• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching 13 series this season and thats including the shows continued from last season.. Yeaa, I have a lot of free time now since I'm officially on my summer vacation and I would watch old series to but my stupid part-time job takes up some time of my day.... lol there goes my life story xD
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I know I say this every season, but (1) I don't know how you can have enough time to watch all that, barring it being part of your job as a reviewer, and (2) I don't know why you'd want to; over half of it sucks or is mediocre. Sure, you might argue it's still "fun," but as I get older I start calculating how much of my life I've spent watching anime, look at the series I've watched, and I'd like at least half that time back because it wasn't worth spending the limited hours that we get in a maybe-75 year lifespan.

/gets off high horse, and decides she's done for the season
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, what I usually do is calculate how much of my life isn't spent on anime. Laughing

I'm really having fun with all the shows I'm watching, though.

But hey, that's not all. Still have Gosick, Beelzebub, Bleach, Cardfight, Fairy Fail, Naruto, Lost Canvas, and One Piece on the top of that, while also making my way through Fist of the North Star (currently at ep 100 first season), Eyeshield21 (episode 120 something), Lovely Complex (ep 10), Persona Trinity Soul (16 or something), and a bunch of re-watches + OVAs ONAs. I think that's about it. Oh, yeah, bloody Madoka still hasn't finished airing, has it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vte4HUoRDSI Laughing

Last edited by egoist on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
bojak90 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Also is it just me or am I getting a huge "Persona 3/4" vibe from this series?

Same here. The denizens of the Financial district look like they escaped from an Atlus game

I swear! When that strange, fancy car came by, I thought Igor will be inside. Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
18 shows? Pffft, amateur. I am currently watching 24 of the new spring shows and as soon as I finish watching the first eppie of Toriko, that'll be 25. If some nice fansubber ever gets around to doing Showa Monogatari, that'll be 26. Plus, I'm still watching Fairy Tail and Gosick from previous seasons.

*cries at having no life*

Actually, it is not as bad as it seems. Since most eppies are around 22-23 minutes (and two of the new shows Hen Zemi and Azazel-san are actually half that), even 30 shows represents only about 11.5 hours of viewing per week - slightly less than an hour and a half of viewing per day.

*still cries at having no life*
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:20 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I know I say this every season, but (1) I don't know how you can have enough time to watch all that, barring it being part of your job as a reviewer, and (2) I don't know why you'd want to; over half of it sucks or is mediocre. Sure, you might argue it's still "fun," but as I get older I start calculating how much of my life I've spent watching anime, look at the series I've watched, and I'd like at least half that time back because it wasn't worth spending the limited hours that we get in a maybe-75 year lifespan.

that's the funny and sad thing for me thought I have no life and no this isn't a self pity thing I am being dead serious. I do not want to go into personal details of my private life but but I will be honest only 5 of the shows on that list if they are picked up here I would by to own. "not counting naruto or bleach because i have no desire to own a series that has over 300 episodes each." That's just me though I mean you probably do have a life, wife and kids and have the time for other things to keep you happy. I don't this is what keeps me happy and sane for the most part. That's all I am going to say about it no need to get into a long discussion over this I am off to play the umineko novel on ps3 that I just got in the mail. Here is what it looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8TBIxWWpiI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Meh. 3-6 hours on a hobby everyday doesn't really impose much trouble for someone who doesn't have to deal with a family, pets, or mother in law. So, I can't quite agree with this "too much anime = no life". And working an average of 30 hours weekly, added to average of 60 hours of sleep weekly, and subtracted by 168, leaves me with at least 10 hours everyday.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
18 shows? Pffft, amateur. I am currently watching 24 of the new spring shows and as soon as I finish watching the first eppie of Toriko, that'll be 25. If some nice fansubber ever gets around to doing Showa Monogatari, that'll be 26. Plus, I'm still watching Fairy Tail and Gosick from previous seasons.

