• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Hah, that backlog is nothing.

It may not be as big as yours, but it is still not "nothing", it will take me a lot of time to get through all that.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to point out that, even though the Guide isn't listed on the front page anymore, a couple of new previews did get posted Friday evening in Zac's final update. Showa Monogatari and Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream are both represented.

Now that I've sampled everything that the new season has to offer, I'm not certain yet on which 4-5 series I'm going to continue to follow. (Between my work and reviewing schedules and the [as] premiers I'm following, I don't really have time for more than that.) One will definitely be X-Men, as I was a huge fan of the comic books for a couple of decades, and Hanasaku Iroha is probably a second. Likely I will continue following Gosick, so that leaves 1-2 more. Astarotte's Toy, surprisingly, is looking like a strong candidate, too, and I will certainly give Deadman Wonderland at least one more episode to impress me. I will certainly watch Seikon no Qwaser II at some point, but only in DC versions. There were several other interesting-looking series, but I'm at the point where I must prioritize so some series are going to have to wait or just get skipped.

Overall, I thought that this was a pretty strong season. This season probably had as broad a variety of fare as any recent season, and nearly every major genre was represented with at least one worthy title. The overall quality level seemed higher than normal, as there were only a couple of the 29 series I tried that I thought truly stunk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, I don't recall a robot or space anime this season. Very Happy
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:33 am Reply with quote
Thank you Key for previewing Showa Monogatari. It's pretty mundane, but then A: that's kind of what it's going for, and B: sometimes mundane stories can be interesting; Only Yesterday is a testament to that. Mundane does not equal bad or even necessarily boring, although it is often associated with blandness. I think it is too early to tell if Showa Monogatari is going to be interesting or just bland, it could go either way. The potential is certainly there, and the first episode was done competently enough. I'm definitely going to give it another two episodes and I do have faith that it will pull through as a quiet little charmer.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
it's funny that you say

Quote:
Anime simply does not get more mundane than this

because from the content, Showa Monogatari and HanaIro aren't very different (supposing now it won't turn into baywatch).
Children growing up, getting used to new stuff like work/westernization, first love, parent-child conflict, strict parent / grandma who is actually not a bad person, heartwarming family / work companion life.
If Showa would have the same art style as HanaIro, K-On, A-Channel etc. everybody would be watching it =P

But the same is true for Hyouge Mono. If Sasuke was a cutie like Denpa Onna Erio, everybody would watch him talk weird stuff about tea / aliens all the time.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:12 am Reply with quote
I'm actually lost about what to watch. So many promising series! I'll follow Deadman Wonderland and HanaIro and... probably AnoHana, ... *hmmm*

Question: From what anime is the picture on the front page of the preview guide? It looks awesome.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:13 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Question: From what anime is the picture on the front page of the preview guide? It looks awesome.

I'm not sure that's even from an anime. I do know that it's the same picture that Zac used last year for the spring season.

maaya: You have a point, but there's one key difference between HI and SM: the former one focuses on a major life-changing issue for the heroine (i.e. the transition to living and working in a totally unfamiliar environment and having to get used to dealing with new people) and that gives it both an actual plot and the taste of the abnormal. There is nothing that, by any stretch, could be called abnormal in SM.

(And as a total side point, it looks like HI could be the big series this season for hentai doujinshi artists, as I've already seen a lot more of such fare featuring those characters than for any other spring series.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:13 am Reply with quote
It has only been implied yet, but I think the olympic games in your home town can be considered an "abnormality". Especially for a country with so few foreigners, I guess the characters will encounter a lot of new stuff. Well, the whole being confronted with westernization already becomes more clear in episode 2. In the end both shows are about growing up and overcoming conflicts in the family / among friends / love interests

A Mystery wrote:

I suppose you mean "C" ?
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

(And as a total side point, it looks like HI could be the big series this season for hentai doujinshi artists, as I've already seen a lot more of such fare featuring those characters than for any other spring series.)

Then I guess Tiger&Bunny will probably be the one for BL fanartists, only 3 eps out and already over 500 BunnyxTiger pics on Pixiv (not to mention the other pairings). One would think that there will be more inappropriate pics of Blue Rose or something...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:

I am pretty sure that's just a picture someone took of a cherry tree
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
It has only been implied yet, but I think the olympic games in your home town can be considered an "abnormality". Especially for a country with so few foreigners, I guess the characters will encounter a lot of new stuff. Well, the whole being confronted with westernization already becomes more clear in episode 2. In the end both shows are about growing up and overcoming conflicts in the family / among friends / love interests

Have not seen the second episode of SM, so I can only go by comparing the first eps of each. If SM does start to emphasize the way Westernization and the Tokyo Olympic Games affect normal life then the series might become more watchable (that was as much what made Taisho Baseball Girls a watchable series for me as the cute factor), but based on the first episodes of each SM felt more like it emphasized the mundanity in everyday life while HI felt like it emphasized more how a big life change can make everyday events seem interesting.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I meant C indeed. Trees are nice, but I wouldn´t describe them as awesome Wink.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Caught episode 2 of Deadman Wonderland this morning, and I must say I am disappointed. It's been a while since I read the manga, but I could still tell that there was a lot that was being cut out and/or changed. It seems like they're really trying to condense the early story.

I can see why they may want to get to some of the later parts quickly, as the real meat of the series doesn't occur until after certain events transpire, but by doing this many of the earlier scenes that were still quite cool are losing their impact or being removed entirely. Ah well, I still enjoyed episode 2, so I'll continue watching the series... for now.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Caught episode 2 of Deadman Wonderland this morning, and I must say I am disappointed. It's been a while since I read the manga, but I could still tell that there was a lot that was being cut out and/or changed. It seems like they're really trying to condense the early story.

I can see why they may want to get to some of the later parts quickly, as the real meat of the series doesn't occur until after certain events transpire, but by doing this many of the earlier scenes that were still quite cool are losing their impact or being removed entirely. Ah well, I still enjoyed episode 2, so I'll continue watching the series... for now.

Well, it is only going to be a 12 episode series and with 8 volumes out now in Japan I'm guessing they just want to put in the important parts only.. Though, leaving out a (somewhat) important character is certainly weird and a bit stupid... Well, unless she makes a late intro.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Any sources saying this is 12 episodes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 46 of 47