• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Seas Entertainment - Your One-Stop Thread for 7S Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I'd LOVE to see Dear Tear. It was published by Hakusensha and is only two volumes, plus it's a josei title. It's about a high school freshman who decides to find out why her senpai keeps rejecting confessions from girls so she decides to start walking home with him after school.

The summary doesn't sound like much, but the way their relationship builds is highly realistic (IMHO).

Hmmm, josei titles are still something that have had difficulty finding a market here in the US. Vertical has been doing a lot on that front, and VIZ Media's Shojo Beat imprint is even trying a few out. As for Seven Seas, I don't think we'll be foraying into josei for now.

Flame808 wrote:
How about these?
Black Bullet - Manga based on novel by same name. Published by ASCII Media Works. Currently has 2 volumes. Genres Action, Mystery, Sci-fi, and Seinen.

God Does Not Play Dice - Published by Kadokawa Shoten. Currently has 4 volumes. Genres Comedy, Ecchi, and, Shounen.

Kingdom of Zombie- Manhwa published by Daiwon. Currently has 1 volume. Genres Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy Horror, Shounen, Supernatural.

Mother Keeper - Manga published by Mag Garden. Currently has 8 volumes. Genres Action, Drama, Sci-fi, and Shounen. Was formerly licensed by JManga.

Taboo-Tattoo - Manga published by Media Factory. Currently has 6 volumes. Genres Action, Adult, Comedy, Ecchi, Martial Arts, Mystery, Romance, School Life, Seinen, and Supernatural.

As always, we're looking for hidden-gems or series that other publishers may have passed up/not considered. You have some good picks, and I've seen a few people request Taboo-Tattoo before as well. Reminds me a bit of Psyren, with the artstyle of Deadman Wonderland.

st_owly wrote:
I'd also be up for more manhwa. How well is My Boyfriend's a Vampire doing? I really enjoy that series Smile

EDIT: Any news on volume 3+ of Lizzie Newton? The first 2 volumes are starting to get lonely on my shelf...

Well, we're still publishing it, with omnibus 5 out in September, omnibus 6 in January 2014 and omnibus 7 in May 2014. I'd say that is a good indicator that it's selling. Wink

As for Lizzie Newton, eh... We haven't given up on the title, we're just considering our options for future releases.

chichiriNoDa wrote:
Otogi Matsuri - I've read the first volume released by CPM and it's a terrific series. Blends in mythological stuff and yokai/folklore creatures from Japan. I know it's another license rescue issue but CPM only managed to release the first volume and I think it was of a limited quantity.. It's 12 volumes long though..

Someday's Dreamers ~ Summer Skies - I think this one fits the bill. It's two volumes long. It's a spin off of Someday's Dreamer series released by Tokyopop and last year Section23 Films released the anime adaptation of it on DVD. It's a lovely slice of life series with a dash of magic.

Last Game - I would really love this one. Though it's more suited for shojo beat line but heck I'll inquire anyway.. Its a fluffy rom-com that's kind of like Kimi ni Todoke, Kare Kano and Special A.

Adekan - It's the amazing art and the flawless time period backdrop. JManga managed to release the first volume online.. Its unbelievably gorgeous and action packed!

Madameoiselle Butterfly - Sweet, short, slice of life romance that is another couple of volumes long. Its a series aimed for mature crowd. Its similar to CMX's The Name of the Flower.. But a much light hearted one.

Omoide Emanon - Only one volume. Terrific storyline about a girl with a 3 billion year old memory.. It's a Seinen series kind of like Mushishi.

Song of the Hanging Sky - Four volumes. Go Comi released its first two volumes and left it hanging.. Its a really good series! Another license rescue wish list.. :/

More Starlight to your Heart - License rescue too! 8 volumes.

Kage Kara Mamoru - Ecchi series. That desparately need rescuing. It's funny and cute.. Resembles My Bride's a Mermaid, Omamori Himari and the likes.. 6 volumes.

