• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins;Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Does it say how many episodes there will be? if 12, the pace is a bit If like 24/26, I guess it's all right...

Hmhmhm, I really liked the 3rd episode! Not much happened, but it was a pleasant watch, and my brain does not hurt anymore.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
@Unicorn_Blade - I had the same thought. Right now, the ANN Encyclopedia is listing only 12 eppies, but that can change. If it is only a one cours show than I think they are criminally treading water. If it's two cours, then fair enough.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Moetron, Fansubwiki, and another site has the episode count listed as 24.

For those of you who want some additional knowledge, you should do a search on John Titor and the IBM 500. The description of a dystopia was interesting and not a surprise to be considering the fact that John Titor claims to be from America.

I'm really loving the characters, Makise and Mayushii are just... Heheheh, cute characters. Daru and Okabe/Okarin are funny though. I loved how they "trolled" Makise with the banana joke.

The last part when spoiler[Daru hacks into CERN, there was a message that said "Human is dead." I wonder if that has to do with Makise's death.] The episodes do have connections going on.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I woud also highly recommend you wiki John Titor, CERN, the year 2038 Unix bug and the IBM 5100, it will increase your appreciation and understanding of Steins;Gate.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Guys, I wouldn't use the ANN encyclopedia as a definite number of how many episodes there are since they always say 12/13 unless confirmed otherwise. That's why I use MAL's
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Eppie 4 and I have minor speculations. (Crap, not remembering names for few characters.)

Suzuha (?) mentions spoiler[she is a soldier. John Titor is a soldier according to mah Wiki research of him. Could she possibly be John Titor...? She seems to have knowledge of Okabe/Okarin's actions (Ep 3.)

While at the shrine, Okarin and Kurisu receive the IBN 5100 from Trap-kun's father. The father says that someone left it 10 years ago and that person said someone will need it. Who's this person? It could be a time traveler... ]

Is it me or is Makise somewhat of a tsundere? I'm loving her character and Miss Airhead Mayushii.

One last thing, Feyris Nyan Nyan!

Edit:

I like how the show keeps things simple when some things are hard to comprehend (LHC/LHD explanation). The time travel theories and many more.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
When I participate in threads for complicated anime, I like to just do a rundown of my interpretation of the story and events so far (just to boost my ego of course Laughing)
Cool

First I think pretty much all the characters are about equal to what they seem to be.

The events involving the experiments with the Phone Microwave all point to some sort of time travel paradox occurring, although that is not necessarily the case. How they obtained this mysterious microwave has not been explained.

What is happening with the bananas does not deviate from what seems to be occurring: the gel-nanas were sent into the past so when it is removed from the microwave it is as if they were sitting there for weeks perhaps months. But don't bananas start out green and turn brown? The green stuff must be mold covering the rotten bananas.

Kurisu was seen dead in Ep 1. The reason she didn't die after Okarin sent a message that day when the satellite crashed is because it changed the course of time and Kurisu was able to avoid interaction with the person who killed her (hmm I wonder who it was who killed her in the unaltered timeline). Okarin is never able to find the message he sent, that supposedly was received by Daru 2 weeks before that incident, is probably because the phone he is currently using is from a different timeline than the one he used to send the message.

All of which explains Titor's theory that time is a series of multiple timelines that are fundamentally different universes progressing in parallel. Whether there are always millions of parallel universes already happening or if certain time manipulation events creates them is uncertain.

Rather than the Phone Microwave actually being a time machine, perhaps it is simply a Gate that opens up passage between these pre-existing parallel timelines.

About seiyuu: Suzuha's is another one that's getting a lot of roles lately. She's in Astarotte's Toy, was in last year's B Kata H Kei, Oreimo and Kampfer and I'm so amazed at her versatility and all around cute voice. She is quickly getting close to landing on my short list of legendary seiyuu.
Kuranosuke

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I also highly agree with Seth and Embrace about doing the research on John Titor. It's really interesting and you'll understand more about what Okarin is talking about
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
My unscientific brain does not get all of the theory, but I think I can enjoy the series just as much with absorbing what I can.

The ep was quite slow again, except for spoiler[finding the legendary computer.] Lots of vagueness and new questions to be answered. I don't even want to start predicting what might happen next Smile I am enjoying the plot, although I must say don't care much for the characters. They are a fun bunch, but that's pretty much all I can say about them.
Kuranosuke

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
does anyone else find Okarins' mad scientist laugh hilarious? It cracks me up every time
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Everything about El Psy Congroo is hilarious. Right, Christina?

Christina is quite understanding for a tsundere. Guess she's smart enough to understand that even violence wouldn't change Okarin's mindset. Laughing
chachaboru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:02 pm Reply with quote
currently watching this anime....
i really like the part where he keeps saying "daga, otoko da!" i laughed so hard... the "tensai hentai shoujo" is pretty funny too....
i'm really confused right now about the whole gel-banana thing( i was surprised when kurisu touched and tasted it).... i hope i find the answers soon, anyway this anime sure is cool, okarin is really a mad scientist!!!
batou37

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
After episode 5 this series went from about a solid 8 for me up to about a 9.5. Great characters, it's complex, has some comedy that doesn't feel strained or shoehorned in, suspenseful moments, and it's actually science fiction! O.K. I'm sure people think a lot of anime is science fiction (anything set in space, futuristic shows, etc...) but this is almost something I could see myself reading in a hard science fiction novel by the likes of William Gibson, Frederick Pohl, Robert Heinlein, or Stephen Baxter. I just keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and the conflicts to get really involved. So part time shop keeper, is she
spoiler[ I would say obviously from the future and a successful experiment from when she said that christina knew nothing yet but is she friend or foe?]
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
So part time shop keeper, is she
spoiler[ I would say obviously from the future and a successful experiment from when she said that christina knew nothing yet but is she friend or foe?]

That's what I'm thinking as well. Though there is a small possibility that spoiler[she worked with Christina's father and harbors a little resentment towards her for something that went wrong. Christina hasn't seen her dad in 7 years so it's possible he's the person our part time warrior was talking about.] I think you're right but I just wanted to throw that out there to see what anybody else may think. If she is spoiler[in fact from the future] then who is the person whom she mentioned spoiler[had died? Okarin is my guess.]
kiddtic

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
SethMosrite wrote:
I woud also highly recommend you wiki John Titor, CERN, the year 2038 Unix bug and the IBM 5100, it will increase your appreciation and understanding of Steins;Gate.

This is true after researching the above I fell totally in love with this show.

This is exactly what anime in the near future will all be like. Main genre i.e (shounen, mecha, shoujo etc) with comedy and moe elements blended in. Its almost perfect. Mamoru Miyano is brilliant as Okari... Ehn ehm excuse me Houoin Kyouma and Kana Hanazwa is moe :3

The story might seem complex and confusing at first but after researching John Titor and Cern its pretty clear-er. Also it keeps getting better episode after episode great show loving it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 25