• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tiger and Bunny (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Tiger and Bunny (TV)
Movie 1 - Tiger and Bunny: The Beginning (movie)
Movie 2 - Tiger and Bunny -The Rising- (movie)
Season 2 - Tiger and Bunny (TV 2)
Spinoff - Double Decker! Doug & Kirill (TV) (discussed here)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: fighting, secret identity, super hero, superpowers

Plot Summary: Sternbild City is home to people called "Next," who use their special abilities to protect the people as superheroes. These heroes solve cases and save lives so they can wear sponsor logos or acquire "hero points." Their activities are documented on the popular program "Hero TV," which picks the "King of Heroes" in a yearly ranking. The veteran hero Wild Tiger has always preferred to work alone, but now he's been assigned the rookie Barnaby Brooks Jr., who has a different perspective on being a superhero.

S1 - Hulu
S2 - Netflix
----------------------------------

Well I finished the first episode, and other than the really blatant CGI I didn't have a problem with it. The whole points system behind the super hero exploits was pretty cool, and I thought it was a pretty interesting dynamic. As for the heroes themselves the powers seemed pretty cool, though it definently seems like Tiger's power is really inconvient and their going to play with that a lot.

On the note of Tiger...poor dude seems really down on his luck, but I guess it sort of helps in making the whole superhero thing really seem like a celebrity status thing. Not sure what to think of Bunny yet but he only had like 5 lines in the whole episode so I guess it;s too early to call.

All in all I think this has a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to more. The only thing is, much like Heroman, this show strikes me as something that would probably sound more natural with an english dub...
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac's Ep 1 Review wrote:
Obviously created with the tastes of Western fans in mind...

I was thinking this the whole time I was watching. The Hero system is quite interesting, awarding points to those who capture criminals. Characters introduced so far are the heroes, and some of the business corporations the heroes are involved with. We have what seems like a variety of heroes, Wild Tiger being the "old fashion" spandex hero, and the others being upgraded with technology or more advance 'suits'. The suits are also have sponsor's names on them, such as Bandai, USTREAM, Pepsi NEX, etc. This is relevant because the heroes are supported by these companies. The heroes are also celebrities - they have their own show called Hero TV.

If you're a fan of superheroes then this anime will appeal to you.

Divineking wrote:
this show strikes me as something that would probably sound more natural with an english dub...

Agreed, I believe it would do great on Western television.

I was in for a mecha show (from the description) but it seems more like mecha suits. This show doesn't appeal to me, but it was an enjoyable first episode. I'll probably try more and drop it later on, not because it's bad, but because I hold no interest in it yet.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what to think of this show right now after a single episode. I admit the premise is a bit different compared to much of what I've heard or seen lately with the whole corporate-sponsored superheroes concept. But I am hoping for some meat to this like how the superheroes came about and what led to the corporate sponsorship. I'll give this the usual four episode sampling process to see if this is a series I will commit to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SgtMustang

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:09 am Reply with quote
I liked the corporate sponsered super heroes reality tv show concept.
I just wasn't feeling the art and animation.
I'll give it a whirl tho.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:16 am Reply with quote
This series has probably one of the most brilliant concepts in years. The execution is equally flawless. The scene where Wild Tiger buys his own cards to make him not look so bad was well done, as was the phone call with his family. The fact that the world has become so shallow that heroes have become less about actually saving people and more to do with commercials is amazing.

In terms of animation while it wasn't the best it was good enough that it doesn't detract from the series itself. When this series comes to America I am probably going to buy it right away.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 am Reply with quote
Just checking in to say this is actually off to a good start in my book as well. I didn't expect too much but Tiger & Bunny did impress me.

My perspective would be a little bit different, however, in that I think the concept is almost certainly inspired or influenced by previous satirical works made in both sides of the world. The thing is, most of those ideas come from outside as opposed to inside modern anime: live-action movies, Japanese tokusatsu, Western superhero comic books and all their respective satires.

