• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Dense Destiny

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I’d also really like to see a better skill system. Obviously the game wants you to constantly be fusing new, better personas. But the fact that keeping your best skills is a big chore actually discourages that. I often find that, while I could fuse new persona it just isn’t worth it half the time because I’ll lose at least a couple of my useful skills. What they should do is get rid of the random element in selection. Instead, give us a certain number of inheritance points and give all skills an inheritance cost (perhaps with a modifier based on the persona’s affinity for that skill type). Then just let us choose outright. That should still keep things in check and prevent every persona from having every skill but still offer a lot more incentive to develop your skill pool and fuse new personas.

This is what Golden does, actually. You can choose exactly what skills you want whenever you fuse. Though there's limits, obviously.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Sweet. Hopefully that means they'll do the same in P5.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
sainta wrote:
I have mixed feelings about Strider. It's the return of a good classic but why isn't Capcom itself developing it? The same thing happened with Devil May Cry and the reboot had casual gameplay with poor AI (not to mention a social documentary disguised as a plot). Dead Rising 3 is also being developed by a Western team and all the trailers I've watched have been too serious (nothing to do with the ridiculous style of Frank West).

Dead Rising 2 was also made by a western studio, now owned by Capcom and making the 3rd.

x_x Capcom was still the main developer for DR2. Keiji Inafune and the other Dead Rising 1 team worked on it, and Blue Castle Games only helped out with side stuff, which is why it still has it's unique charm of the first game. DR3 is entirely western studio with no original team on it with Capcom not involved at all so expect it to not be very good and more serious and shootery. The fact its bein published by Microsoft Studios and not Capcom is a good indication.
Why would I not expect to it to be very good? The E3 showing was great. As far as gameplat goes it looks fantastic and better than the other two. What does MS publishing mean, other then then probably funded the game.

Yeah it dosen't have the humor of the last two, but that humor was mostly lame and the good parts were done by the player interacting in the environment and well that's still in three.

I'd rather wait until the game comes out before damning it.

While Kenji Inefune and some of the DR staff worked on two, it was largely a Blue Castle effort. They handled the writing, level design, mission design, and just general a huge part of the production. This is'nt even talking about Off The Record, which was basically just Blue Castle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
samsonium

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Ben Jonas' poem is a homage to a famous short poem called "This is Just To Say" by William Carlos Williams.
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
In Japan, adults generally don't play video games.. its mainly teens and otaku. Games have always been made for a lower age demographic because of this... its not like America where the average gamer is in their late 20s. JRPG series will always appeal to the same demographics over there.

Hey, fair enough. I still stand by my suggestion, but I see where you're coming from.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah it dosen't have the humor of the last two, but that humor was mostly lame

The 'humor' was the only reason I personally cared about the franchise. There's been such a glut of zombie media the past 10 years and the overwhelming majority of them try to take themselves seriously and showcase some gripping drama like 'we humans are the REAL monsters' which is done to death to the point it's almost a parody at this point. Meanwhile Dead Rising has bosses like a children's entertainment mascot who goes insane and thinks he's actually the character, a fat overweight female mall cop who tortures other women out of jealousy , crazy food court chefs who cook and boil people alive, an over-the-hill lounge singer who straps bombs to people and forces them to listen to her sing, and a psycho clown who dual wields chainsaws to make kids laugh, a grocery store clerk who outfits his cart like a battle tank to kill shoplifters and all kinds of fun and creative stuff.

I'd hate to see Dead Rising lose all that charm and personality and just become another Call of Duty Zombies or Walking Dead style game that takes itself too seriously, especially by actually focusing more on shooting, where guns were mostly mediocre in the previous games to force you to be creative with your weapons. At this point you have to ask what separates it from all the other zombie stuff anymore? Though I guess since Inafune left Capcom, they don't want much to do with the franchise anymore so they handed it off to another team.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

I'd hate to see Dead Rising lose all that charm and personality and just become another Call of Duty Zombies or Walking Dead style game that takes itself too seriously, especially by actually focusing more on shooting, where guns were mostly mediocre in the previous games to force you to be creative with your weapons. At this point you have to ask what separates it from all the other zombie stuff anymore? Though I guess since Inafune left Capcom, they don't want much to do with the franchise anymore so they handed it off to another team.

