• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Risky Viz-ness

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote
If Neon Alley is any indication. Nura season 2 is TV-14, totally uncut. So who knows how they judge the ratings. In Accel World however, the dub has quite the potty mouth. "fudge" is said multiple times which is why I guess they did that. I wonder if Warner Bros being a distribution partner has anything to do with it. I always see Viz titles in the Walmart here in Long Island so maybe they try to be excessively careful so a kid doesn't pick it up.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
If Neon Alley is any indication. Nura season 2 is TV-14, totally uncut. So who knows how they judge the ratings. In Accel World however, the dub has quite the potty mouth. "fudge" is said multiple times which is why I guess they did that. I wonder if Warner Bros being a distribution partner has anything to do with it. I always see Viz titles in the Walmart here in Long Island so maybe they try to be excessively careful so a kid doesn't pick it up.

Are you sure? Do you remember how it was different than what is on vizanime.com? In any case, the Neon Alley service itself is restricted to 18+. You cannot use Neon Alley if you are under 18, hence the reason why they show Berserk, Zetman, etc (even though as I mentioned, that restriction is not even legally required) However given how they've treated other titles like Rinne LaGrange and older titles, I'll be surprised if they release Nura S2 on home video at TV-14 and uncensored. But Nura S2 isn't even announced yet for home video
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

Are you sure? Do you remember how it was different than what is on vizanime.com?

My bad I misread what you said, I had no idea there was extensive censorship in the second season. Are there any specific episodes?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
My bad I misread what you said, I had no idea there was extensive censorship in the second season. Are there any specific episodes?

It wasn't extensive. Only episode 7 as far as I can tell. I guess we'll have to wait another year before we find out how Viz will handle the home video release
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
@MeggieMay

VIZ's biggest blunder with Monster was waiting so long to release it. I give them credit for trying to stimulate demand with the televised showings on channels like SyFy, but that was not an appropriate vehicle for a show like Monster. The real market for Monster were the people who had watched fansubs when the show aired in Japan. Those people were long gone when the show was finally released on DVD some half-a-dozen years later.

Perhaps, as you suggest, these decisions represented a lack of understanding of the American anime marketplace, a problem most Japanese distributors seem to share. VIZ in particular, though, was especially blind. Who else would expect a show about teen-aged boys playing an arcane foreign board game to be so appealing that American consumers might be expected to buy nearly twenty DVDs at $25 a pop?
partysmores

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

What's strange is before the Accel World dub, the show was TV-14 on Viz Anime's site, but due to the dub, the show is now TV-MA, despite the fact that the dub isn't even on there, and Hulu doesn't restrict it...
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
bleachj0j wrote:

It wasn't extensive. Only episode 7 as far as I can tell. I guess we'll have to wait another year before we find out how Viz will handle the home video release
Err...that says .BD version and the stream on Viz anime is the broadcast version which probably be had that scene censored for the tv broadcast version so I'm pretty sure it's not viz's doing.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
@MeggieMay: holy wall of text Shocked

since I think you were referring to my reply to partysmores and a couple things afterward in the discussion, I'll just touch on those. That's where I mentioned Viz is currently the ONLY anime publisher to embed the warnings into the cover itself [snip]

First Razz I know, I have a bad habit of not posting often and then when I do, really posting a lot at one go. Sorry about that everyone - it's just my style Wink Back to the subject, I was really replying to the theme in the thread verse one particular poster. I was also thinking more about the back of the box warnings verse your specific issue with VIZ's front of the box labeling. The VIZ style you're referring to is very old school. It's a tad weird but not really the issue I was thinking about. However, you're posting all those Sentai covers shows I was a wrong on what I was talking about. I was trying to say it was really hard to find anything that isn't rated TV MA these days but leave it to Sentai to not give a d*mn about lawsuits (eh, OK that has some multiple unintentional meaning Laughing ) Then again, you don't see Sentai in Brick and Mortar stores quite as much as you do VIZ and Funimation (who I was more familiar with on the back of the box ratings) but I have seen them and MB still in my local Hastings so my points been disproved. BTW, I do know all of that stuff about in house ratings. I just want to hear more on the subject from people who are really involved with it. If we don't ask about this type of stuff, we may not get it in future podcasts.
Quote:
I bet Nura Season 2, set 1 on home video will also have the Mature Warning label in the front cover, unless they decide to leave it censored like it is now on vizanime, and who knows if Viz will do the same to Magi in Europe where they have the rights.

