• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote

Hyperdimension Neptunia the Animation/Chō Jigen Game Neptune The Animation
Genres: Action, Comedy, Fantasy, Parody, Sci-Fi, Supernatural

Plot: This is Gamindustri. Beings called the Goddesses rule the countries of this unreal world. The four Goddesses govern four states: Planeptune, Lastation, Lowee, and Leanbox. For many long years, these countries fought each other over the Shares, the source of the Goddess power.

However, fearful that the conflict would pointlessly erode their countries' strength, the Goddesses signed a Friendship Treaty forbidding them from taking Shares by force.

Under the treaty, the Goddesses and their younger sisters took a step forward to a new stage in their relations. It was the dawn of a new, dynamic era marked occasionally by shared laughter, disputes as well cooperation.

What does the future hold in store for Gamindustri? (from official site)

Episode 1
Pretty decent imo. The artwork is top notch and I liked the OP song. I have not played the games before but most of the characters so far are appealing to me. Oh and then there's the deal with the spoiler[Ancient Dragon]. The voices fits with the characters as well I guess.

The OST was good during the transformation scenes imo, same goes with the battle scenes Hi Noire! Anyways, nice episode, will keep watching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Neptune - the Animation: now with 100% more breast focus, and strictly no sexualization of the smaller girls.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote
I saw a user on another board do an in-depth (and thus funny) comparison of Vert and Noire's bounce.

Regardless, the first ep was lots of fun. As a fan of the games I look forward to it each week.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So a magical sci-fi anime with cute girls about video game companies. Planeptune is Ninetendo, the N and focus on the d-pads is the hint, especially with the name Neptune. Lastation is Sony, well if the name is not a give away, the name Noir kind of fits into the black asthetic and is a four letter word like Sony. Leanbox is Microsoft's Xbox brand, which apart from the name is evidenced by the more western appearance with a mixture of green and white. But I am not sure what exactly Lowee is.

Wait, I was mistaken, Neptune is most likely Sega, that explains the whole lack of popularity thing, and the Sega Neptune was going to be a thing. Lowee is Ninendo, obviously because it sounds like Wii, which explains the two bothering the Lowee leader represent the hand held consoles.

Anyway the episode was really chaotic, I could not wrap my head around all of the characters at the beginning, especially with them suddenly changing forms. Luckilly the rest of the episode kind of made it a little easier to learn them, but some of their names are really odd. And the slime dogs were a reference to the Dragon Quest slimes, although that should be obvious.

Just a guess, but were those possible bad guys references to piracy?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
that was interesting. I haven't played the games, but I dont think that matters. Definitely going to keep watching.

Bango wrote:
I saw a user on another board do an in-depth (and thus funny) comparison of Vert and Noire's bounce.

you got a link?
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

you got a link?

I can't link to it because people tend to completely spaz out at the mere mention of the site's name but a sir copy/paste should suffice.

User:Dragnfly "It wasn't just the bounce, actually. It was the quality of the bounce. Basically, instead of the... hmmm... they're so gonna moderate me for this and I have a near-perfect record too:(. Oh, well. Here's hoping they don't-

Normally, the bounce would be like Vert's, where they just kind of lift up, go out a tad bit, then down before repeating 2 or 3 times. But in this one scene we get a pudding-like `boing' focused on the top with an upward sense of force. So basically, it looks like the exposed flesh is moving more than the flesh that's restricted by clothing, rather than the entire things bouncing equally in all areas.

Geez. I feel like freakin' Rorona could've explained that clearer than I did.

We play jRPGs. We watch anime. So we're no strangers to bounce. But I felt this one scene did it far better than I'd ever seen before. Whoever animated this must've absolute loved Noire."

DuskyPredator wrote:

Just a guess, but were those possible bad guys references to piracy?