*cries at having no life*

Actually, it is not as bad as it seems. Since most eppies are around 22-23 minutes (and two of the new shows Hen Zemi and Azazel-san are actually half that), even 30 shows represents only about 11.5 hours of viewing per week - slightly less than an hour and a half of viewing per day.

*still cries at having no life*

I don't know how you can follow that many at once. I am only following five (I dropped the other five) and of course I did previews myself for nine of them which that is in itself takes time to write and get my thoughts down on a page. Plus I also have two shows that I am watching for fun (non licensed shows) and one show that I am watching now that I am going to write a review for in the next week or so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
opn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
im watching 28 anime from this season and last which includes
one piece
naruto
gosick
beelzebub (get back to canon already!)
nicjijou
blue exorcist
deadman wonderland
fairy tail
c
gintama
twogk 2
iroha
lotte no omacha
madoka
ore tachi (only barely though)
sekai ichi hatsukoi
sket dance
stiens gate
tiger and bunny
yugioh zaxal
toriko (the censors are annoying me though)
sengoku otome
not to mention neuro,0 7 ghost and the air gear oads. Surprised
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Showa Monogatari has been subbed now ... too late for the guide?
Takuku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Well [C] wasn't what I was expecting, instead much better. Think i'm going to have to rewatch it at some other point.

As it stands, i've got 5 new anime from this season that i've watched, another 3 from this season to make a start on, 2 on-going long series, marathoning 2 past season shows as well, catching up slowly with about 7 other shows and another show that I plan to make a start on tomorrow.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Key wrote:
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. . . Rolling Eyes

Well, since one of your confederates just tied it with Deadman Wonderland as his top-rated show of the season, yes, different strokes. Razz

Actually, Ano Hana got a 5/5 from Carl, so it's his top rated for this season so far. Blue Exorcist is tied for the number 2 spot though.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I'm not planning to follow any shows from this season in streams or downloads, I intend to wait for DVDs or at least until several years have passed with no license for a given show. I actually wish I spent more time watching anime though, as I have a huge backlog:

Air
Aria
Armored Trooper Votoms
Azumanga Daioh
Battle Athletes Victory (second half)
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Cardcaptor Sakura (second half)
Crest of the Stars
Crusher Joe OVAs
Fantastic Children
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!
Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex 2nd GIG
Gunslinger Girl
Hidamari Sketch
Hitohira
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
Kaleido Star
Key the Metal Idol
Kurau Phantom Memory
Last Exile
Legend of the Dog Warriors: The Hakkenden
(The Super Dimensional Fortress) Macross
Macross Plus
Orguss 02 (it's meant to be in this position on the list as it is a related title)
Magic User's Club
Master Keaton
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (second half of first series)
Moomin
Mushishi
Naruto
Noein - To Your Other Self
Noir
Petite Princess Yucie
Planetes
Princess Nine
Samurai 7
Sketchbook ~full color's~
Stellvia
Soul Eater
Toradora
Touch
Yokohama Shopping Log

And that's just the shows that I have and actually want to watch, I've left out a bit of stuff that I own but have no interest in seeing any further. I actually have a lot of free time, but I spend most of it dealing with mental health issues or browsing the internet and then feeeling frustrated because I haven't made my way through any of this backlog. Yes I am aware of the irony (and I'm going to go and make some progress on Last Exile now that I've finished this post.)
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Hah, that backlog is nothing.

On MAL my currently watching is @ 21 series (most of these aren't really currently watching...) and my on hold is at 291 series.

I think the last series I finished watching completely was Working.. I've seen 1-12 of Seitokai Yakuindomo.. yet to watch 13.. but watched the 14th episode released as an OAD...
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Carl, your rendition of C-Control epi 1 sounds like a frame by frame adaptation of a Terry Gilliam cinematic experiment titled "Brazil" released back in the mid-80's. This flick became 1 of my favs back then. It poked dark fun at the governing and corporate types whose organizations were saddled with ambivalence and inepititude while enforcement of societal mores outside the bureaucratic realm ran amok. I guess we'll see if this anime imitates art or vice versa.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 47