• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Thermae Romae GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skafreak51

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
It's a truly, truly great book. I'm glad some things that aren't your typical manga make it over here. And yes, the actual quality of it is beautiful.

I didn't really think of Satsuki in that light until I read this. Now I have a bit more to ponder about.
REDOG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:06 am Reply with quote
Why to focus on ancient rome, when the ancient and medieval world were filled with much more fascinating and most importantly unexplored and unrecognized civilizations that just wait that a book or a manga will be written about them. The Situation today is that so much historical literature and manga focused only on a narrow periods and cultures and only in western and japanese (mainly in manga) history kind of make the experience of literature and manga reading a lifeless experience. Even though this manga is attacking the ancient roman period from a different angle with the subject of bath engineering (which is good i guess) it is still not enough to cover the lack of manga that takes place in, say, precolonial america or africa. Now THAT will be more original or interesting.

Despite that, sounds like a good manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1