They did'nt hand it off to another team. it's the same people that have been involved with 2 and Off The Record.

And yes I like how everyone talks about the shooting(as if making the option to use guns well is so bad) when a huge part of the E3 demo and what they have largely shown was melee weapon combinations.

But whatever it's Call of Duty Zombies even though that means absolutely nothing and the CoD mode with Zombies is incredibly over the top and not serious at all. I love it when people use CoD as a description, because it means nothing.

So the next Dead Rising will be an over the top thrill ride? Because thats what CoD is.

I really doubt it's going to attempt to tell some super serious story about the nature of humanity where the gameplay is about killing millions of zombies with a bat saw. Even if it's more serious, it's not telling a Last of Us type story, not with that gameplay. Which if it was trying to be CoD Zombies it wouldn't because all CoD does is have an actiony story to justify why there's a war and why you're shooting people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
It'll be great for Persona 5 to include same-sex dating options; it'll appease both the yuri and BL crowd and show they're willing make progress in their game. Just like when they developed Catherine to be about dealing with adult relationships.

I find this lovely. So you want same sex possibility not for any kind of equality reasons but to appease Yuri and BL lovers. Fantastic, because those two groups are all but composed of straight males and straight females, with maybe a small fringe that is actually gay.

I personally don't care if they put it in, though lets not kid ourselves, sales will remain roughly the same; its purely a political move, not a business one.

Also I would question your use of the term progress, I would hardly call allowing same sex couples in a game like Persona progress. Especially when more larger and popular games like the aforementioned Mass Effect and also Dragon Age have already done it.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Also I would question your use of the term progress, I would hardly call allowing same sex couples in a game like Persona progress. Especially when more larger and popular games like the aforementioned Mass Effect and also Dragon Age have already done it.

You might notice that neither of those were made in Japan. Even if you include them, they're still pretty rare in games.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
@Crispy45 You're such a shallow jerk. How does being western=bad? How does being Japanese=good? Last time I checked, Star Fox Command was considered the best Star Fox game since 64 and the main director was American, as well as a shit ton of other staff. Sure, the original creator Miyamoto was involved, but it doesn't change the fact that Americans worked on the game. It's not where, it's about it being good. There are several Japanese games, which are utter shit. Okay? Get this notion out of your head that western games are all shit and Japanese games are all good. The video game crash of 1983 is over. You'd have a point there. Too bad you're 30 years late.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I personally don't care if they put it in, though lets not kid ourselves, sales will remain roughly the same; its purely a political move, not a business one.

Japan doesn't play those kinds of politics so I don't think you have to worry about it much. They'll put in a yaoi/yuri option if they want to, not because people online complained about the lack of representation and want to be seen as progressive.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
They did'nt hand it off to another team. it's the same people that have been involved with 2 and Off The Record.

Yes, it was handed off, which is why Capcom/Inafune are not involved with it anymore. They may have worked on the second game but it was under the control of the original team. If they just worked on it as grunt programmers then that's hardly comparable to them now being totally in charge creatively. And I'm not sure how you can say CoD is as "over the top" as Dead Rising is with a straight face. It's fine if you like CoD, but they're not really comparable styles at all and just saying "CoD is a good game, who cares" misses the point of people's complaints. Not every game has to be rebranded as CoD.

YamadaKun wrote:
Crispy45 You're such a shallow jerk. How does being western=bad? How does being Japanese=good? Last time I checked, Star Fox Command was considered the best Star Fox game since 64 and the main director was American, as well as a shit ton of other staff. Sure, the original creator Miyamoto was involved, but it doesn't change the fact that Americans worked on the game. It's not where, it's about it being good. There are several Japanese games, which are utter shit. Okay? Get this notion out of your head that western games are all shit and Japanese games are all good. The video game crash of 1983 is over. You'd have a point there. Too bad you're 30 years late.

