• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Crispin Freeman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:31 am Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:
I don't think I've ever heard Crispin Freeman yet. I don't think it matters, he's an LA VA, I want to be a Texas VA.....so more power to him!....or something
It doesn't matter where he works, or who he works for Grant. Nobody knows a journeys' path better than those who have been on it before you. Study this interview well and you will find out just what you have to do to get to be a VA in Texas, or anywhere. Wink

I don't have to read it, once you've read one VA interview, you've read them all. It's always the same thing, what got them interested, how they started, etc.

And as far as I'm concerned I just want to concentrate on being a VA for ADV and Funimation, not the entire animation community in LA because I don't think I could cut it in LA. It's one thing to be a good VA, but when it comes to wanting to be a VA in LA you need to be beyond good
Grant you have missed the point again. Record this in your memory well. Make a sign and stick it on your wall.
You need to be beyond good no matter where you work as a VA
If voice acting is the passion you keep saying you have, than that is your ultimate goal. Fail that and you might as well stack shelves for Morrison's (a supermarket)

I didn't think I missed the point
Read it again to be sure, there's a good lad. Wink
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:35 am Reply with quote
Like I said I don't have to, VA interviews tend to be the same.

That's all I want to say, I'd better go back trying to find voice/vocal training

spoiler[Hey ANN....why not interview me]
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:18 am Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:

That's all I want to say, I'd better go back trying to find voice/vocal training

spoiler[They don't have to because your response will be the same too sadly.] Keep working on it. Rolling Eyes
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:46 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If voice acting is the passion you keep saying you have, than that is your ultimate goal. Fail that and you might as well stack shelves for Morrison's (a supermarket)

Haha, nicely said. Morrisons is big; Wilkinsons or Aldi's is more like it Wink Hehehe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sarahtdl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:54 am Reply with quote
This is why the man continues to be one of my favortie actors. Besides being one of the most tallented people in anime, the fact that he is so interested in the mythology of anime, and what makes storytelling so important I think, makes his work all the more meaningful. I for one, am eager to see what may come out of his own private projects. If he can do such amazing work with the stories other people have created, and with his understanding of WHY a story and a character works, then anything he creates himself will be mind blowing.

This Librarian is looking forward to that! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
daveriley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
I think you missed the point a long way back, bro.

Still infecting other forums with your nonsense?

The article, however, was great. Totally in love with Crispin Freeman. I mean, Captain Tylor, come on.
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
Sarahtdl wrote:
This is why the man continues to be one of my favortie actors. Besides being one of the most tallented people in anime, the fact that he is so interested in the mythology of anime, and what makes storytelling so important I think, makes his work all the more meaningful. I for one, am eager to see what may come out of his own private projects. If he can do such amazing work with the stories other people have created, and with his understanding of WHY a story and a character works, then anything he creates himself will be mind blowing.

This Librarian is looking forward to that! Smile

Something tells me this is a classic case of overhype
Sarahtdl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
Call it what you will. Its simply an opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote
Sarahtdl wrote:
Call it what you will. Its simply an opinion.

Okay then, but I still think all this praise for him is simply overhype
uberfrosch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Okay then, but I still think all this praise for him is simply overhype

Maybe so, but since you admit to being unfamiliar with his work, and can't even be bothered to read the interview, your opinion has very little merit.
GrantM1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
GrantM1 wrote:

spoiler[They don't have to because your response will be the same too sadly.] Keep working on it. Rolling Eyes

spoiler[Actually I'd try to make mine slightly different]

Like I said before I'd better continue to try and get voice/vocal training and try to work for ADV and Funimation, because if I take too long my voice won't be able to handle any lead roles that involve teen/young adult characters (which are very common these days)
Sketchee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
If I was casting VAs, I wouldn't want to hire someone who isn't interested in reading about the profession.

The people who do the best at any job won't just stick to a set plan (like just doing voice training). The best go above and beyond looking for any small hints, leads, advice [in addition to the basics]. I'd never assume it's all the same, because that makes it so much easier to miss what's different. Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
GrantM1 wrote:

Talking trash about other voice actors and pulling this little ego trip here is not the way to get ahead in the industry, just so you know. Especially when that ego is based on absolutely no accomplishments to speak of.

GrantM1 wrote:

This spoiler-tagging your constant bragging and complaining about becoming a voice actor is getting old. Both here and in the other threads you've been pulling it. Why not quit bragging about how "great" you're supposedly going to become and actually do it already?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:04 pm Reply with quote
YES! Crispin Freeman knows that American animation is all (okay, MOSTLY) kiddie junk that only exists to sell crappy action figures! Yet another reason why he's one of the best!

Oh, and Grant, you need to stop. Seriously. You're getting very annoying. I've seen your posts on various forums and it's pathetic, really. If you want to be a voice actor, go out and take a goddamn theater class. Practice speaking aloud every day (try reading out loud). Study the works of the professionals. Listen to their performances (and I mean A LOT of them, not just one or two) before judging them. Send demos to a variety of companies (not just FUNi and/or ADV) that do voiceover, even if they don't do anime. If you're not willing to do that, then you have no right to even consider being a voice actor.

And ANN has no reason to interview some random anime fan from Scotland just because he thinks he's voice actor material, yet has no experience.
remember love

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
YES! Crispin Freeman knows that American animation is all (okay, MOSTLY) kiddie junk that only exists to sell crappy action figures! Yet another reason why he's one of the best!

Oh, and Grant, you need to stop. Seriously. You're getting very annoying. I've seen your posts on various forums and it's pathetic, really. If you want to be a voice actor, go out and take a goddamn theater class. Practice speaking aloud every day (try reading out loud). Study the works of the professionals. Listen to their performances (and I mean A LOT of them, not just one or two) before judging them. Send demos to a variety of companies (not just FUNi and/or ADV) that do voiceover, even if they don't do anime. If you're not willing to do that, then you have no right to even consider being a voice actor.

And ANN has no reason to interview some random anime fan from Scotland just because he thinks he's voice actor material, yet has no experience.

Well, I'm not so sure it's absolutely necessary to have theater class and practice speaking aloud or studying the works of proffessionals. Though I'm sure it's a plus not all voice actors did this, I think. One I know would be Tony Oliver voice of Rick Hunter on Robotech. If I remember right Robotech was his first Voice acting job. And just went to do it for the money and hadn't had any training at all or any "proffessional" hints. But like I said probably a plus if they did all the things you describe. Also, I'm not supporting Grant by any means he is being annoying. Grant before you say your going to be great go out and do it first because no gives a crap who you are unless you have done something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4