That's about the first series that comes to mind.. Sorry for the long list of recommendation. It's not everyday a publisher asks readers for recommendation. So THANK YOU!

Heh, Otogi Matsuri...yeah, I remember that one. Supernatural/seinen titles have a really spotty record, as CPM, CMX and almost every other publisher in the early-2000s tried their hand at them, with little success. IMO, the only kind of supernatural series that seem to catch on and resonate with fans are shounen manga, like Blue Exorcist, Nura and Soul Eater.

Your other rec's are pretty niche or rescues, which are difficult to deal with, since distributors and book-stores are far less willing to stock titles that already had a chance. Not to sound harsh, but sometimes we need to move on and give new material a chance. Not to say we don't look at previously released series, but they take lower-priority.

TsunaReborn! wrote:
My Little Monster (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun) 11 Volumes (over 10 I know) but the series has just finished and the anime seemed pretty popular.

A physical release of The Rule of Standing on Tiptoe... No harm in putting it out there.

Damn you Square Enix! I want someone to pick up You and Me (Kimi To Boku) but I don't see this happening...[/b]

As of yesterday, Kodansha Comics licensed My Little Monster (since it's a Kodansha title, and we wouldn't have been able to get it any way) and will start releasing it in March 2014, so be sure to support the title and KC! Smile

Right now we're not really looking at yaoi/shounen-ai titles. Sorry.

We'd love to have access to Square Enix titles, as well. Lots of amazing titles sitting around over there.

Princess_Irene wrote:
I agree! (On both points.)

Have you considered/looked at/ever heard of Sweety Gem? It's by the same manhwaga as Bird Kiss (Park Eun-Ah?), which TokyoPop released back in the day. Personally, I think it's much better - a retelling of "Sleeping Beauty" where she is trapped in a magic gem and awakens in contemporary England. It's six volumes, so nice and short, and I think Alice fans would enjoy it.

Since Alice is doing so well, are you considering more otoge or reverse harem manga?

We do like and look for stuff similar to that genre/setting, so it may be something worth looking into. As for otoge manga-adaptations and the like, we do keep the genre in mind since it does have a decently large fanbase.

(phew, sorry for the delay on these posts!)
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
Oh man, do I have a list of yuri titles for you guys to consider! Surprised

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter by Eiki Eiki and Zaou Taishi — I get a kick out of BL manga-ka trying out yuri, and I heard this title shows that they are just as competent. Similar to Milk Morinaga's Kisses, Sighs, Cherry Blossom Pink, it's a 1 volume collection of school girl yuri stories that do have a connection with each other.

Sweet Guilty Love Bites by Amano Shuninta - Another 1 volume collection about 4 hostesses in a club which deals about their yuri relationships. Definitely consider this one if you want more about adult female lesbians than your usual schoolgirl lesbians!

Cirque Arachne by Saida Nika - Full-fledged yuri version of Kaleido Star! That pretty much sums it sums it up! Laughing

Hanjuku Joshi by Akiko Morishima - 2 volume series about 2 couples: a tomboy and girly girl and a student-teacher relationship. I'd imagine this would be a good start to delve into more of Morishima's other yuri works; she's on par with Milk Morinaga in terms of being a yuri manga-ka icon.

I got more, but this is it for now. Wink
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:28 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Oh man, do I have a list of yuri titles for you guys to consider! Surprised

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter by Eiki Eiki and Zaou Taishi — I get a kick out of BL manga-ka trying out yuri, and I heard this title shows that they are just as competent. Similar to Milk Morinaga's Kisses, Sighs, Cherry Blossom Pink, it's a 1 volume collection of school girl yuri stories that do have a connection with each other.

Sweet Guilty Love Bites by Amano Shuninta - Another 1 volume collection about 4 hostesses in a club which deals about their yuri relationships. Definitely consider this one if you want more about adult female lesbians than your usual schoolgirl lesbians!