Ok, what's censored on this show? If you tell me I can check and see if the Neon Alley version is censored or not. I also hadn't realized Neon Alley was 18+ rated. I probably just skipped over that when I signed up (I'm a big Tiger & Bunny fan and joined right out of the gate on that one) because I'm way past that being a issue Wink . Stop: I just saw your later posting with the link. I do believe they did show most of that unedited, if not all of it! I know that the Hagoromo Gitsune part wasn't edited (I remember thinking "whoa - lot of a** there Laughing "), and I'm thinking the earlier stuff in the hot springs wasn't edited either, though they may have "steamed" up a small bit (I remember some boobage but just how much, not so much - I've watched a few of these last few weeks half asleep due to when it shows in the CT zone). I'm not 100% sure, however, I do remember that episode and remember I thought to myself it would have to be edited if it ever showed on Cable/Network. So I think it wasn't edited or not edited to the point it wouldn't have to be re-edited if I remember thinking that at the time.
Quote:
Technically the FCC is not involved. It only has legal power over public airwaves, meaning terrestrial broadcast TV and radio. In fact, the only time technically, any law applies is in obscenity (but in that case, ratings do not matter anyways) But some private parties censor or restrict various media when they are not required to due to various perceived pressure or playing it safe with audience. CNN censors nudity and f-bombs even though it does not have to, for example. However, things are admittedly more nuanced since there is actually political pressure which I won't get into here, as well as the usual populist, prudish pressure from some conservatives, progressives, and soccer-moms against such things. Dragonball caused controversy and Viz censored that. Both the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime and manga had their publication halted subsequently censored due to Egyptian/Islamic protestation. Most Japanese are concerned about saving face and almost no Japanese company, which Viz is, stands up or pushes back like George Kamitani of Vanillaware did for Dragon's Crown

Correct on the FCC and home video releases. I mentioned the FCC only because I was tossing around terms there and anyone who didn't know what S&P was might not get what I was saying verse the FCC really having anything to do with the subject of ratings on DVD boxes. However, the issue of Cable not being regulated by the FCC is a MYTH. It's a big one I use to believe as well but I have, over the last 7+, years covered in other threads here at ANN. Seeing my postings are sporadic I couldn't dig those postings up, let alone expect anyone else to but here's a quick overview, via the FCC website. The FCC actually does have the legal right to regulate explicit content on cable TV - they just haven't done it so far. At this point a lot of the self censoring by the Cable networks, like CNN, is actually to try and keep Congress from getting a bee in their proverbial bonnet and demanding the FCC start cracking down on stuff. Here's the specific information on that

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/obscenity-indecency-profanity-faq
FCC FAQ wrote:
Do the FCC's rules apply to cable and satellite programming? In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.

yuna49 wrote:
@MeggieMay

VIZ's biggest blunder with Monster was waiting so long to release it. I give them credit for trying to stimulate demand with the televised showings on channels like SyFy, but that was not an appropriate vehicle for a show like Monster. The real market for Monster were the people who had watched fansubs when the show aired in Japan. Those people were long gone when the show was finally released on DVD some half-a-dozen years later.

Perhaps, as you suggest, these decisions represented a lack of understanding of the American anime marketplace, a problem most Japanese distributors seem to share. VIZ in particular, though, was especially blind. Who else would expect a show about teen-aged boys playing an arcane foreign board game to be so appealing that American consumers might be expected to buy nearly twenty DVDs at $25 a pop?

