• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Death And Rebirth Of Answerman

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moshi-moshi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 am Reply with quote
Well, I was getting uneasy feeling after some silence from the Answerman column, and here we are.
I got hooked on ANN site after reading your column a couple of times, Brian. After Bamboo, you are, or were, most entertaining writer on this site, There is definite humour and charm to you that shows through and can I say it - you come across as such a nice person, You are going to be missed.
Best of luck to you with your future plans!
Msag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
Like the commenter before me, I got hooked onto ANN simply by following your column here Brian. I may have chosen to read a FEW reviews with it, but really your feature was pretty much the only thing I was reading back in the day, till I decided to experiment with the other features too...
I have to say I really regret not emailing you any question or Answerfan response now, because I enjoyed reading your column so much. Plus, I learnt a hell of a lot about the anime industry and subculture from here too (oh, and lots of neat anime recommendations from you too like Haibane Renmei amongst others so thanks for that!).
Best of luck with your future endeavours.

... btw, I'm STOKED Justin will be the one to take over this column! Definitely one of my favourite writers here on ANN, and I can't wait to see what he does with Answerman. Very Happy
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:39 am Reply with quote
Why must your last column be wasted on harem anime? Anime cry
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Let's break LWA's profits down to BD sales to see how it would stack up to Japanese otaku sales.

As of right now LWA has generated $419,385 USD. Convering that into Yen gives us about 42,000,000. The average BD volume retails around for maybe maybe 6500 Yen. One cour of anime will usually have 6 volumes in it, which totals around 39,000 Yen for an entire otaku sale.

If you divide the 42 million by that and assume you would get the same amount of sales rather than the number being inflated due to it being a donation, you would total around 1000 per volume sales. That is considered a huge flop and would never fund another season of a show.

LWA only works because they asked for that much money for 15 minutes of animation. The west might be able to pay for 15 minutes of animation, but expecting them to fund a whole cour like the Japanese otaku do is out of the question. The LWA kick-starter would have to reach about 2 million to break the Manabi line. And unfortunately, given how many people donated larger figures like 10K to balance out the 3 dollar donations, I don't think they would make as much as they did even if they sold BDs, because most people aren't going to buy multiple copies just to fund it, so in actuality I think BD sales would be far lower than the kickstarter amount, not when the initial investment to even contribute to a show is actually 6000 yen, the price of a new video game essentially, not a dollar.

I like your analysis, but I do somewhat disagree with your implications.

I don't believe that if there was a Japanese Kickstarter, Japanese fans would be able to fund it way better. After all, although Little Witch Academia's Kickstarter is advertised mostly to Western fans, Japanese fans can still pledge to it, and most of the actual show promotion is going on in Japan, and yet they clearly aren't doing so in droves. Although the LWA backers are primarily Western, it's still an international effort.

Also, I think you're comparing apples to oranges-- a single OVA episode is getting $400,000, and yes, that's just nowhere near enough for a full series... but that doesn't mean we know that funding a one-cours series would be impossible, because that's not what this Kickstarter is. After all, it's not advertised as such, and while fans may be willing to put down much more money to get a one-cours, they're obviously mostly not going to do so for this Kickstarter. It would be a different story if they had had a stretch goal with the possibility of making LWA a full series, but Trigger's said that this isn't going to be the case. We simply don't know if a full series of something could be funded because it hasn't even been tried yet.

Also, I think your math is a little off. Yes, a BD sale is 6500-- but that doesn't all go to the creators. At least in America, something like half of that price goes to a retailer, and of course there are other fees that occur when you have a middleman. I've heard it's much higher in Japan, but I've no verification, but I seriously doubt it's less. Thus, paying $65 for a Kickstarter is way different from paying $65 in a store. I think because of this, the equivalent units sold have to be closer to 2000 at the very least-- and this is with 2+ weeks remaining in the Kickstarter. By this preliminary math (that surely simplifies a tons of matters that we don't even know about, but I digress), I think it COULD easily Manabi Line it by your equivalent standards after all. But of course, 2 million dollars is much more reasonable price for funding an anime.

That said, I disagree but I think you bring up a valid, reasonably-argued point.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:48 am Reply with quote
Even assuming his number's correct, the ero-anime market manages to sustain itself with sales nowhere near the 5K mark(AFAIK) - if anything, this just proves that any production aimed at western dollars will have to drip-feed its market. We shouldn't really expect the west to be able to recreate the TV broadcast, home video profits model when it's only a recent development even in Japan.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Five years... Time does sure fly by, doesn't it? I still remember when Zac was doing Answerman, filling each new entry with a bunny picture. Anyway, congrats on a successful run of Answerman, Brian!

Just remember this, though: You've relied on Justin every now & then, so don't be surprised if he calls on you at any time... Even you had Zac take your place for a week on rare occassion.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Goodbye, Brian. You were the only Answerman I ever really knew, so I'm gonna miss ya.
sunflower01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the hard work, Brian. I haven't actually been around reading ANN columns for that long, but Hey, Answerman! has always been entertaining. And looking at those clamours for a Rosario+Vampire sequel, it can't have been easy dealing with the fans. Wink Good luck with your future endeavors.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I don't believe that if there was a Japanese Kickstarter, Japanese fans would be able to fund it way better.

I'm not comparing it to a Japanese Kickstarter, though, I'm comparing it to about actual sales of already existing products otaku have seen on TV and want to buy. Kickstarter would do worse because people are less likely to throw money at a product they have no idea they'll even enjoy or not. Even the most successful Kickstarters for games pale in comparison to actual game sales and profits and is mostly reserved for indie titles. Crowdfunding is never going to replace the traditional market for any medium who's budget is in the millions. My numbers don't take into consideration money made from other avenues like merchandise and music promotions and deals with OP/ED artists.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
There is a Japanese animation crowdfunding site: http://www.anipipo.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Best wishes for the future, Brian.

I just thought I would mention here that there was a post in another thread from Zac regarding the change in Answerman. According to that post (apparently there was also a Twitter announcement) Justin Sevakis will be doing a "stripped down" version of the column with emphasis on industry-related questions, and there will be no more "Answerfans".

My main concern is that I hope that this will not mean the end for Justin's "Pile of Shame" articles. I was really sad when "Buried Treasure/Garbage" ended, then "Pile of Shame" came along. I'm always interested in hearing about obscure titles and have enjoyed tracking down and watching some of the ones he has written about.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Right now the plan is to continue both Pile of Shame and Answerman.

The new version of the column will likely only be a small handful of questions - 2-3 per week - and nothing else.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the ride, it has been quite enjoyable.

Are you going to make it to Otakon this year?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The new version of the column will likely only be a small handful of questions - 2-3 per week - and nothing else.

That's hardly "revamping it and making it better than ever".

I guess Brian lied.

frown.jpg
NidhoggRocketman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
I would like to express my best wishes for Brian, and I would also like to express surprise that that many people liked Rosario + Vampire that much. I thought it was okay, kind of funny sometimes, but really nothing special. I would rather have seen Funimation publish the second season of Moonlight Mile...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8