• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blockbuster Near Bankrupt

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:48 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD, their Anime section was just growing too. I see major cutbacks coming.

Wow, I never knew BLockbuster was suffering that much, poor them.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Mozilla wrote:
OH MY GOD, their Anime section was just growing too. I see major cutbacks coming.

Well, it's kind of hard to compete with online rentals like Netflix.

No late fees? Large libraries not limited to what is locally available? I'm in.

*is waiting for her Trigun DVD as we speak*
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:53 pm Reply with quote
... WHERE THE HELL DID THIS COME FROM!? Shocked

Anyway, it seems to be all about the online rental now, maybe that's why... I wonder what'll replace the one near my place...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, let's see. With DVD sales going up like crazy, rentals would be going down. And then there's items like Netflix.

Yeah, the signs were all there.
noneko_Mamimi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Mozilla wrote:

Yeah, they were starting to get more anime, which was nice. I had no clue they were dying either. But, still, my initial reaction was to laugh when I read that they are going bankrupt. It's kind of like a feeling of revenge for their late fees.....
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Netflix is awesome, Blockbuster doesn't stand a chance against them. Confused
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
It's funny, I remember they ran a no late fee promation, but they charge restocking fee if you turn it after a certain amount of time.
RX-78

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I am not suprised to hear this. Where I live, the two main video stores: Blockbuster and Hollywood video are almost always empty. Compare their business to seven or eight years ago and you can see the difference in their popularity. I remember Friday nights when I go for VHS tapes like Wicked City, Poltergeist Report, Fatal Fury, Akira, Kite, and video games; they were packed with lines. It is sad to see them suffering, but times are a changing and they either have to change or go. Arrow
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of which, our blockbuster just went out of business where I live, which is in the Erie area. Hm..
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, keep in mind that even if they file for bankruptcy, they'll probably stay open. But this doesn't come as much of a surprise. More people are turning to Netflix, and increasingly, more and more people are turning to bittorrent to check out movies. =/
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
First reaction: Shocked

Second raction after reading the thread: Now I see....

As people have said the online movie buisness has started to take over, so yeah, it's to be expected.
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
It's funny, I remember they ran a no late fee promation, but they charge restocking fee if you turn it after a certain amount of time.

Really? I just rented .Hack//Mutation and returned it 3 days after the due date. Ah welll, there's always a catch to a good bait.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, damn...

Time to find a new place to rent my stuff from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kaiser Wilhelm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I feel the need to give input as I work for Blockbuster and this affects me directly.
First off, I have seen this coming for a little while. With people not spending as much money right now, non-essentials like renting movies is obviously going to be the first to go. Business at my store specifically has been very bad.
Secondly, to everyone who thinks Netflix is gonna be the demise of Blockbuster I say just wait and see. Blockbuster has started an online program similar to Netflix for the same prices as Netflix but with more benefits. Like the fact that with our program you recieve 2 free in-store rentals every month as well as your usual movies mailed to you. Also you get the movies faster with our program. Blockbuster has 4 major distribution centers compared to Netflix's one as well as 2200 stores nationwide that also are used to ship movies. If Blockbuster wants to beat Netflix, all it has to do is try.
Mozilla
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Kaiser Wilhelm wrote:
I feel the need to give input as I work for Blockbuster and this affects me directly.
First off, I have seen this coming for a little while. With people not spending as much money right now, non-essentials like renting movies is obviously going to be the first to go. Business at my store specifically has been very bad.
Secondly, to everyone who thinks Netflix is gonna be the demise of Blockbuster I say just wait and see. Blockbuster has started an online program similar to Netflix for the same prices as Netflix but with more benefits. Like the fact that with our program you recieve 2 free in-store rentals every month as well as your usual movies mailed to you. Also you get the movies faster with our program. Blockbuster has 4 major distribution centers compared to Netflix's one as well as 2200 stores nationwide that also are used to ship movies. If Blockbuster wants to beat Netflix, all it has to do is try.

Well, personally I don't trust Netflix, even if they are for real. Netflix is fighting back, I've seen so many of their banners and sales vendors at the mall trying to get me to sign up.

I support blockbuster, if only I didn't get so many restocking fees.

I'm still renting from Blockbuster, their employees are nice and they actually advise you on some perks which may cut some of your rental costs, i.e., that Blockbuster Discount Book Thing for 10 Bucks, Totally worth it. I rented a game for like 3 bucks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5