Western companies taking over for Japanese franchises has a huge stigma attached to them. It's not much of a surprise people have an issue with it. The cultural difference and market difference between the two industries pretty much always leads to heavily different experiences to the point people on every gaming site can see differences in the product already. Tons of people can tell the difference between the original Silent Hill games and the later ones, or the Metroid Prime games and canon ones, or DmC and the rest of the series.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
@TitanXL The Metroid Prime series and DMC are good games, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Plus Capcom and Nintendo still co-produced their respective franchises and own the copyrights. Not to mention, they receive a shit ton more profits than the developer. If GTA was being produced by Capcom or something, people would say that it's better than the original for being Japanese. As if Japanese games are innately better than those from the US or the UK or Denmark, which is not true in the slightest. At the end of the day, no matter where a game was made, all that matters if the game itself is good. I don't care if a game is from France. If the gameplay is good and the level design, controls and value are tight, then that is what makes me happy inside. If you think the country of game production matters in the long run, you're stupid. You just are, if you think that.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, it was handed off, which is why Capcom/Inafune are not involved with it anymore.
You mean left with the people Capcom felt did well enough with the previous two games and could handle it on their own. Yes fine, handed off then.

Quote:
They may have worked on the second game but it was under the control of the original team. If they just worked on it as grunt programmers then that's hardly comparable to them now being totally in charge creatively
Writing, level design, product directer, art direction, environment and character design, cinematic directors. Yep grunt work for sure.

Do you guys look at the actual credits for these games or when it's not a Japanese name, you don't care?
Quote:

And I'm not sure how you can say CoD is as "over the top" as Dead Rising is with a straight face.
Because I didn't. I said CoD is an over the top series that have serious enough story telling, but really are nothing more then fake military BS. It's not a style to it's own, it's not a genre, or a descriptor. They are just action games and that's all they strive to be. So when you say it's going to be "CoD Zombies what does that mean? It's going to be a dumb action zombie game? Thats what you're saying. Is it going to have the dumb humor? No, not the intentional kind either, but you know what I'm not sure it was intentional in the first one either.

And it's also funny in your attack, because the actual Zombie mode in the CoD games is pretty tongue n check. So what does it mean for a game to go "Call of Duty"? It will have a thin macho man war story? Will a Call of Duty Zombies game be like actual CoD Zombies and feature John F Kenedy and Castro teaming up to kill zombies?

Quote:
It's fine if you like CoD, but they're not really comparable styles at all
You're the one trying to compare a game that looks to be about a mechanic killing zombies with a bat to a military war FPS, not me.

Quote:
and just saying "CoD is a good game, who cares" misses the point of people's complaints. Not every game has to be rebranded as CoD.
Thats not what I said, I never even said they were good games. Have you played a CoD game? They are macho BS games that thrive on fake military realism. Almost GI Joe without the whimsy. Where does "mechanic dude who mixes a bat and a saw blade while fighting millions of zombies in a dress and hopes to escape in a Camaro" fit into fake military realism? How does that Sound like a CoD. What rebanding to CoD is going on? Is Dead Rising becoming a war game, because that's all CoD is.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm more than fine with Persona sticking to the high school/teen angst setting, though I might like to see it get less shonen-y and more dark - like, Evangelion or Mohiro Kitoh dark (e.g. teen sex, drug abuse, depression, suicide). Something really psychedelic. The kind of game I expected to play when I found out that Persona 3 has teenagers shooting themselves in the head as a major motif.

I would, however, like to see more mainline SMT games with adult characters and settings that aren't contemporary urban Japan - along the lines of Strange Journey. The possibilities of the apocalyptic setting and inspired perversity of Kazuma Kaneko's artwork seem too expansive to restrict to such a specific setting and cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
LOL. The winners really blew my stuff out of the water. I couldn't do that well with the word restriction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2