For me, the issue of VIZ putting out Monster so late in the game isn't quite the same one as the problems that happened after the put the first box set out. I agree, they waited too long to begin with but then again that hasn't stopped older shows coming out and doing OK (like Princess Knight and Rose of Versailles). Also, just what held up Monster all that time isn't completely know. I do seem to remember part of the issue was on the Japanese side of things, so roasting VIZ America over it seems a bit unfair. For me, my main thought on VIZ's issues in my original post was that the market changed big time at that point. None of the larger companies where able to hit the breaks fast enough, with only VIZ and Funimation even making it out the other side Confused . Bandai and Geneon are gone and ADV was restructured into three or four new companies after a huge mess, even though ADV had almost maneuvered around what happened. I think we all know VIZ mucked up the Hikaru No Go and MÄR release and as I said, I don't expect anyone to forget that any more than I have. However, the one thing VIZ did do with those two shows that may not be remembered is they managed to get them into streaming and they didn't totally disappear like many of the Geneon and Bandai shows ended up doing. VIZ has real issues but if we take a step back they really have survived and have done a few positive things over the last five years. VIZ should get a bit of credit for that, at the very least.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
First Razz I know, I have a bad habit of not posting often and then when I do, really posting a lot at one go. Sorry about that everyone - it's just my style Wink

It's not the total amount, it's the wall o' text. Paragraphs are our friends, don't be afraid to use the return key.

Seriously, for those of us with less than great eyesight, trying to follow a massive block of unbroken text is headache inducing, and the only reason I read all that is because it's you, and you usually have intelligent stuff to say.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
First Razz I know, I have a bad habit of not posting often and then when I do, really posting a lot at one go. Sorry about that everyone - it's just my style Wink

It's not the total amount, it's the wall o' text. Paragraphs are our friends, don't be afraid to use the return key.

I actually write my posts in smaller paragraphs and then put it all together because I have been complained at royally in the past about too many paragraphs because it makes the posts too long length/size wise. I've also run into the forum having a size/length limits. Too long/too many breaks and it would cut off the bottom. Now I'm not sure if this is still a issue or not (it could have been fixed in a software update at some point) or if I'm mixing mixing this forums up with another but I really do think it was this one that use to do that to me (there was at least one other forum that would do this to me as well, IIRC).

Quote:
Seriously, for those of us with less than great eyesight, trying to follow a massive block of unbroken text is headache inducing, and the only reason I read all that is because it's you, and you usually have intelligent stuff to say.

Oh I hear you on the eyesight! I have problems with reading this style as well but have learned to grit my teeth and put up with it Sad . I've also never been too thrilled at doing this style because I like to have my ideas broken down by paragraphs (and I do need to try and put some of it together or I really do end up with these itty bitty paragraphs at times Embarassed ). Unfortunately, forum software's in general don't seem to let you get a good idea how it's really going to look even when you do a lot of previewing (and I do tend to use preview a lot). I'm sure some of it is a browser issue, as well (I know I end up setting my font size up at times in my browsers due to my eyes getting worse as time goes on). I'll try and break things up a bit more in the future and see if I run into any more problems. Thanks for the positive comment Smile .

Oh, I almost forgot. configspace tonights episode (S2 Episode 13) had more Awashima nudity in it. It didn't look like anything was edited, though I'm starting to think Awashima areola and nipples aren't showing up like they do in the BD picture you posted (but spoiler[the kid in the episode is clearly sucking on one at one point, so why the would be editing this in this manner, I haven't a clue]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
VIZ has real issues but if we take a step back they really have survived and have done a few positive things over the last five years. VIZ should get a bit of credit for that, at the very least.

You talk like you COULD (I'm not saying DO) work for Viz. Let's do a quick breakdown of the current surviving "major" anime companies:
-FUNimation (DBZ)
-Sentai (formerly ADV, Evangelion)
-Viz (Naruto, Bleach)

The surviving companies are still here because they each have (at least) one HUGE cash chow that they've been able to milk for YEARS. (Bandai debatably did also, and you could also argue that Bandai COULD still be around if HQ hadn't shuttered them)

Look at the titles Viz has "screwed up" (in the minds of fans): Monster, Tiger & Bunny, Hikaru no Go, etc. What do they have in common? They are NICHE "anime fan" shows. Do they have a hardcore, dedicated fan following? Yes. Could they likely have done ok (not gangbusters, but "ok") if they'd been marketed properly? Who knows, I'd argue yes, but no one can say for sure.