Cirque Arachne by Saida Nika - Full-fledged yuri version of Kaleido Star! That pretty much sums it sums it up! Laughing

Hanjuku Joshi by Akiko Morishima - 2 volume series about 2 couples: a tomboy and girly girl and a student-teacher relationship. I'd imagine this would be a good start to delve into more of Morishima's other yuri works; she's on par with Milk Morinaga in terms of being a yuri manga-ka icon.

I got more, but this is it for now. Wink

And all series that were mentioned at least a few times during our yuri license-request last month too. Not that its a bad thing, either. One of those was in the top 5 or 6 requested. We're still looking over the results and series from that, so stay tuned. Smile
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Bwahaha, someone else has the same idea!

I also want to add another one that's not another Yuri Hime title. Considering Sankarea is going to be released, Mitsuru Hattori has dabble into yuri before with Concerto which is a 1 volume collection of yuri one-shots with varying degrees of cute and sexy. Cool

And since you guys are going on a monster girl rush bit (by the way, great choice for Centaur's Worries), there Heart-Pounding Excitement at Mononoke Girls' Academy (Tokimeki Mononoke Jogakkou) by Banana Nangoku which is about a girl who stumbles her way into an all-girl school who are all some form of supernatural demon. Probably has one of the most bizarre use of yuri fanservice ever, but the main romance is sexy cute.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:

As for Lizzie Newton, eh... We haven't given up on the title, we're just considering our options for future releases.

I'm glad to hear it - it's one of my current favorites out of everything being published, not just by you. Smile

Quote:
Supernatural/seinen titles have a really spotty record, as CPM, CMX and almost every other publisher in the early-2000s tried their hand at them, with little success. IMO, the only kind of supernatural series that seem to catch on and resonate with fans are shounen manga, like Blue Exorcist, Nura and Soul Eater.

What about Cafe Occult? I guess it's technically a license rescue from one of those teeny companies that didn't last long, but as a borderline shonen/seinen story with interesting supernatural elements, it's pretty good. It's Korean with only 6 volumes.

Quote:

We do like and look for stuff similar to that genre/setting, so it may be something worth looking into. As for otoge manga-adaptations and the like, we do keep the genre in mind since it does have a decently large fanbase.

Awesome! I hope you do look into it. Smile

I would guess that the UtaPri manga would do pretty well over here, and I think it's only 2 volumes. But that could just be wishful thinking on my part.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
I would totally buy the UtaPri manga <3
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Id buy nichijou if it were out, its a shame bandai packed up shop as they were going to release it and also they were doing Gurren lagann which id just started collecting.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:05 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Bwahaha, someone else has the same idea!

I also want to add another one that's not another Yuri Hime title. Considering Sankarea is going to be released, Mitsuru Hattori has dabble into yuri before with Concerto which is a 1 volume collection of yuri one-shots with varying degrees of cute and sexy. Cool

And since you guys are going on a monster girl rush bit (by the way, great choice for Centaur's Worries), there Heart-Pounding Excitement at Mononoke Girls' Academy (Tokimeki Mononoke Jogakkou) by Banana Nangoku which is about a girl who stumbles her way into an all-girl school who are all some form of supernatural demon. Probably has one of the most bizarre use of yuri fanservice ever, but the main romance is sexy cute.

Interesting choices...

Honestly had no clue that Hattori put out a yuri manga, either (really enjoyed the first volume of Sankarea).

RAmmsoldat wrote:
Id buy nichijou if it were out, its a shame bandai packed up shop as they were going to release it and also they were doing Gurren lagann which id just started collecting.

I have to wonder what Robert Napton saw in the licensing of Nichijou. I'd really like to ask him one of these days. I mean, did he think it would have caught on here? Was it just because they were going to also release the anime and it made sense to pick up the manga too?

Nichijou is a scary title to look at, in all honesty. 8 volumes and still on-going, and that isn't even its major problem. Incredibly eccentric humor, mostly gag or pun-based (gag-manga have almost never done well in the US) with translations and translation-notes that'd likely haunt any set of translators and editors. This is just my personal opinion, though.

