• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chaika - The Coffin Princess (both seasons) (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Chaika - The Coffin Princess (TV) & Chaika - The Coffin Princess AVENGING BATTLE (TV)

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance
Themes: assassins, bounty hunters, conspiracy, magical creatures, special abilities, war

Plot Summary: (Season 1) Toru Acura is a 20-year-old retired soldier meandering through life now that the war has ended. He encounters Chaika Trabant, a 14-year-old sorceress carrying a coffin, and follows her in hopes of finding meaning to his life again. The two travel with Toru's adopted sister, Akari, the employed member of the group and thus Toru's source of income.

(Season 2) The search for the remains of Emperor Gaz continuous. Chaika still in search of really knowing who he really is and what is its purpose. Similarly, the Red Chaika continues the search for the rest. The Gillette corporation continues in the mission to catch Chaika. In their adventure, they give a revealing account kept secret that the Emperor, which, Chaika, Fredrika, Toru and Akari decide to discover the secret.
----------------------------------

This is the first of very few anime I'd actually want to watch this season. Kinda excited on this one, since it's the work of the guys behind Scrapped Princess & Outbreak Company, both of which I like a lot, and because all of them have one thing in common: fantasy kingdom thingie setting, toward which I have some soft spot! Razz

Comment on 1st episode: Aaandd... I'm really glad my choice is not wrong at all! Very Happy
Competent main male lead? Check!
Competent partner(s)? Check!
Adorable white-haired girl? Check!
Traditional RPG vibe? Check! And probably the main reason I'll follow this one to the end!

Smile

Last edited by L'Imperatore on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:19 am; edited 4 times in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
First episode was okay I guess..but I didn't find their meeting established very well. Well in other words, it wasn't impacting imo. Still, the brief action was okay and I like the premise along with the ED song.

I'll be optimistic about how this will go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Unusual story, but kinda simpatico ^^
I was slightly bothered by the way spoiler[the girl talked].
Took me a few minutes to get use to it.
The story is not bad... it's certainly different.
Animation reminded a bit of some older anime.
It might just be my imagination, but I'm having some weird deja vu about it.
Think I'm gonna skip this one as well.. just not feeling it.
Gonna wait for something more up my alley.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting and well paced first episode. I've been hyping up this show for far too long, and it didn't let me down.

Sure her vocal style is rather odd, but if its because she's a foreigner, it at least makes sense.

I'm definitely in for more, and I do wonder how the plot will progress. Plus Chaika is adorable..

In other words,

Love it, Watch More, Fun Time
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He encounters Chaika Trabant, a 14-year-old sorceress carrying a coffin

I'd watch this show if inside that coffin was some kind of crazy gatling gun, and was somehow directed by Corbucci's ghost.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
They way she speaks will take awhile to get used to, but otherwise that was a decent episode.
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Liked the episode. I had no expectations for the show, so it was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Added to my queue.

Her speaking pattern was a bit off. I get the sense it's not because she's a foreigner, but for a different reason (speculation, not sure if spoiler): spoiler[like she isn't actually human].

Speaking of speculation, I'm not sure if I'm prematurely jumping to conclusions, or maybe this show wasn't meant to be a mystery, but it seems like it's fairly obvious why she's carrying around a coffin and what she's trying to accomplish. I'm hesitant to type it here, even in spoilers, because I'm scared it is right and I don't want to potentially ruin it for anyone else.

Unless it isn't meant to be a mystery. In either case, I will keep watching for magic sniper rifles and coffin hijinx.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
spoiler[They killed a unicorn!!! Crying or Very sad Right, it apparently wanted to eat them but still...]

So is there an actual reason for the way Chaika speaks? Was she raised by Tarzan or something?! Or is it just supposed to be moe!? It's pretty irritating to be honest...and i sure hope the "romance" won't involve her and the male lead (or her and anyone, for that matter...).

That aside, the first ep. was surprisingly interesting and made me want to learn more about this world and its various inhabitants.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Sure Chaika speaks a little odd, but compared to other foreigners in anime who struggle with buildings sentences, I thought that it did not come across as arrogant. I totally thought she was being voiced by someone else based on what I was hearing, but hers has not actually done a lot of major roles, she is doing one in riddle too. Main lead has some flaws, but some actual competence on his part seem alright, and his sister might work depending on chemistry. The siblings seem to remind me of Ryner and Ferris.

