• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Launches Next Bakuman Book Digitally Before Print

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Finally, this is what I've been waiting for. Actually, not even this. Simultaneous releases of digital manga is what I've wanted from Viz ever since they launched their iPad app. If they can do more simultaneous or near-simultaneous releases, I'll be buying a heck of a lot of e-manga them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think it's stupid that the App isn't available in the UK even though all their manga are licensed for UK release and have UK prices on them too (then again, they never get simultaneously released in the UK alongside the US releases PLUS most people who buy their manga here always buy the imported versions as soon as they come out, myself included)
ZeroDemio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:19 am Reply with quote
Sweet, I just got that first volume of Bakuman for free.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:32 am Reply with quote
I almost bought this at borders but bought a walking dead volume instead so nice to get this for free since it look really good when I read what it was about. I have a question about the manga app though. If I buy another ipad will all the manga transfer over? Does it work like the ibooks or kindle app does?
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:03 am Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
Personally, I think it's stupid that the App isn't available in the UK even though all their manga are licensed for UK release and have UK prices on them too (then again, they never get simultaneously released in the UK alongside the US releases PLUS most people who buy their manga here always buy the imported versions as soon as they come out, myself included)

Yeah, I live in Australia and the Aussie edition (which is exactly the same as the US one) gets released like 3 months after the American release date. So I usually import the US version as well since they're practically the same thing. Cheaper too.

I don't think there's much chance of simultaneous-with-Japan releases if publishers can't even get world-wide English simultaneous releases going.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
I almost bought this at borders but bought a walking dead volume instead so nice to get this for free since it look really good when I read what it was about. I have a question about the manga app though. If I buy another ipad will all the manga transfer over? Does it work like the ibooks or kindle app does?

Apple claims that the backup that's made every time your iPad is synced can be used to transfer data to a different device, though you may want to manually create a separate backup to do that from (instructions at the same page listed above). I'll probably be trying this out in the next few days, and I'll try to remember to follow up on how well it works.

Edit: restoring from a backup of the previous iPad works, bringing over all the manga I bought.
danielericiverson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
And now volume 4 is coming so soon? They're releasing it two months apart instead of three months!

It's funny because this is the only manga series I've actually bought volumes of, I've checked out One Piece-type books at libraries. The only time I've bothered to purchase a manga (and not an anime or videogame), and it's ABOUT manga. Hard to explain to people what manga is with that as an example. But I find it inspiring and it encourages me to get down to actually writing stories myself, and practicing learning languages, and other stuff that requires hard work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1