Gurren Lagann, however, probably has a better chance of getting a second lease on life.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
I have to wonder what Robert Napton saw in the licensing of Nichijou. I'd really like to ask him one of these days. I mean, did he think it would have caught on here? Was it just because they were going to also release the anime and it made sense to pick up the manga too?
In an ANNCast on the demise of Bandai, he mentioned that the Lucky Star manga did better than the anime for them. Maybe he foresaw the same thing happening?

I don't suppose previously unlicensed spinoffs have much chance of bootstrapping a rescue, do they?
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
In an ANNCast on the demise of Bandai, he mentioned that the Lucky Star manga did better than the anime for them. Maybe he foresaw the same thing happening?

I don't suppose previously unlicensed spinoffs have much chance of bootstrapping a rescue, do they?

Right, I recall that [wonderful] ANNCast. Was pretty surprised when he mentioned Lucky Star [manga] being one of their best-sellers. I can only guess; he was in the industry for ages, and was definitely one of the best.

In the context of...? Rescuing Lucky Star, you mean?
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
That's definitely what brought the idea to mind, but I was half thinking in general. Though I suppose even then LS's a bit of a special case given that even the main manga itself hasn't had more than one unlicensed volume.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
That's definitely what brought the idea to mind, but I was half thinking in general. Though I suppose even then LS's a bit of a special case given that even the main manga itself hasn't had more than one unlicensed volume.

Yeah, that is kind of an issue - the not really having much new material out and its relatively slow pace of publication (not serialization, but how long it takes for a collected tankobon release).
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:24 am Reply with quote
figures, i don't think I've ever suggested a title that hasn't gotten shot down immediately lol.

Think i'll just stop suggesting em and take what I can get, thank the gods for scan groups.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
figures, i don't think I've ever suggested a title that hasn't gotten shot down immediately lol.

Think i'll just stop suggesting em and take what I can get, thank the gods for scan groups.

It's not that we don't want to release as much manga as possible, it is just that there are a lot of restrictions and that we need to be realistic about the series we do license.

Being frank, I don't think Nichijou has a snowballs chance of getting licensed...but that is just my own personal opinion, not that of Seven Seas or any other industry-perspective.

Though as I said, the TTGL manga may have a chance. And obviously we can't say, "yeah, we're looking at this manga" or "we're thinking of bidding on it/we are trying to license it now". From a fan's P.O.V. I can understand how inane and frustrating it may all seem, but there are reasons for that. I don't mean to slight anyone or discourage, and I really do appreciate hearing fan input and requests.

There are plenty of series we do look at that are based off of requests, even if we don't end up licensing them all (we couldn't possibly get everything).
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

It's not that we don't want to release as much manga as possible, it is just that there are a lot of restrictions and that we need to be realistic about the series we do license.

Being frank, I don't think Nichijou has a snowballs chance of getting licensed...but that is just my own personal opinion, not that of Seven Seas or any other industry-perspective.

Though as I said, the TTGL manga may have a chance. And obviously we can't say, "yeah, we're looking at this manga" or "we're thinking of bidding on it/we are trying to license it now". From a fan's P.O.V. I can understand how inane and frustrating it may all seem, but there are reasons for that. I don't mean to slight anyone or discourage, and I really do appreciate hearing fan input and requests.

There are plenty of series we do look at that are based off of requests, even if we don't end up licensing them all (we couldn't possibly get everything).

nah its not just your opinion I've heard it elsewhere and i know y'all are out to make money on these things so licensing stuff you don't think would sell would be silly i just feel that the stuff i enjoy gets shot down when i suggest it.

A lot of the time things i like get picked up without me ever having mentioned em like how vertical are releasing wolfsmund so im feeling like there's really no need to suggest anything its jsut i had been reading nichijou online and figured while you were taking suggestions id try my luck.

Really sucks that bandai shut up shop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5