The specific combination of said elements may be fairly unique though and, of course, has little or nothing to do with the bulk of the current seasonal line-up. That's where the real distinction lies and, I sincerely hope, also why this series should easily manage to keep and maintain a very respectable level of mainstream appeal. Not to mention that its short length, if this show does end up having only 12 episodes, may well be a blessing in disguise. Or, to be a little more generous, Sunrise could make another set of those after a temporary break and then call it a day.

As good as both the concept and its initial execution are, I do think there's an inherent danger in trying to drag it out too far. Sooner or later we'll have to see whether or not that bridge is going to be crossed. For now, I was also pleased with the first episode and didn't notice any significant issues.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:25 am Reply with quote
Wow. There's actually a lot going on here. Now I've seen the superhero as a reality show celebrity and corporately sponsored before with American comics like X-Statix or Booster Gold or a number of others. Yet I've never quite seen it done to this extent. This is really playing up the corporate hero and reality show concept.

Now I have to wonder how much of the pros and cons they're going to dive into. How much of that typical right wing Japanese corporate pride is going to be adhered to and how much of it is going to be rebelled against? The fact that they're using real world companies as sponsors has me taken aback a bit. You can't badmouth corporations on a show where the companies on it are your actual sponsors. Can you? Though certainly you do see reluctance in Tiger's reactions. How much he rebels against the system and the hand that feeds has yet to be seen.

Also.. is it just me or is the black character who's effeminate and an over the top homosexual getting to be an anime cliche at this point? They even literally made him "a flamer". Wow. Of course from a gay friend who lived in Japan, I hear Japan thinks homosexuality is something found in Americans, not in their people. So I shouldn't be surprised that they put groups that are 'the other' like blacks and gays together. Though maybe I'm thinking waaaay too much about politics, psychology, and sociology with an anime about superheros.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Watched it only after seeing good things about it on ANN.

The preview did not do it justice - just looked like a superhero version of Initial D with the CG'ed motorcycles and stuff...

Anyways, love the characters, love the nifty designs, and I love the way they're setting this series up: spoiler[corruption looming, celebrity superheroes, rivals, family, etc.]

Don't care for the CG "suit" we see at the end of episode one, but I won't let it spoil the whole show for me. (The CG in FMP didn't ruin that series, so I'll deal.) Love Tiger. I feel kinda bad for the guy, but I think he'll pull through. I like that they've humanized him right from the get go without starting the story before he became a superhero. Everyone can relate to this dude and that's going to make the show very appealing.

Too early to say if this will be my favorite of the season, but it's definitely looking promising.

I, too, agree that this would do great in the US. Bet it gets licensed before the series finishes it's initial run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
Watched it only after seeing good things about it on ANN.

The preview did not do it justice - just looked like a superhero version of Initial D with the CG'ed motorcycles and stuff...

Anyways, love the characters, love the nifty designs, and I love the way they're setting this series up: spoiler[corruption looming, celebrity superheroes, rivals, family, etc.]

Don't care for the CG "suit" we see at the end of episode one, but I won't let it spoil the whole show for me. (The CG in FMP didn't ruin that series, so I'll deal.) Love Tiger. I feel kinda bad for the guy, but I think he'll pull through. I like that they've humanized him right from the get go without starting the story before he became a superhero. Everyone can relate to this dude and that's going to make the show very appealing.

Too early to say if this will be my favorite of the season, but it's definitely looking promising.

I, too, agree that this would do great in the US. Bet it gets licensed before the series finishes it's initial run.

What do you mean "bet it gets licensed"? Viz has the license to the show(according to them it's because the creator of Video Girl Ai is behind the superhero designs) and are streaming it on their site. They don;t have a perfect track record with this stuff of course but I have very little doubt about Viz dubbing it and getting it a TV airing(prefereably not on AS since I could see this getting pitched to other channels that will air it at a time where people are awake to watch it).
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Watched it on Anime on Demand. Exactly what I heard, better than I thought. The characters seem interesting, but again, considering all the introductions and stylish episode one I wonder how the other episodes will hold out. We'll see.
I also liked their video player much more. Now I'm at CR watching one of the latest additions and guess what... lag. One more good title I'll subscribe.

