• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steins;Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
If this particle exists and time travel is possible, then they're definitely connected, so you could say this is the first step.

I haven't read much on the subjects, but I'm guessing that to go through wormholes and time itself, we'd need to de-materialize first, in other words, lose our mass. If that's the case, here's where this particle kicks in.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Just watched a screening that was being held in my area here for the first 4 episodes of this show. I really dug Tatum playing as Okabe. I wasn't sure when I saw the trailer but he did a really great job.

I'm still a little... on some of the female characters, but I think Trina (Makise) is awesome. Daru was pretty good as well as a newcomer. The performances were definitely quite different from the Japanese, but they really needed to be given that there isn't a good way to make something equivalent.

I definitely recommend anyone who liked the show to preorder it. I don't think you will be disappointed. It seemed like the rest of the audience was into it as well.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Is Steins Gate the #1 anime ever made?

Well on anime.net it's listed as the 3rd best anime ever. If this is true I definietly cannot wait to watch it.

I think the best 2012 anime series are Steins Gate and Shiki
Arkov

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
It's great and you'll probably enjoy it. Unfortunately, discerning whether or not it's the best anime of all time falls to personal taste. I'd probably rate it up there in my top 5.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:

Well on anime.net it's listed as the 3rd best anime ever. If this is true I definietly cannot wait to watch it.

Wait....how can you say Steins;Gate is the best of 2012 when you haven't even seen it yet? Confused

Also, Steins;Gate is actually a 2011 Anime and Shiki is 2010; the dubbed versions came out in 2012.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:

It's definitely one of my top shows and one of the few that I actually bought. In the thread you made that got locked down earlier, you mentioned that you just ordered it. Do you prefer dubs, subs or don't care? I don't like saying this, but after having watched both versions, I'd have to recommend watching the subs first. I usually root for dubs as much as possible, but I think I can't escape my bias toward the subs this time. The light-hearted comedic elements are fine dubbed and the characters sound pretty natural. But in other areas, I can't say the same.

Rukiia wrote:

Wait....how can you say Steins;Gate is the best of 2012 when you haven't even seen it yet? Confused

It was a question, not a statement. Razz
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:

Rukiia wrote:

It was a question, not a statement. Razz

Lil Kiss wrote:
That's a question.

Lil Kiss wrote:
And that there is a statement.

See the difference? She asked if it was the #1 Anime ever made, then stated that she thought it was the best of 2012, and I then asked how it was the best of 2012 when she hadn't even watched it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Just ignore Lil Kiss. She rarely has anything useful to say and only ever seems to ask open-ended nonsensical questions about whether or not something is good even though she already bought it and is planning to watch it anyway Rolling Eyes.

I'd delete her post, but I'm hoping this gets the message across to both her and everyone that is or isn't annoyed by her already about how pointless her threads/posts are.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I'd delete her post, but I'm hoping this gets the message across to both her and everyone that is or isn't annoyed by her already about how pointless her threads/posts are.

I've been annoyed with her ever since she had constantly made posts asking about the next boxset release of Monster. I wish you guys could give her a warning or something so that she knocks it off with her "Is this Anime good? I bought it yet want to know if its good" posts. They just keep getting locked and she has been doing it for years without learning anything from the locking/less than impressed posts from other users. I know that since she isn't really doing anything wrong and that we are just going to keep seeing those pointless posts. But it would be nice.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:

See the difference? She asked if it was the #1 Anime ever made, then stated that she thought it was the best of 2012, and I then asked how it was the best of 2012 when she hadn't even watched it.

Oops, you're right. I didn't notice that 2nd part. That was a rather embarrassing fail on my part.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
One thing to keep in mind is, these shows are rated by popular vote rather than critical quality. This means anyone and everyone can score them, which is great if you enjoy what's popular but not so useful if you're looking for genuine critical quality rather than crowd-pleasing.

I'm pretty sure Steins;Gate is popular for the same reason as Death Note, in that it presents a fairly well-written story that impresses the audience with how well thought-out it is but offers little of substance beneath that. Like Death Note, it plays with the concept of gray morality but doesn't really expand on its thematic potential. Unlike Death Note, however, its story is a familiar one: Okabe goes around helping girls with their personal problems and tragedies, and that's pretty much it, except it has SCIENCE. It's a good thrill ride, but little beyond that.

Hooray, unpopular opinions!
batou37

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll respectfully disagree with your take on Steins;Gate because I'm of the type that could care less for "critical quality." I follow the " I don't care what anyone else thought about it" philosophy in my media consumption. Case in point: I thought that while it had really nice visuals and an interesting dark take on a conventional story, I though PMMM was good but neither excellent nor a masterpiece.

MadShadow42 wrote:
Unlike Death Note, however, its story is a familiar one: Okabe goes around helping girls with their personal problems and tragedies, and that's pretty much it, except it has SCIENCE. It's a good thrill ride, but little beyond that. Hooray, unpopular opinions!

Although I know it's based off a VN, I never looked at it that way at all. The fact that the majority of his friends that he was helping were female was inconsequential to me (well other than Kirisu for obvious reasons.) It was more a case of correcting the damages he had done that caused the problems for the people he cared about. I guess I would think of it as an interesting sci fi slice of life that progressed into a groundhog day-like sci fi thriller. I personally really enjoyed the show and am on my second viewing at this time (well in between other things.) Hey, but that's just my take on the show Very Happy But I can say that my rating of the show has nothing to do with what others felt.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Even though Steins;Gate has its own nice little theme, the main draw about it for me was just getting to know the main character. Much like one of my other all-time favorite anime characters, Rurouni Kenshin, I felt like I got to know the protagonist inside and out. On top of that, I actually like what these characters represent and how they dealt with trials they've been put through. There are very few surprises to be had when we witness their development and that's what makes it cool to me.

And yeah, the whole thing about "critical quality" is not important to me in anime. I have my own threshold of how comfortable I can be with some quality issues, and that threshold changes all the time. It's nice to hear some sobering critiques from people who care for that though. It gives me a reference of how I should look at anything else going forward.
MadShadow42

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty, sorry if I came off as a snob there. It's not that there's much particularly wrong with Steins;Gate, I just find it to be a hollow experience at the end of the day. It's clever and it does have a likable lead, I'm just one of those people who looks for more depth and substance in his entertainment I guess, and since you brought up PMMM I found that show far more fulfilling in that regard.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Depth and substance? Isn't PMMM just about little girls getting screwed over and suffering?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 25