• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Eligible for Oscar [2005-11-17]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
Howl's might get a nomination, since the Academy likes Miyazaki...but I would put my money on Corpse Bride. If I had money, that is Anime hyper
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:38 am Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I wonder if the FMA movie might ever be up for nomination if/when it makes its way over to the states (assuming it has some sort of theatrical release).

Have you acually seen the FMA movie? Even the fandom is very split on what to think of it, it certainly won't appeal much at all to anyone who's never seen the series...
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
What the hell happened to The Place Promised in Our Early Days? It's not even possible to be nomiated? It's by far the best of the bunch.

My guess is, it didn't have a wide-enough theatrical release. But in any case, this is finally the year when the problem with this category becomes painfully obvious: as *movies*, none of the candidates can hold their own against the live-action nominees in the other categories. So really, it almost becomes like one of those second-tier technical achievement awards.

The other interesting thing is that (although I have no idea what Gulliver's Travel and Hoodwinked are), the non-anime nominations are all either CG or stop motion. Which is as good a reminder as any that outside of Japan, traditional feature-length animation in pretty much dead...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Chicken Little probably has the edge. It's not a good film, but it's the most vanilla of the bunch, and the Academy will finally be able to give an award to a Di$ney film, and not just films distributed by Disney. The Academy already gave an award to the Wallace and Grommitt short, so they may not feel an obligation to reward Nick Park twice. No chance in hell of Corpse Bride winning, though. If it did, I guess it'd be almost as good as if anime won.
But the Academy really like Nick Park. He has three Oscars: one for Creature Comforts, one for A Close Shave, and one for The Wrong Trousers - and the only reason A Grand Day Out didn't win was that it was nominated the same year as Creature Comforts. My coin of the realm would be on there being another statuette in the Aardman Studio canteen pretty soon.

(Though, personally, I'd like to see Miyazaki win another.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
sinistertaco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I wonder if the FMA movie might ever be up for nomination if/when it makes its way over to the states (assuming it has some sort of theatrical release).

That has about as much chance of happening as a retroactive award being handed out to the first Pokemon movie.

And here come the Otaku now "OMG! FMA AND POKEMON AREN'T EVEN THE SAME!" blah blah blah....
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Robots? Madagascar? How do they make these lists anyway, just jot down whatever animated movies come into their head? Those two may be a fun way to use up an hour or so of free time, but I really can't imagine myself giving either one an award. (Unless they had a category for "Public Mode of Transportation Most Resembling a Pinball Machine.")

It'd be awesome if Howl's Moving Castle won, not only to give Disney something nice for the box cover, but also to increase the chances of anime movies getting wider releases. Steamboy (Which I have not yet seen, so don't ask for my opinion on it.) wouldn't have been on half as many screens if Spirited Away didn't give anime such a big push closer to the mainstream.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ladies and gentlemen, we can forget ANY of the japanese films winning. The "academy" doesn't care about anime and they won't reward anime, regardless of how good it may be.

And the winner is Disney/Pixar AGAIN for Finding Nemo part 17!!!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
The "academy" doesn't care about anime and they won't reward anime, regardless of how good it may be.

So SPIRITED AWAY isn't anime?

Next time, please take a couple seconds to get your facts straight before complaining about how the world is against you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
space clam wrote:

Not a chance in hell (would be a delayed release, considering the time it'll take for funimation to finish off the TV and DVD run, and it is, for all of it's technical merit and what not, still a movie attached to a CN TV series that hocks off video games and cards and stuff. Sort of puts a wrench in the spokes of artistic integrity)

When you say "Hocks off," are you saying that the FMA series rides on the success of the games and TCG? If so, you're wrong. Everybody hates the FMA games to death for being bland and repetitive (just some RPG with FMA characters thrown in, basically) and the only card games that are doing well are the Pokemon and Yugioh TCGs. Kids probably don't even know about the FMA or Inuyasha games, anyway.

If that's not what you meant, then what exactly does "hocks off" mean, then?

GATSU wrote:

Yet another lame animated movie from the "geniuses" in Hollywood. Rolling Eyes Like anyone wants to go see some knockoff of an old kids' story.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
When you say "Hocks off," are you saying that the FMA series rides on the success of the games and TCG?

No, because when you "hock" something, you're selling it. FMA is a major merchandise vehicle in Japan was Steven's point. And while that doesn't automatically disqualify it from being potentially either artistically valid or Oscar-worthy, the fact that the movie is still the sequel of a cult-success TV show known by only a relatively small margin of people in this country (and won't even come out over here until mid-late 2006 at the earliest) is certainly a very strong mark against it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm amazed that people think that Robots has as much of a chance to get nominated as either Madagascar or Chicken Little. Robots just got released too early in the year to be much of a contender.

. . . No, I'm pretty sure it's not a contender because it was a bad movie.
remember love

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
I'm amazed that people think that Robots has as much of a chance to get nominated as either Madagascar or Chicken Little. Robots just got released too early in the year to be much of a contender.

. . . No, I'm pretty sure it's not a contender because it was a bad movie.

Well that was very very useless response.

Anyways I had a question that's kind of off-topic...Was Ghost in the shell ever nominated for an oscar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LightNightmare148

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
When is Howl's Moving Castle even released in the States anyway? To DVD I mean.
pythos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
There is no release date for the Howl's DVD in N. America. (See today's Answerman.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5