But man, I expected a bigger influx of new titles by now. Most boring so far is Battle Girls, but that's to be expected.
sburstall

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
Zac's Ep 1 Review wrote:
Obviously created with the tastes of Western fans in mind...

I was thinking this the whole time I was watching. The Hero system is quite interesting, awarding points to those who capture criminals. Characters introduced so far are the heroes, and some of the business corporations the heroes are involved with. We have what seems like a variety of heroes, Wild Tiger being the "old fashion" spandex hero, and the others being upgraded with technology or more advance 'suits'. The suits are also have sponsor's names on them, such as Bandai, USTREAM, Pepsi NEX, etc. This is relevant because the heroes are supported by these companies. The heroes are also celebrities - they have their own show called Hero TV.

If you're a fan of superheroes then this anime will appeal to you.

Divineking wrote:
this show strikes me as something that would probably sound more natural with an english dub...

Agreed, I believe it would do great on Western television.

I was in for a mecha show (from the description) but it seems more like mecha suits. This show doesn't appeal to me, but it was an enjoyable first episode. I'll probably try more and drop it later on, not because it's bad, but because I hold no interest in it yet.

This isn't the first time of a superhero being part of a corporation. Capt. Amazing, from the movie "Mystery Men", was just covered with corporate sponsorships. Booster Gold from DC did commercials. The only difference is that the heroes now get points for Hero of the Year. This makes me want to continue watching the series and see how it progresses.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Just watched episode 2.

I was sort of worried that the series might have been a one episode wonder but things are looking good. Other than the obvious cliches with the person controlling the statue being a kid and him being misunderstood and whatnot, the writing was still pretty solid. We got some good humor(the whole suit thing was comedy gold), and we learned a bit more about why Tiger's the way he, and I have to say i was sort of surprised that they made Mr. Legend come off as cool given he was fat, and we all know how superhero shows love to treat fat heroes like their useless, but it definently seemed like it inspired Tiger a lot.

Looks like next week we'll be learning a bit more about Lil' Bunny-I mean Barnaby. I;m curious about this "Ouroboros" thing. Very Happy
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
The "real" corporate logo placements (especially in the OP) are alarming. Presumably Bandai are planning a toy tie-in.

That aside, the scene where Tiger and Barnaby got wrapped up Tiger's wires was pretty funny.

The lack of a main female character is diappointing. I hope Tiger's daughter provides some interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I was bored. I'd have much rather watched a show about how the main character's daughter dealt with her father being absent and living a double life than this generic superhero drivel.

Nothing new here, even the time limit for his powers was done before (and better) in Evangelion.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
After seeing episode 2, my fears that this show will never aspire to be something more than generic superhero schlock have grown exponentially. The preview guide compares this show to Heat Guy J, for whatever reason, but at least that show tried (and fell short) of aspiring for more than it started out as...but at least it tried. This could easily falter and become "Needless 2", only worse. Episode 2 is too early to judge, but I held out hope on Kiddy Girl-and being at least on par with the original. We all know how that panned out. Hence my skepticism.

Again, the initial premise of the show needs fleshing out--in a town where blue-collar criminals are violently apprehended, blue-collar crime would not exist. At least, not in the form shown in ep 1, there would be no poorly organized 3-man crews. Why would anyone risk the perilous job of hijacking an armored truck when they could simply embezzle the money from the company's bank accounts?

This seems like a less macabre Death Race mixed with The Incredibles, with a healthy does of the generic "buddy cop" formula.

Finally, where's my awesome guitar-laden sentai-esque theme song to set the mood? This song is pretty weak across the board. If crappy shows like SRW:OG:DW(Break Out) & Gravion(Gasshin God Gravion!) can employ cool cheesy rock songs, why can't this? We have a perfect show to bring back something like Let's Go Gekiganger 3 and we aren't capitalizing on it?! For shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 25