• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Fist Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
Mike mentions the movie being on Netflix.

My only experiences with FoTNS are when I try to read the manga (but get distracted by other stuff), seeing the Streamline movie dub, and that live action movie.
My sisters husband used to live in Japan as a kid and used to watch the TV show. Along with Dragonball, Gegege No Kitaro, and Galaxy Express 999. He even has a old VHS tape that shows the top 10 anime from... 80 something. It as all 4 of these shows on it. He showed me the Streamline dubbed movie back when they first started dating. I think that was in junior high or freshman year of high school.

Been meaning to watch the TV show on Hulu, but just haven't gotten around to it.
chao8971

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Man it is always great to see some Fist of the North Star love. I fell in love with the show after watching some of it on Crunchy Roll. I ended up picking up the Discotek releases of the show and ended up watching it all sometime last year. As of right now I've picked up everything FotNS released in the US DVD wise (besides the live action movie). I even got Toshio Furukawa to sign my first box set since he voiced shin.

When it comes to my favorite character it really is had to pick a certain one. So many characters major and minor have a lasting impact. Ken I think will always be my favorite by default. The story behind him as well as the amazing voice talent of Akira Kamiya makes him a amazingly great character. Besides him I guess I would say Roah, and then Fudo. Both of these characters always seem to interest me.

I got a question that someone might know when Mike mentions New Fist of the North star and talks about it being letter-boxed is he talking about the older versions that would come bundled with Neo-Tokyo or the newer release? I've considered picking it up just to get a non-letter boxed version.
Zump

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that Fist of the North Star has been getting some love lately. It's one of the classics of 80's anime, and it deserves it place in anime history.

Rei is my favorite character besides Kenshiro. Aside from the fact that he's voiced by Kaneto Shiozawa, he's a total badass and a warrior of justice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2