There is a certain RPG like charm that makes this interesting. Plus they spoiler[killed a bloodthirsty unicorn], which is totally in my list of good thing to happen in a fantasy story. I am not kidding, it totally happens in the first chapter of a novel I have been writing. Mixed with the magic circles this looks like a guaranteed watch.

As from my opinion on the plot. My guess is that Chaika spoiler[is the daughter of the emperor or whoever they said was killed, the different heroes took parts of his body and Chaika is trying to gather them to bring him back].
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly good, main character is likable, his power seems interesting (I'm guessing he'll have multiple transformation and stuff), action was okay, nothing special in either way. The bad guy don't seem to be cardboard character, although I'm guessing they'll turn out to be good guy half way trough.

I do have to wonder why when the sister destroy the restaurant they blame him… he might be jobless moocher, but at least he's not destructively violent. (although I would have liked it if she wasn't his sister and he was dating her, would make for an interesting dynamic that we never really see in anime, the MC already dating someone and not going for the mysterious girl).

The way she speak should be fine, if they actually explain it rather than just be her character quirk that threw in a the last second cause they couldn't make her interesting.

DuskyPredator wrote:

As from my opinion on the plot. My guess is that Chaika spoiler[is the daughter of the emperor or whoever they said was killed, the different heroes took parts of his body and Chaika is trying to gather them to bring him back].

Thats kinda the only real possibility, considering all the information we were given and the name of the anime. I do wish anime would stop spoiling there own damn show in the title/opening sequence.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
If you listen closely to Chaika's response when she's asked for her name, it sounds like she starts to say spoiler["Gax"], but then stops herself mid-syllable and gives her last name as "Trabant".

Also, the noble clearly recognized her. In fact, his spell died before she even entered the room (all the weapons fell to the ground). Also, there's the matter of the creature who was speaking with her at the very beginning of the episode. All these things point to her being spoiler[either the daughter of Emperor Gax, or related to him in some other fashion.]

It reminds me a little bit of Scrapped Princess, actually. And while I did catch a bit of the "Ryner/Ferris vibe", I didn't think it was a particularly strong semblance.

All in all, a decent first episode. This is one that I'll probably follow for the season.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
It's gonna be interesting to see how they'd emulate Chaika's way of speaking in English (should it ever be licensed) Confused

Also... Man, that's one badass unicorn! And... how often do you see unicorn exploding? Very Happy
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:46 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
It's gonna be interesting to see how they'd emulate Chaika's way of speaking in English (should it ever be licensed) Confused

Also... Man, that's one badass unicorn! And... how often do you see unicorn exploding? Very Happy

Shouldn't be hard. Focus! Few words. Anticipation! Easier in English.

Unicorn... undead. Then dead. Known weapon?

Like episode. Siblings... not biological. Military? Anticipation!
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Nay, my comrades, nay. They didn't just spoiler[kill a unicorn. They sawed it in half with a magical freakin anti-material rifle!] Holy crap that was badass. 10/10 for that scene!

So me watching this show concludes the stupid fubar of me mixing up shows (Fantasista Doll, Unbreakable Machine Doll and this). I'm perfectly fine with Chaika's style of speech. It's actually really refreshing to me. But what gets me is how it looks like she has 4 eyebrows. Awww, who am I kidding she's adorable. She's not my favourite coffin-carting traveller but she's certain in my top 2.

Story time! I was in a game of Pathfinder once where we had to smuggle some gear into a church for a battle and we used a coffin to keep it discreet but security on the ground was too tight so we spoiler[had to use the rooftops. We did it with flight magic though, so it's not nearly as cool as a coffin zipline.]

Pretty good ep and the setting is interesting enough. The action is already kind of fun. For some reason I get Sacred Blacksmith vibes from it, despite them having only very general similarities. I dunno, it's just a certain "feel" I get. I'm totally looking forward to how the mystery unfolds.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting, but I think I'll need another episode to make a judgment call on if I'll be frequenting. I actually was kind of lost at times with it and not because of not paying attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 23