• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Kenya Boy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:43 am Reply with quote
You've totally sold me on it. Between this and the Mushi films, I'm going to have some great summer viewing. This brings up a good idea for Mike's column actually; when live-action directors make anime. Then we could hear more about Pink Jacket Lupin!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
What I found interesting was the director welcomed amateur animators to join the project, and three big names in the future applied and passed the audition: Mamoru Hosoda, Satoshi Urushihara, and Michio Fukuda. According to Japanese Wikipedia, Hosoda didn't join the staff eventually, but Urushihara took part in the rhino vs. hippo fighting sequence.

jsevakis wrote:
Interesting. It looks like this was done through Toei Pictures, not Toei Animation. (They're completely separate companies, confusingly.)

According to several Japanese websites, the movie was animated by Tōei Dōga (東映動画), the formal title of Toei Animation before 1998. The lineup page of Toei Animation has the movie on the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Faceman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:45 am Reply with quote
The HTML formatting for the page is off. The ANN Copyright text appears where the standard right column would be located. And the Recent Articles is moved to the bottom of the page. Shows for me in Firefox and IE9.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
This looks very awesome, but I'm not sure it (or anything) could beat Garzey's Wing.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
This looks very awesome, but I'm not sure it (or anything) could beat Garzey's Wing.

See as how this is a Kadakowa picture, Kenya Boy at least has the benefit of looking "good" art and animation wise (ignoring the amateur directorial and cinematography gaffes Justin mentions); Garzey's Wing on the other hand will always have its stiff, cheap mid 90s OAV animation; best example being that flailing creature Chris shoots down in the beginning Laughing
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm truly loving this column. I couldn't help but laugh after reading what this movie was about. See this is the type of stuff I wouldn't mind seeing. In a way these are the types of films that either you did up or you leave buried. But with high production values it's hard to believe that it's "crap" at the same time. Seems this was definitely an acid trip and then they get "House" director Nobuhiko OBAYASHI in on this. Oh man. I saw "House" one year at the IFC here in NYC and I was so thrilled when 'Criterion' picked it up for release here in the states. I actually own it. But man I wouldn't mind seeing this film for a good laugh. I know you might want to forget it but be surprising if one day a certain company decides to license it.

Kenya Boy is truly Japanese. This film has quite a bit of old stereo types that you find in classic b&w movies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't even understand how they could release this like this - was the budget about to go bankrupt so they just shoved it out the door and hoped to make some money back? Why would anyone bother to do a dub? Or subs for that matter? This is just mindblowing. Smile

I took a quick look at the Greek version linked above (you really don't need to know what anyone's saying) and there was this scene with crocodiles chasing the father in a river, and it was all just sketched in line drawings - until the people (in color) on the boat threw him a line, and then he's suddenly in full color, although the rest of the shot he's in remains in b/w line drawings. I honestly don't think that was an artistic choice to allude to the different worlds of being chased by crocs in a river (sketchy) vs being saved by humans on a boat (living color!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2