• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 5.0 Beta

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
We need to hear your feedback about the new design — that's what this beta is for!

It helps us when, in addition to what you don't like, you also tell us what you would prefer. If you just say "I don't like it this way" it doesn't really give us a hint on how to fix it. But if you say "I'd prefer it that way", it does.

Also tell us what you like; that way there's fewer chances we'll change or remove when someone else tells us they don't like it.

Last edited by Dan42 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I really like the new navigation bar, especially the direct links to the forums and the different search boxes for the encyclopedia. The search boxes especially will be very convenient.

Will the My Anime database be linked to My Anime 2 when it goes active?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
what a huge improvement! I love the navigation bar at top with the quick links to the news and PR feed. Reminds me a little bit like twitter, but that is not a bad thing at all. Much more accessible and easier to quickly find the news of the day.

I really love the visual aspect of it over all. The whole page just pops out at you and over all just much more appealing to look at. I also really like the customization the user has with the main page.

I am not a big fan of how the forums look though. Huge blank white borders on both sides of the page and over all the forums just look smaller and do not look good scaled on a large monitor. Though they do look much better on a mobile device and ipad, so that is a plus. Speaking of mobile devices the main page looks so much better on a iphone now then it used to, and much more user friendly.

Over all the site is easier to use and much easier to navigate and find things on the site. If I find any bugs or issues with the beta I will post them here.

Edit:
I may have found a bug with the main page using Google Chrome on the iphone. When I browse the site and switch from horizontal view to vertical or vice versa they stay in the previous state it was in and do not scale properly when the device from one position to the next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
I am not a big fan of how the forums look though. Huge blank white borders on both sides of the page and over all the forums just look smaller and do not look good scaled on a large monitor.

I swear I didn't tell him to say that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Forums are awful with that supermassive sidebar. I like using ANN because you had the web 1.0 design, simple and straightforward. If it's going to eventually be forced on us regardless of opinion or feedback here (like I've seen with every other site in existence that is determined to change), it's going to be much more annoying to comment back. I find the front page to be annoying to navigate when there's giant blocks that you can have dig through. May just be me, but the it just comes off as less professional.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo Proposed solution: add an option in the settings page to disable the sidebar.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
I would love to have the option of getting rid of the sidebar. I'm clinging to the old design as long as I can simply because of it.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
The blocks all seem a little big. There are only 3 across on my screen right now, and there could easily be 4-5. Also I feel like reviews should be separate from columns. It's a nice design, but it doesn't have to be so big that it looks like it was designed for senior citizens using iPads. Maybe reviews could have their own bar at the top?

And the giant sidebar for the forum is annoying.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 am Reply with quote
Wholeheartedly agreed about the sidebar being too large. It's so obnoxious in how much of the screen it uses up I doubt it will grow on me or that I'll get used to it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
With regard to the forums, I have to agree with both the complaints about the side bar and the excessive white areas.

In addition to being excessively large, the side bar is essentially useless to me. By the time I get to the forums I've already looked at the everything I want on the front page including the side bar. If I want to review any column or article I can do that from within the thread.

The white space on either side of the forum makes no sense at all. It compresses the forum which just means we have to scroll excessively. It would be interesting to know what purpose it serves at your end.
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I believe the idea is that there's only so wide some things need to be. A defensible philosophy, but I'm fairly certain that those of us with widescreen monitors have long adjusted to things being far more spread out than that and are perfectly capable of reducing the space used ourselves if need be.

If you still want the limit, I'd suggest make it changeable by the user - this is also helpful for people who set their font sizes differently from what you anticipate(I can't stand it when I have to screw around with the text size to see everything because the developer didn't account for this).
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
The blocks all seem a little big. There are only 3 across on my screen right now, and there could easily be 4-5. Also I feel like reviews should be separate from columns. It's a nice design, but it doesn't have to be so big that it looks like it was designed for senior citizens using iPads. Maybe reviews could have their own bar at the top?

And the giant sidebar for the forum is annoying.

You can change it easily to be more text based or to look like a list. The right hand side gives you different visual types that may be more appealing to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of good improvements here, the site looks very slick and modern and I like the new top bar that allows you to easily filter the news section.

My only complaint is that I like the images, but they make the front page look a little cluttered; I'd love a layout option that retains the images for the side panel stuff (reviews and columns) but switches to a list view for the new, similar to what it looks like now.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I too don't like the sidebar. It's distracting, particulary when reading a long comment. I do like the main page in thumbnail view. Interesting news catch my interest easier this way without me having to scroll through a bunch of text. Also it's very easy to switch between different news types.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
There's a lot of good improvements here, the site looks very slick and modern and I like the new top bar that allows you to easily filter the news section.

My only complaint is that I like the images, but they make the front page look a little cluttered; I'd love a layout option that retains the images for the side panel stuff (reviews and columns) but switches to a list view for the new, similar to what it looks like now.

Hi Penguin Factory, try the three icons to the top right of the news feed (under the marquee). I think those will give you want you want...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8