• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children Delayed, Possible Theatrical Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RodimusBen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote
I definitely do plan on buying it on DVD when it comes out, but I'm not broken-hearted about this, because I have already seen the movie. What baffles me is that they would pass up on all the potential Christmas sales on the DVD to take a gamble on the idea of a theatrical release. Seems to me that AC is the kind of film more likely to end up as a Christmas gift to that otaku in the family.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:09 am Reply with quote
RodimusBen wrote:
I definitely do plan on buying it on DVD when it comes out, but I'm not broken-hearted about this, because I have already seen the movie. What baffles me is that they would pass up on all the potential Christmas sales on the DVD to take a gamble on the idea of a theatrical release. Seems to me that AC is the kind of film more likely to end up as a Christmas gift to that otaku in the family.

I'm curious about it myself. If it goes to the theaters the only people I think who would go and watch it would be anime fans and people who loved the game...But those people will probably be willing to buy the movie anyways without even seeing it first and having it sold for Christmas would be great because it'd be sold for more because of Christmas shoppers getting anime for the kids or husbands or wives..etc. But it's there decision I guess they think it'll be better this way and they probably think like what I wrote people are going to buy it anyways.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:
Advent Children was painful to sit through. BUT I think due to the constant special effects factor, perhaps it would work much better on the big screen. Someone said it wasn't meant for the big screen, but it was screened at several film festivals before the DVD release, so I'm sure it'd be fine.

For the sake of fairness, I'm going to rebut this and other negative opinions of AC for the benefit of the uninformed. If you sit down to watch AC with a firm grasp on the fact that it is NOT meant as a theatrical release, that it IS based exclusively on a video game and that it requires an open mind, then there is no pain involved. In fact, this is one of the few movies I've seen lately that, by the end, I was ready to shamelessly promote on the nearest street corner. If nothing else, even stern critics should appreciate the incredible advances made in CG animation which are showcased in AC. This is NO "Spirits Within," folks.

In any case, let's suspend our various opinions of AC until we have the legal experience to back them up, hmm?
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I practically waited for this to be anounced. There was just no way a November date was going to be made. I'll definitely get it, whenever that may be.

As for the possible theatrical release, I don't know if that'll go through or not. I think it would be nice if I could go see some serious animation on the big screen, but that's not really on my list at the moment.
Anime10473

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
DriftRoot wrote:
Cheesemon wrote:
Advent Children was painful to sit through. BUT I think due to the constant special effects factor, perhaps it would work much better on the big screen. Someone said it wasn't meant for the big screen, but it was screened at several film festivals before the DVD release, so I'm sure it'd be fine.

For the sake of fairness, I'm going to rebut this and other negative opinions of AC for the benefit of the uninformed. If you sit down to watch AC with a firm grasp on the fact that it is NOT meant as a theatrical release, that it IS based exclusively on a video game and that it requires an open mind, then there is no pain involved. In fact, this is one of the few movies I've seen lately that, by the end, I was ready to shamelessly promote on the nearest street corner. If nothing else, even stern critics should appreciate the incredible advances made in CG animation which are showcased in AC. This is NO "Spirits Within," folks.

In any case, let's suspend our various opinions of AC until we have the legal experience to back them up, hmm?

I think it's a bad idea for it to be released in theaters. It wasn't meant to be on a Theater screen. Even the creators said it wasn't. Especially the fast moving action scenes (though it might still look good). I remember someone commented that it didn't look as great as it should of been because it was blown up to fit the theater screen so it wasn't as clear.

Well if they do release it in theaters I probably won't see it. I think I'll wait for it to come on DVD (I've waited yrs for this movie and so I can wait a couple of more months)

*whispers*
Though I did find a Fansub of the Movie (it's very tempting). But I will wait..........*desperately begs* "Please hurry and release it!!!" .......*mentally yells at self* "YOU WILL WAIT" "YOU ARE NOT WEAK!! FIGHT!"

