• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Accidental Bargains

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:21 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Ever tell you about the ebay seller who sent me what I had ordered completely free (free shipping) because she felt bad that she didn't note that she could hear that the disc had come off the spindle?
It was already a bargain disc. Alien Nine, won for just a couple bucks IIRC.

Wow, what a conscientious seller. You get one of the most interesting (and under rated) shows of the last decade or so, and it's for free to boot!
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
I think he was saying he got it shipped for free, not the whole thing for free. Unless I misread what was being said.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
Alien Nine for free is badly over priced in my opinion. I tried both the manga and anime and got badly grossed out by both.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
sorry, I meant to write "+ free shipping", the plus sign didn't register.
I paid not a cent for it.

I love the show. I find the contrast of the super cute girl characters and the disturbing and gross content to be fascinating; and the way it's all analogous to hitting puberty makes it doubly so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
In Alien Nine, one girl is voted in to something she hated because she is not popular enough to object. The other two sign up for something they don't understand. Their lives are basically ruined. The teachers who should be defending them are abetting the situation. Hard times in elementary school.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Best Student Council Complete DVD Collection vols. 1-6 BRAND NEW for 29.95!

Cool
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
edit

Last edited by Bright_Spear on Tue May 06, 2014 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Adapted post from the purchases thread:

I was able to snag Ninja Scroll (TV) - DVD Complete Series Tin for $15.99. It was listed as Ninja Scroll, had multiple photos of the Ninja Scroll DVDs, cases, and the tin, but the description of the item simply said 'Appleseed DVD, 2-Disc Set, Limited Collector's Edition' which likely dissuaded people from buying it (seeing as how they likely thought the unusually low price meant that Appleseed was actually the item being sold). Being the risk taker that I am, I pounced on it anyway knowing that $16 was no sweat off my back and would be easily refunded if it was in fact the wrong item. The seller then contacted me to apologize for the error in the listing and stated that the auction was NOT for Appleseed, but that it was indeed for the Ninja Scroll tin and to see if I still wanted it. I happily replied in the affirmative Cool
Andrue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
In Massachusetts I found a store that sells old and used japanese manga for 50 cents a book. I picked up a bunch of Inuyasha, Ranma 1/2, Dr. Slump, Evangelion, and much more for very cheap. I take it that they don't view them as rare or important there, but I was able to also pick up some Legend of Zelda and Dragon Quest 4Koma graphic novels, as well as some very old Yugioh guide books about cards and video games there. It's sweet.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
One that I should've, but didn't take advantage of: one dealer at a convention I was at last year had Lucky Star 1-6 and the art box for a mere $60, when Vol. 6 alone sells for considerably more!

And one from a long time ago: I ordered Texhnolyze Vol. 1 + artbox for a fairly average price (below MSRP at least) off an Amazon seller, and discs 2-6 were mysteriously included. This was back in ~2006 before Geneon shut down, so it wasn't out of print or anything. Still a steal of a deal compared to the going rates for Geneon's boxed set or the singles, though.
killa5k7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:40 am Reply with quote
Too many bargains to list. While job training this past year I visited local pawn shops in hopes of some good deals. There were dvd's in the normal places but on the top shelf were some box sets. After looking at several anime box sets I decided to pick up several of them without knowing the prices. I ended up getting several box sets for 2 dollars. Apparently there were two guys that just thought they were regular movies. Dragonaut-The Resonance complete series, Xenosaga-The complete series, and Devil May Cry-complete series. Recently I have picked up two volumes of Sailor Moon from a local just closed down pawn shop for a dollar a piece. Sailor Moon S-Collection VI, and Sailor Moon Super S Pegasus Collection VII. Completing these of course is impossible but for a dollar. Also recently snagged Record of the Lodoss War Complete collection for 2 dollars. At a local used movie and book store I was able to grab FLAG vol. 2 for six bucks and volume 5 of Scrapped princess for about the same price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3