• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: INTERSTELLA 5555

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote
I have to admit, this was a GRRRREAT DVD! Anime hyper I remember when this little mini-series was supposed to air on some cable network years ago. I never had the chance of seeing it until I caught an episode of it on a site for game music tunes. It was talked about quite a bit. When it finally got released I recommended it for our library's collection. Since it's Leiji Matsumoto' how could you not, his work is legendary. I finally had the chance of watching the entire DVD and I instantly fell in love with it. I had to get it for myself. The artwork is clean and definitely "Leiji". While I'm not familiar with 'Daft Punk', I am now. And I have to admit their style of music is either 1) I'll never forget and 2) one of an acquired taste.

The one scene where the evil music mogel attends the record awards ceremony. The song playing doesn't contain much in lyrics, just saying the word "vogue" over and over again. If I'm wrong then that's what it sounded like to me. To some this song probably came off sounding like a "broken record". And that's when I came up with the line,

"Daft Punk, they can make a broken record sound good."

The cool thing was that during the award ceremonies when they announced the winners for best record album, they cut away to a scene with 'Daft Punk' in the audience. As they root for the winners. After all they did do the whole soundtrack for the movie. It was pretty funny.

A very straight forward story without the use of any dialogue.

But definitely a great DVD to have, you won't be disappointed. If you like 'Leiji' and are a fan of his work and haven't owned anything new by him for awhile then this is worth getting. Wink
Monumension

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to see this for ages. I love both Daft Punk and anime so this one should be pure bliss for me. Now if I only could get a copy...
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I have the Daft Punk "Discovery" CD (of which INTERSTELLA 5555 is based on and happens to be one of my favorite CDs Very Happy ) and I plan on purchasing this DVD just for the sure uniqueness of the anime. Anime Insider actually listed this DVD as one of the 50 anime DVDs you must own - I forgot what issue it was in; I'm going to have to check when I get home from work today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1