• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ali Project Books Date in Germany

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's unlikely I'll ever have the chance to hear them in person, but I say hooray! It's always a plus when Japanese singers and bands come out into the rest of the world and Ali Project is one of the better ones around right now (in my opinion.)

A big part of the draw of anime to me is the music. The Japanese don't shaft you on the music like is done in most domestic entertainment.

It's too bad more of the singer's aren't bilingual. It would rock to really be able to understand what they hell they're singing about. (Not to mention the enormous boost in general popularity. Wouldn't you like to be able to see a J-pop group's CD prominently on display?)
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:18 pm Reply with quote
They also did songs for Rozen Maiden and the new Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion -- I quite like the frenetic Rozen one, but the Code Geass ED is rather dull (and a bit of a re-tread of their previous songs).

Still, I'd go see them if I could. J-Music in any form should be embraced by fans, because if you go see one band, there could be a good chance someone you actually like (or are fannishly obsessive about, heehee) will be asked to tour near you someday. We can always hope. *grins*

Quote:
Richard J. wrote:

It's too bad more of the singer's aren't bilingual. It would rock to really be able to understand what they hell they're singing about.

This is true, but sometimes it's better not to know -- have you ever actually read Utada Hikaru's lyrics for Hikari? Quite amusingly bad, really. *G*
Not that I mind most of the time -- my japanese isn't spectacular, but I know more than enough to understand most j-pop/rock songs, and I still love them. Because they're fun. And occasionally poignant and meaningful. But mostly just bouncyhappyfun. *grins*

Last edited by Neverwhere on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
They also did songs for Rozen Maiden and the new Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion -- I quite like the frenetic Rozen one, but the Code Geass ED is rather dull (and a bit of a re-tread of their previous songs).

I forgot they did the Rozen Maiden opening. They also did the opening for Avenger, one of the few redeeming aspects of that series.

I hope they can come to the U.S. someday, as I'd love to go to a concert by them.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I love what they've done for the openings for Rozen Maiden so far and can't wait to hear what they do for the new special coming up. (Desperately wishing someone would license Rozen Maiden. For some reason, I lean toward Funimation.)

Still, Coppelia's Casket from NOIR is my favorite of their music so far. So much energy singing about death and longing. That's why I like them.

Neverwhere wrote:
This is true, but sometimes it's better not to know -- have you ever actually read Utada Hikaru's lyrics for Hikari? Quite amusingly bad, really. *G*
Not that I mind most of the time -- my Japanese isn't spectacular, but I know more than enough to understand most j-pop/rock songs, and I still love them. Because they're fun. And occasionally poignant and meaningful. But mostly just bouncyhappyfun. *grins*
I'm not familiar with that one, is it really awful?

Actually, the song that I wish had an English version the most, since I really think it would resonate with a lot of people, is called Jewel. It's from the soundtrack for Le Portrait de Petite Cossette. Marina Inoue takes Yuki Kajiura's lyrics and sings such a beautiful and haunting rendition, it took my breath away long before I had a clue what she was singing about. If you've never heard it, I recommend buying the soundtrack for that song alone. If there were a full-length English version of this song, I think Marina could give a lot of American singers severe competition.

It's true that occasionally you sort of roll your eyes at what the actual lyrics translate to, but honestly I do that with a ton of English songs (country music has really been on a downward spiral lately. A lot of it's becoming just heavily recycled chorus lines with maybe a few extra words here and there. Pop's not much better and rap. . . shudder.)