*sighs* "So yeah I'll wait..but I'm not happy about it." *pouts*
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Surprise, Surprise:

Sony to Suspend Making Antipiracy CDs

Hmm, so does this mean they also put Anti-Piracy software on their DVD's and they delayed the release due to this?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:56 pm Reply with quote
these banner ads from WB and Hanna-Barbera are really getting on my nerves.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:17 am Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
WTF! This is like the hundreth time already. I am not a big FF fan or anything, but I wanted to see this movie and I am getting tired of this already, I can only imagine the frustartion of the big fans of this.

It's only been delayed twice. And not only that, but it's well known that the November date wasn't the initial release date months ago.
Phoeptar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:24 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOO[clip]

One of the DVD releases I was looking forward to the most out of this entire damned year! the greatest [expletive] action film ever made! AGAIN! I MUST WAIT LONGER! AAARRRGH!!!!!!

... #%@&!
t9999clint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Phantom14 wrote:
WTF! This is like the hundreth time already. I am not a big FF fan or anything, but I wanted to see this movie and I am getting tired of this already, I can only imagine the frustartion of the big fans of this.

It's only been delayed twice. And not only that, but it's well known that the November date wasn't the initial release date months ago.

This movie was delayed WAAAAAY more than two times. It's been delayed ever scince the started making the dang thing. They said some time in december of 2004 then spring of 2005 then summer, then christmas, and now jarnuary and still it has been delayed once again!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:42 pm Reply with quote
It amuses me how many people haven't just stolen Advent Children off the internet already, instead of getting their hopes up and getting all hyped up about a show that will likely leave them unsatisfied.

Seriously, this movie is rentable at best, and not even the "zOMG BISHI BISHI GOODNESS KAWII NEKO!!!" factor can keep people interested for that long.

Oh, and spoiler[despite what your fanfiction may depict there is no homoeroticism in the movie.]
KinFreon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
Oh, and spoiler[despite what your fanfiction may depict there is no homoeroticism in the movie.]

Sure could've fooled me, chief.
zetagod

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Well we all know if it does have a limited theatrical release it will only be in LA, New York City, and possibly Vancouver. If we are really really lucky it might hit Chicago. Personally I can't justify driving 4 hours to see a movie. Considering I didn't drive the 30 minutes to go see Cowboy Bebop when it was in theaters.

As for the DVD release I will buy it whenever it comes out but right now I am more interested in Dragon Warrior VIII ( yes I know it is going to be called Dragon Quest but old habits die hard as they say) along with the FFXII demo. And who knows maybe FFXII demo disk will have something about Advent Children on it like maybe some official announcement of a release date or theatrical release.
SFC_Omicron

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:11 pm Reply with quote
...You said it!!

...I have been patient, anticipating the release of FFVII:AC, and I've even gone so far as to not watch a downloaded version of it, even contemplating downloading it at all. I can't believe it's been held back this long! This is Final Fantasy VII we're talking about. Lord knows how many sites about this one game have been made, and how much thought people have done into finding the deeper meanings of this game (refer to FF7citadel.com to see what I mean).

...Now, a theatrical release is one thing, but they'd better have the DVD release out as soon as they finishing rolling it in theaters. There are probably thousands, if not millions, of Final Fantasy VII fans foaming at the mouth for a sequel, a sequel that is revolutionary in so many ways. First off, it's the first Final Fantasy game-based movie sequel, which is a big thing in its own right, since X-2 was the only other FF sequel, and was only a game. Second, it adds a whole new chapter of questions in regards to how this movie answers the questions left unanswered at the end of FF7.

...I'd go on, but I ran out of things to rant about...

...In any event, they'd better not pull it back anymore. I'm starting to lose faith in a company that brought games to a whole new level in experience. I'm sure said company wouldn't want any of their followers to lose faith in them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
B.K.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Square Enix recently said there will be an important Compliation of Final Fantasy VII presentation at E3. From the look of things, maybe they're going to announce the release date for the English version of Advent Children then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6