAs more seinen. And Tenchi Muyo I admittedly know nothing about. (There's actually sex in the TV show? I thought the whole point of a harem show is to not hook up and keep the audience strung along). Well, this is neither here nor there really. My point was just that sex scenes in every other episode (if it follows Junjou's lead) may be considered by some to be slightly up a notch from a pantyshot, though it's all fanservice to someone.

(P.S. Also, I had no clue that there are sex scenes in Fushigi Yugi & Kare Kano! Like, are they on the same level as those in Junjou? It seems like that would be really pushing the envelope for shoujo, right into josei territory...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Fair enough, but I was thinking more like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc. Actually, I'm not sure I consider of the above titles to be shounen. I thought pretty much anything based on an erogame (Kimi ga Nozomu Eien) would be seinen. And though it may have started out as "shounen," Berserk wouldn't really fit in that category by today's standards. Rurouni Kenshin TV is shounen for sure, but I always considered the OVAs more seinen. And Tenchi Muyo I admittedly know nothing about. (There's actually sex in the TV show? I thought the whole point of a harem show is to not hook up and keep the audience strung along). Well, this is neither here nor there really. My point was just that sex scenes in every other episode (if it follows Junjou's lead) may be considered by some to be slightly up a notch from a pantyshot, though it's all fanservice to someone.

(P.S. Also, I had no clue that there are sex scenes in Fushigi Yugi & Kare Kano! Like, are they on the same level as those in Junjou? It seems like that would be really pushing the envelope for shojo, right into josei...)

Yeah you have a point. I guess the series that I mentioned aren't exactly 100% shounen either so I should apologize for the mistake. Also, I agree with you that Junjou is actually a slight level up from many anime series. (In terms of sexual content)

There were actually more than one sex scenes in Fushigi Yuugi. One between the main couple and one one between the king and a teen he bought. But it's been a while since I have watched it and I can't tell if it was from the manga or anime. As for Tenchi Muyo, I'm pretty sure there was a sex scene in the final season. (I think it was Tenchi in Tokyo). And for Kare Kano, there was one sex scene in the TV series and if I remember correctly, the two couple were naked in bed.

But I think if people can stomach "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" and "Evangelion", then they can do the same for "Sekai".

It will be interesting to see how Studio Deen will handle "Sekai" compared to "Junjou" though.

BTW, did you know that Amazon Japan considers Sekaiichi Hatsukoi a SHOUJO? It's currently ranked #1 on the shoujo ranking.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/books/467240/ref=pd_ts_b_nav

I thought that was interesting.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Sekaiichi Hatsukoi is a manga created by the same woman who did Junjou Romantica. Sekaiichi Hatsukoi is likely to be done the same way that series was with the sex scenes toned down significantly. Still if you're not into romance between two men you might not want to watch this. I just watched the OVA and the series looks good! I'm happy that crunchyroll is doing this. Can't wait!
Very Happy
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
But I think if people can stomach "Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" and "Evangelion", then they can do the same for "Sekai".
I don't disagree with you here, but I'm not sure it's the level of explicitness that will determine if someone watches but instead the type (MxM). If someone's not into BL they'll probably skip it and I don't really blame them-- while I liked Junjou for sure, I don't consider it a masterpiece or a "must-see" for someone not interested in the genre. I'm expecting the same from this title.
Quote:
BTW, did you know that Amazon Japan considers Sekaiichi Hatsukoi a SHOUJO? It's currently ranked #1 on the shoujo ranking.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/books/467240/ref=pd_ts_b_nav

I thought that was interesting.
Really? Is it not as explicit as Junjou? (I haven't read the manga yet, as I'm waiting for Blu's English release.) I thought BL, except maaaybe the most innocent, "kissing-only" titles, was considered a subcategory of josei. Maybe Amazon.jp doesn't break the demographics down that far? I'm grasping at straws because it sounds to me like Sekaiichi's content wouldn't be appropriate for younger readers. Weird.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AyumiHamasaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
I don't disagree with you here, but I'm not sure it's the level of explicitness that will determine if someone watches but instead the type (MxM). If someone's not into BL they'll probably skip it and I don't really blame them-- while I liked Junjou for sure, I don't consider it a masterpiece or a "must-see" for someone not interested in the genre. I'm expecting the same from this title.

But well, I think if someone is against gay relationships, they wouldn't even be considering watching this. So I guess I'm saying that people who are open minded enough to want to TRY giving this show a chance shouldn't be put off by the sexual content as I personally think it wouldn't be very explicit.

I assume the people I'm trying to persuade to watch the show are women (straight and lesbians), gay men, even straight men who are open minded about gay love stories. Razz

I personally like Junjou but in my opinion, "Sekai" is a lot better because it's more realistic, funny, and has a great storyline.

poonk wrote:
Really? Is it not as explicit as Junjou? (I haven't read the manga yet, as I'm waiting for Blu's English release.) I thought BL, except maaaybe the most innocent, "kissing-only" titles, was considered a subcategory of josei. Maybe Amazon.jp doesn't break the demographics down that far? I'm grasping at straws because it sounds to me like Sekaiichi's content wouldn't be appropriate for younger readers. Weird.

Actually, I would consider "Sekai" the same level as "Junjou" in terms of sexual content (in the manga version). So like I said, I'm kind of surprised "Sekai" is considered a Shoujo in Japan. "Sekai" is also ranked #1 on the BL section though. So maybe it's more like "BL/Shoujo"? In other news, I'm surprised Amazon Japan doesn't have a Josei section, yuri or Smut section considering they have BL. They have Shounen, Shoujo, BL, Anime sections. That makes it seem like BL is practically mainstream (in terms of sales). Smile Smile
jyuichi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
AyumiHamasaki wrote:
In other news, I'm surprised Amazon Japan doesn't have a Josei section, yuri or Smut section considering they have BL. They have Shounen, Shoujo, BL, Anime sections. That makes it seem like BL is practically mainstream (in terms of sales). Smile Smile

Amazon JP isn't mainstream like Amazon.com is though. Its always dominated by niche/otaku stuff.

Really excited for this series Very Happy
Nunzia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
CR should put in their registration form:
"You're from Italy? Don't bother to register, you won't be able to watch any of the new anime anyway"

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2