• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Nekocon announces NEW Voice Actors Guests John Swasey & Cherami Leigh

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
John Swasey and Cherami Leigh are new voice actors?! I don't think so Wink

This con should abandon its pretense of being an anime con and just call itself what it is: Borderlands 2: The Convention (over a year after the game came out).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I think it's supposed to mean that they are new guests to the con
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Why is Leigh in everything? She doesn't deserve to be, since she never proved herself. This may be odd for some of you, but I'd rather have the go back to the days of Animaze from the early-late 90s, where Richard Epcar, Jamieson Price, the huge black guy from Macross Plus and Bebop, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, Lia Sargent, David Hayter and even Kirk Thornton were in everything. At least they've proven themselves. Or even the early 2000s days of Animaze, where Bosch, Sheh and Stalely were in everything. I'd rather have overusage of vets than people, who never proved themselves, yet get every role.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:13 am Reply with quote
How does someone prove themselves if they aren't given roles? When have they done enough to prove themselves?

You're logic makes no sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why is Leigh in everything? She doesn't deserve to be, since she never proved herself. This may be odd for some of you, but I'd rather have the go back to the days of Animaze from the early-late 90s, where Richard Epcar, Jamieson Price, the huge black guy from Macross Plus and Bebop, Steve Blum, Wendee Lee, Lia Sargent, David Hayter and even Kirk Thornton were in everything. At least they've proven themselves. Or even the early 2000s days of Animaze, where Bosch, Sheh and Stalely were in everything. I'd rather have overusage of vets than people, who never proved themselves, yet get every role.
Cherami Leigh is not in "everything", much to my dismay as I've already got almost all anime containing her in a named role signed and I've got more cons lined up that are hosting her than I have shows remaining to be signed. She's been in less lately now that she's emigrated to CA in an attempt to be more of a "real" actress. Though I'd say that she "proved" herself.

John Swasey meets your time-period and "proving himself" requirements.

I have to admit that I don't care much for Steve Blum as he sounds much the same in everything. I'm not much of a fan of any of those actors you mention (at least the ones that I've actually heard of lol) because they've historically been in what I call "second rate" dubs, dubs that are not constructed in a way to create the illusion that they are not a hodgepodge of discreet, context-lacking recordings. Put another way, the conversations between characters do not sound natural, it sounds as if each person is delivering a monologue instead of each person sounding as though they're conversing with one another.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:45 am Reply with quote
@Echo Really? You think Animaze of all studios are 2nd rate, yet Funimation is? Really? Animaze have the best scriptwriters, I.E the ones who make sure 90-100% of the dub dialogue is what they said in the original and if it doesn't work out, they smooth out the script to make it natural in English. Funimation just re-writes the script for everything bar Mushishi and Baccano and makes everything sound like the King James Bible, in dub form. As for the VAs, the VAs in California typically blow away VAs from Texas anyday. I don't know if Bang Zoom is a subsidiary of Animaze or not, but even they are better than Funimation.
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Funimation just re-writes the script for everything bar Mushishi and Baccano and makes everything sound like the King James Bible, in dub form. As for the VAs, the VAs in California typically blow away VAs from Texas anyday. I don't know if Bang Zoom is a subsidiary of Animaze or not, but even they are better than Funimation.

I have no idea what is meant by "like the King James Bible," but Funimation has a lot of "faithful" scripts. Samurai 7, Eden of the East, and Beck come to mind (from glancing at my shelf). And just because something is different doesn't make it bad. As I Shakespeare buff I loved spotting references in Romeo X Juliet, and the accents and slang in Baccano!, while sometimes cheesy, made the series more interesting to me than any Japanese performance could. A lot of Funi's comedy stuff deviates from the Japanese, but the goal for those shows is to entertain, and comedy shouldn't require footnotes.

I personally prefer TX dubs to CA dubs. The actors seem to have a bit more range and a more natural rhythm (probably due to the looser script). I think Texas dubs are cast a little better too, probably due to the in-house studio. It's kind of a given that dubs need to be "a good job done quick," but there's a different between getting the job done and hitting the role just right.

But hey, John Swasey's a great voice actor, huh? If I still lived in VA I'd totally be going to see him! /attempt at on-topic
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@Echo Really? You think Animaze of all studios are 2nd rate, yet Funimation is? Really? Animaze have the best scriptwriters, I.E the ones who make sure 90-100% of the dub dialogue is what they said in the original and if it doesn't work out, they smooth out the script to make it natural in English. Funimation just re-writes the script for everything bar Mushishi and Baccano and makes everything sound like the King James Bible, in dub form. As for the VAs, the VAs in California typically blow away VAs from Texas anyday. I don't know if Bang Zoom is a subsidiary of Animaze or not, but even they are better than Funimation.

Animaze and Bang Zoom were not associated in any way. In fact, I don't think Animaze is in business anymore. The last thing they've appeared to dub was Resident Evil Degeneration in 2008.

Personally, I think every dubbing studio has good and bad dubs, and I really don't see how one region of the country is better than the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1