The first 2 games had a very heavy-handed anti-piracy theme. I can't speak for the 4th game (an idol sim) which I know next to nothing about or the upcoming remake of the first game which is supposed to have story upgrades as well as visual and gameplay ones. But the 3rd game (Neptune V. That's "V", not 5) actually didn't do much with anti-piracy. I thought it had the best story of the 3. Which is the anime based on? Well, it shows elements from all of them. So it's likely something new and borrowing stuff from all 3.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Would love to watch this, but for some reason FUNi isn't putting it on Hulu and I've been getting an error on FUNi's player saying the video isn't available in my territory. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I had to fight with Funimation's site to get the video to work for me. It took like 10 mins to log in to my account, then the site kept crashing on me when I went to the video section.

Site functionality aside I liked ep 1. The call back to the first game with the opening playing during the grind fest was nice. I feel like the animation is a bit off here and there but nothing big. It looks like they're using more of V then anything else design wise, which I don't mind since I think V has the better outfits.

I was very happy about the Mages cameo at the start of the ep. Now just show 5pb and have them do some steins;gate jokes and I'll be happy no matter what. I also hope they throw in NISA and the other dlc characters, it'd be a shame not to.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping Gust shows up. I always liked her.

We can likely count on not seeing Broccoli. LOL.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Gust isn't going to show up unless you can get their parent c.o to let them use the character again. As of right now the reason she hasn't even been in anything past the first game and MK2 is because Tecmo Koei told the production team that they don't want the character to be in HDN anymore since they think it looks bad for them.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
Gust isn't going to show up unless you can get their parent c.o to let them use the character again. As of right now the reason she hasn't even been in anything past the first game and MK2 is because Tecmo Koei told the production team that they don't want the character to be in HDN anymore since they think it looks bad for them.

A move that, in turn, looks bad for them.
Between that and all the garbage they've done to the Atelier series in the US among other things I really don't have any respect for TK.

Emerje
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
The only good thing I can see ever coming out of it is Alchemy Warriors. And that's a stretch. Though they did say they were courting the idea.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could definitely go for that, especially if they go beyond just the PS3 games.

FUNi.com is still giving me trouble, but Neptunia is now on Hulu so I was finally able to catch it there. They're really taking some liberties, especially with the tranformations, but I guess it isn't too unexpected for this type of show. It's the first time I've heard the voices in Japanese, there's quite a difference in some between languages. Histoire sounds kinda cute instead of her deeper English voice, and Rom is just quiet in Japanese rather than "slow" in English. Some of the honorifics are kinda amusing as well.

Needs more Nisa, though.

Emerje
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I imported the first game back when it was new under the assumption that a game with that premise would never see an english translation. But I've long since forgotten the japanese voices because I ended up preferring the dub and sticking with it for each localized game.

Though seeing the characters in full motion instead of motion paper doll style, I'm unsure if I'd watch the anime with a dub when it inevitably gets licensed. I think I'd stick with games=dub, anime=sub.

Ep2
Moment of absolutely embarrassment and much frantic explaining = when your boss enters the room just as spoiler[Trick is licking up the twins and saying little girls are the best. ] When the scenario went to Lowee I should've expected that but I was still unsure of which game they were focusing on. Apparently all of them.Luckily he's cool with anime and loved the "console wars personified" angle. He actually didn't believe me at first but luckily the episode made it very easy to prove.

Funniest moment by far was "the disguise". Crap that was hilarious.

Also, I love the personalized exit sign. Little touches like that add a load of heart and spirit to the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

There were floating spoiler[blocks, turtles, coins, mushrooms. pipes and castles], something feels familiar. More specific there was a turtle spoiler[trying to steal some peaches], I just can't shake this feeling that there was a reference in there. I know the food looked like Kirby, that must be it.

A spoiler[pedo Bowser], now that was...... interesting. Oh anime. Although if the girls do in fact represent the Nintendo DS, there is some irony in the fact the DS's slogan is "spoiler[Touching is Good]".

And that one clip at the end where the spoiler[girl apparently went to the wrong place]. "Your princess is in another castle."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5