FUNimation has proven itself the most nimble company who is most adept at meeting market needs. Their big money-maker is a kid friendly show that appeals to young boys and they've made piles of money on it. But they also carry LOTS of fan targeted shows that they understand and market appropriately (generally speaking).

Sentai started fan focused, got too big for their britches and chased Hollywood dollars, they appear to have (painfully) recalibrated and gone back to serving the niche market that anime in America is.

Viz seems to have one setting: "mainstream or bust". Something is either all things to all people and gonna make piles of cash in Walmart distribution, or it is a steaming pile of crap that is loved only by freakish nerds who have money but not enough to buy me a plane so 'F' em. (the exceptions being the random vanity project classics that certain Viz execs have tried to wish into mainstream titles like "Galaxy Express 999") You can tell me that Viz "is trying to work with fans", but they've said that several times before over the last decade plus. At this point the onus is on them to prove it.

(hell, I think they botched the crap out of digi-Shounen Jump by being iOS exclusive for years, plus being horrific in how they handle it. I bought a tablet mainly FOR reading manga and their stupid app has NEVER been downloadable on it (I admit that I did not buy an iPad mainly because I do not like Apple products, but I did not expect the distance between iOS app and Android app to be measurable in YEARS) and they CONTINUE to lose potentially hundreds of dollars from me by not giving me a way to buy manga for it. (to be fair, Yen Press is similarly bass-ackwards on this issue) I've even tried to get kindle versions and "no dice". And I've contacted Viz about this issue and basically have always gotten the corporate version of "sucks to be you")
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
And I've contacted Viz about this issue and basically have always gotten the corporate version of "sucks to be you")

Wait, you got a reply from them? Shocked I always assumed they had it set up so that all mail not addressed to a particular person went straight to the spam box or in the trash.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
VIZ has real issues but if we take a step back they really have survived and have done a few positive things over the last five years. VIZ should get a bit of credit for that, at the very least.

You talk like you COULD (I'm not saying DO) work for Viz. Let's do a quick breakdown of the current surviving "major" anime

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I found this actually more funny than I usually would have because of stuff going on in my real life at the moment but let me be clear. The last time I was anywhere near Northern California was when I was born. Throw in I mentioned I lived in the CT/Central Time Zone (you live in it as well, in case you didn't realize it) and you just brighten up my evening with this mistake.

Anyway, I keep saying I'm not letting VIZ off the hook at this point carte blanche at this point for past problems but I'm just not the type to hold grudges forever in most cases, particularly in a case like this where I'm seeing improvements. At this point the only anime distributor who hasn't ticked me off to some degree or another at some point is Nozomi and Discotek and the latter I've never bought anything from so far. Life too short to wallow in this type of subject.
ProsesRoses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Hey Viz,

Did you ask Canadian children channels? I think Teletoon would probably say yes to Tiger & Bunny. They are 90% animated series and they have a teen/adult block (9pm-4am). YTV might say yes too.
[YTV made Sailor Moon really popular by airing it during the 4-6pm slot in Canada, than went popular in US]
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

You talk like you COULD (I'm not saying DO) work for Viz. Let's do a quick breakdown of the current surviving "major" anime companies:
-FUNimation (DBZ)
-Sentai (formerly ADV, Evangelion)
-Viz (Naruto, Bleach)

The surviving companies are still here because they each have (at least) one HUGE cash chow that they've been able to milk for YEARS. (Bandai debatably did also, and you could also argue that Bandai COULD still be around if HQ hadn't shuttered them)

Look at the titles Viz has "screwed up" (in the minds of fans): Monster, Tiger & Bunny, Hikaru no Go, etc. What do they have in common? They are NICHE "anime fan" shows. Do they have a hardcore, dedicated fan following? Yes. Could they likely have done ok (not gangbusters, but "ok") if they'd been marketed properly? Who knows, I'd argue yes, but no one can say for sure.

Wait, in what way have they screwed Tiger and Bunny? I don't know if noticed how much they were advertising the show at cons and at their movie theater. And if they're mainstream or bust the why did they complete titles like Nana, Honey and Clover, and Lagrange? Why license Blood Lad when even they said is more for core anime fans?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7