Most of Ali Project's stuff, especially what they've done with Rozen Maiden, is good. By comparison to the junk over here, even their worst song is pretty good.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Richard... Hikari is the theme to Kingdom Hearts, re-imagined as Simple and Clean for the international release. No, it isn't bad, just amusing -- 'turn off the tv' isn't something you normally hear in a song, after all. *G* (And I listen to it almost every day, so it must be doing something right for me. ;- )

Ahhhhh Kajiura Yuki, how I adore thee. *swoon* Very Happy

Now if she were attending the German con, I might consider a trip. *giggles*
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't just the OP to Avenger that they did, it was also the ED and soundtrack Razz And of course, I'm happy about news of this as well, means that someday (though doubtful) they just might come to America....let's hope for the best Razz
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(...) as well as the soundtracks for Kiki's Delivery Service

What the hell?! Who wrote this news item?! Tell me you were kidding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Oh, thank you Dormcat -- I thought I was the only one who was in disbelief about their supposed Kiki soundtrack. I wonder what the author of the item meant to write instead?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Oh, thank you Dormcat -- I thought I was the only one who was in disbelief about their supposed Kiki soundtrack. I wonder what the author of the item meant to write instead?

Well, I can't blame whoever wrote it for ANN, for he just copied the AnikiCon's official page (in German) and press release.

However, I just checked their official Salon, their official page @ Victor Entertainment, and Wikipedia in Japanese and English: when Kiki was premiered in 1989, the group was just formed (1988) with the name "蟻プロジェクト" and only one album Gensō Teien (幻想庭園, "Fantastic Garden") and didn't have anything else before changing their title to "ALI PROJECT" and released another single four years later in 1992. It was very, very unlikely that Ghibli or Joe Hisaishi would invite a small timer to participate Kiki more than 17 years ago, not to mention their music styles were quite different, and none of the sources listed above has ever mentioned their involvement with Kiki.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Quote:
(...) as well as the soundtracks for Kiki's Delivery Service

What the hell?! Who wrote this news item?! Tell me you were kidding.

In addition, I feel Rozen Maiden most definately should have been mentioned... Moreso than .hack//roots...

That being said, I can't imagine them ever doing something for Kiki...
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:19 am Reply with quote
[quote="PantsGoblin"]
dormcat wrote:

In addition, I feel Rozen Maiden most definately should have been mentioned... Moreso than .hack//roots...

Rozen probably wasn't included because it isn't licensed (yet). Smile
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:49 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Neverwhere wrote:

Well, I can't blame whoever wrote it for ANN, for he just copied the AnikiCon's official page (in German) and press release.

However, I just checked their official Salon, their official page @ Victor Entertainment, and Wikipedia in Japanese and English: when Kiki was premiered in 1989, the group was just formed (1988) with the name "蟻プロジェクト" and only one album Gensō Teien (幻想庭園, "Fantastic Garden") and didn't have anything else before changing their title to "ALI PROJECT" and released another single four years later in 1992. It was very, very unlikely that Ghibli or Joe Hisaishi would invite a small timer to participate Kiki more than 17 years ago, not to mention their music styles were quite different, and none of the sources listed above has ever mentioned their involvement with Kiki.

Takarano Arika sang a few songs for Kiki's Delivery Service Vocal Album.
Her involvement with the album has been also mentioned on the web page.
http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~alipro/profile.html
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
Oh crudmonkies, why can't they come to the US as well? Ali Project may be repetitive at times, but I've been a fan of their music for years. It's equal parts cute and dark, and that really appeals to me. And on a musical note, the weird timings that's one of their hallmarks is definitely funfunfun. Coppelia no Hitsugi is still as haunting as the first time I heard it, and their Rozen Maiden stuff is awesome. Even some of the early stuff from the Wish CDs is wonderful (and I have Anniversary of Angel in my head right now). I'm going to go cry emo tears now and hope someone brings them to the US.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:52 am Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin wrote:
Takarano Arika sang a few songs for Kiki's Delivery Service Vocal Album.

Alright, I'm totally pawned this time. Embarassed I've read that page yet I didn't even notice 「魔女の宅急便」 Anime dazed

I did some further searches and found 3 out of 9 tracks (#5-7) by her in that vocal album. Lyrics are available here and audio samples are available here. Both pages are written in Japanese; for those who can't read them just look for 宝野アリカ.

Thanks for correcting my ignorance, tenkado-shujin.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote
The news item is still messed up and should be reworded. Singing a few image songs on a CD released three years after the movie, songs likely to not even be in the movie, does not equal "providing the soundtrack for".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2